Objects showing up in Sheetcam but not Inkscape

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Objects showing up in Sheetcam but not Inkscape

Post by Glstiles »

I have seen this problem happen before but I don't remember what the causes/fixes were for it. Someone tried to make me a file but it was terrible so I had to redo all of it and after importing the SVG into Sheetcam, there is tons of extra shapes and whatnot that cannot be seen in Inkscape. Is this a problem with Sheetcam or Inkscape and how do I fix it?
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (2).png
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Objects showing up in Sheetcam that cant be seen in Inkscape

Post by adbuch »

See if you have any better luck with this one. It would also be helpful if you would post your original file that is giving you problems.
Thanks,
David
blackfarm svg image.jpg
blackfarm.dxf
(367.24 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
blackfarm from lb.svg
(145.32 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You might also try selecting all and then "Path, Combine" in Inkscape before saving your file for import to SheetCam.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You may want to check the display selection in Inkscape. There are 2 ways of showing the outline of a drawing that if mixed it will have things hidden.
Many like to use the outline verse the normal display when looking at a drawing for a plasma project. I like to use the remove fill way to see the outline of a drawing, the display will always show that where wit the outline if you switch to normal it disappears. This has been corrected with the newer version on Inkscape, so it does not make any difference which display you use it shows as an outline in SheetCam.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Great point Tom! There could be objects not visible in Normal display mode which are visible in Outline display mode.

Here is an example.
Inkscape 1.jpg
Inkscape 2.jpg
David
knight7338
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Objects showing up in Sheetcam but not Inkscape

Post by knight7338 »

i think David nailed it with the "You might also try selecting all and then "Path, Combine" in Inkscape before saving your file for import to SheetCam.
David" comment. i also have had this happen for me it occurs when i trim or edit a shape and forget to combine it, sheetcam then somehow recreates the previously edited path for me usually an edited circle that then is recreated to a complete circle in the pattern.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

knight7338 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:12 pm i think David nailed it with the "You might also try selecting all and then "Path, Combine" in Inkscape before saving your file for import to SheetCam.
David" comment. i also have had this happen for me it occurs when i trim or edit a shape and forget to combine it, sheetcam then somehow recreates the previously edited path for me usually an edited circle that then is recreated to a complete circle in the pattern.
Yes - I have had the same thing happen importing a saved Inkscape file to Design Edge. I did not do the "Path, Combine" after editing and before saving, and it showed up in Design Edge as separate parts at different locations on the screen. So be sure to do "Path, Combine" before saving to avoid this problem.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The OP Glstiles has not been back. Glstiles - please post your original file that you saved from Inkscape that was creating this problem so we can have a look and try to help you.
Thanks,
David

Return to “Inkscape”