Cutmaster 101 Won't Fire but Air Flows

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
3161pauls
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutmaster 101 Won't Fire but Air Flows

Post by 3161pauls »

Hi everyone, new to the forum.
I’m struggling with my cutmaster 101 and thought someone here might be able to help me.
I bought the machine second hand and it was working fine. I went to use it one day and it started to cut but then it shut down and tripped the circuit breaker. Now it will switch on but won’t arc. Air is flowing when trigger pulled but no arc. Also the DC indicator is not lit up.
I understand it’s quite d as n old machine but would love to get it working again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutmaster 101

Post by weldguy »

If you place the 3 position switch in the lower position air will flow, what does your pressure gauge read at the back of the machine with the gas flowing? I think you should be around 70 psi with air flowing.

Clean the beveled edge on the plunger of the start cartridge where it contacts the cutting nozzle with a scotchbrite pad to remove the arc pitting or replace the start cartidge. The arc pitting causes the plunger to stick to the nozzle sometimes and you will not get an arc because the plunger can't lift.

Check those 2 things and get back at us.
3161pauls
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Cutmaster 101 Won't Fire but Air Flows

Post by 3161pauls »

Ok, I’ll check those out and let you know.
Thank you 👍
3161pauls
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 3161pauls »

Hi again,
I had another look at my plasma today, I checked air pressure when flowing and it was above 70 psi.
I fitted a new start cartridge and tips and still no arc.
I’m not getting a DC indicator light on the panel, could this be part of the problem ?
Any help appreciated
Thanks.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

3161pauls wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:17 pm Hi again,
I had another look at my plasma today, I checked air pressure when flowing and it was above 70 psi.
I fitted a new start cartridge and tips and still no arc.
I’m not getting a DC indicator light on the panel, could this be part of the problem ?
Any help appreciated
Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by "DC indicator light". Are you referring to the power on indicator showing that AC power is turned on? It's possible that you have a blown internal fuse. You could refer to the manual for a troubleshooting guide.

https://www.gasandsupply.com/docs/VIC_l ... 0X4642.pdf

David
3161pauls
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 3161pauls »

D671D738-D1EB-4B1F-8EEA-86C907A0580B.jpeg
Hi David,
Thanks for getting back to me.

Please see attached photo, my AC light is on and the light to say the sir pressure is ok but no DC light.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

If memory serves me right the DC indicator light only illuminates when the machine is cutting. If you are not getting an arc you will not get this light on.

I went back to your original post and see that it blew your circuit breaker when this issue started. Nor sure how I missed that but I suspect that due to that you have an electrical malfunction inside.

Your best to open it up and have an initial inspection to try and find something blown and go from there.
3161pauls
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 3161pauls »

Ok thanks, I wasn’t sure if the DC light stayed on or just while cutting . The first thing I did when it stopped was open it up and check inside. I removed most of the smaller pcbs. Except for the main board And inspected them for signs of blown or damaged components. There’s one fuse which was fine. I think my next call is an electronics guy.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”