Cutmaster 60i won’t stay on

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cutmaster 60i won’t stay on

Post by MUFOSTAA »

Anybody have Cutmaster 60i experience? I have mine (2017 manufacture date) plugged into 50A outlet and breaker and air is hooked up to a husky 60 gallon. When I flip the switch, the display comes on momentarily (between one and two seconds) then cuts off without flipping the switch or the breaker. Any ideas?? I have a Millermatic 251 I use on the same outlet without issue.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutmaster 60i won’t stay on

Post by weldguy »

I suspect that would be an internal malfunction. Have you opened it up to see if it is covered in plasma dust?
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

Thanks for responding. I just bought it from a guy who still had the original consumables in it. It looks brand new, he said he was getting insufficient power codes and insufficient air codes. I bought it site unseen, because it was so new. I had concern at first that it may be 3 phase but I called esab this morning and it is definitely single phase. I am afraid internal as well, just not sure how to proceed/ what to check.
Last edited by MUFOSTAA on Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

weldguy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:29 am I suspect that would be an internal malfunction. Have you opened it up to see if it is covered in plasma dust?
Not sure if it tags you in my response or not.. thanks so much for your input.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

No problem, wish I could be of more help. I have a decent amount of experience with Thermal plasma cutters but have never encountered this issue ever.

It's like its firing up and then detects an issue then shuts down. Before it shuts itself off do you here a click like a large relay contact closing?

Are you confident the consumables are installed in the torch correctly? I know that seems silly but am at a loss on this one.
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

I’m not super knowledgeable on plasma cutters, but I feel fairly confident that I have everything installed correctly. Is there a way for me to submit a video? Sorry, new to the forum. Hopefully soon I’ll be a contributor.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

The only way I know to put a video on this site is if it is a YouTube video, you can post the link to the YouTube url in your post
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

Well, it came on! Came home and was going to make a video of my breaker, outlet and the welder plugged into it and working. Lo-and-behold…. Came right on. With a few codes. The only one I couldn’t get to clear is E012. I am thinking start cartridge because it is the only component that is not brand new. I messed with it a few times and got one small cut out of it, but then throwing the code again. Any other ideas besides start cartridge? Thanks
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Awesome, great news. E012 sounds like a start cartridge to me also. If the 60i still uses the SL60 or SL100 torch consumable the start cartridge has a spring loaded plunger. The end of this plunger is beveled and this beveled plunger contacts the nozzle. What happens is the beveled edge on the start cartridge will arc to the nozzle sometimes and pit the surface of the bevel. This can cause the start cartridge plunger to stick to the nozzle and throw codes like this. Get a piece of emery cloth or scotchbrite and smooth out the beveled edge on the cartridge to prevent sticking and this may fix that error.
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

Thank you!!
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

I’m back… :( so, I got the machine working, and I got a couple of cuts out of it. For some reason it has a really hard time piercing the metal. I’m at 60A with plenty of air trying to cut .220 steel plate. Takes about a second to pierce even starting at the edge of the metal and my travel speed is insanely slow in order to continue to cut. When completed there is a lot of dross as well. I’ve tried turning up the air a bit with no change. One thing I have noted is that when it reports voltage at startup it is saying 200. I haven’t heard of 200V before though. Usually 208 is the bottom line. Not sure if that’s the issue or if there’s a way to change that. Should be 220V coming from the breaker… thanks in advance
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

My Hypertherm takes 500ms to pierce .250" steel at 60 amps, your 1000ms does not sound out to lunch but I expect you pierce time should be similar.

How slow is insanely slow?
What is the distance between the torch and material when cutting? ( pause the machine mid cut and measure with feeler gauge)
Is your ground clamp securely on a clean portion of the material?

Your likely reading output volts not input volts but I have never used one of the 60i units so I am not sure. I wouldn't worry about it and it likely has absolutely nothing to do with your cut issues.
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

It has a drag tip on it, so I am using that. I’m not sure the exact gap, but I will look into it further. As for speed it took probably 10-15 seconds to cut 3 inches. Ground clamp is in new condition on new metal, but I did not grind off the mill scale.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ya so your going roughly 12 ipm, that's super slow which is why your seeing so much dross.

I think the tips are all pretty much the same whether for drag or machine cutting, I believe they use a special cap for drag cutting.

Pictured here is the drag cap, is this what your referring to when you say drag tip?
drahcap.jpg
With drag consumables in place you will not get close enough to get a good cut unless your pretty much dragging on the plate. You can unscrew that drag cap and run without it.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

@MUFOSTAA

Any updates?

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”