System runs on "DOS" -Opening DXF files

General software related questions should be posted here.
nostawpres
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

System runs on "DOS" -Opening DXF files

Post by nostawpres »

Hello, new to the site here and this might have already been covered here. I have a large double burn table it has two 5' X 10' tables and the system runs on DOS I also have a plasma cam 4' x 4' which you know runs on Windows. I can draw the part in autocad and save in a dxf for either system. But i'm not smart enough to convert dxf files from let's say
Sign Tourch or some other software to burn on our big tables. We make alot of fire rings to give away for benefits and it is a real pain on the smaller table. Could anyone explain how to do it?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: System runs on "DOS"

Post by jimcolt »

On the PlasmaCam it is extremely easy to import .dxf files.

I would suggest opening up the PlasmaCam manual (it is on the DVD that came with the system, I printed a copy for reference) and follow the directions exactly for importing .dxf files. Just takes a few seconds...then you convert to cut path....insert your lead ins, set the cut parameters (cut speed, height control settings, kerf compensation, etc.) and push cut!

For the other machine...you will have to refer to the post processor (G-Code) software that was designed for the machine. If you can provide dtails regarding the cnc control on that machine...someone can probably help you out.

Jim Colt
nostawpres
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by nostawpres »

I believe the control is cybermation, I think someone said the system is called UNIX I know it runs in DOS
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

I'm not sure I understand your question, but you should be able to work with clipart the same as a part, then export a final DXF, which should work on any system that supports DXF, if the old system only works with gcode it'll be a little harder because you'll have to set up some software to generate compatible gcode, which can be tricky for torches.

I made a DXF to gcode tool one time, haven't used it in a long time, the only problem I remember is the 'Add Tangential Pierce / Entry Cuts' feature is incomplete (and backwards), and it doesn't have kerf compensation, be sure to add that to the DXF before converting to gcode

Unix and DOS are similar but different, DOS software won't run on Unix or vice-versa, as far as I know. Either one will make it hard to find any good vector software for either platform, as far as I know....

Return to “General Discussion”