Some Woodwoorking CNC Projects

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
tstturner
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Some Woodwoorking CNC Projects

Post by tstturner »

I know this is out of place, but some contrast to show how CNC on the wood side works. I'm making my entry into the metal side of the house bringing this experience if anyone has questions.

Thanks
Attachments
20190203_171754.jpg
20181229_125325.jpg
20181213_124707.jpg
20181210_160025.jpg
20181210_155956.jpg
20181116_143857.jpg
20181116_143852.jpg
20180124_163813.jpg
20180115_104349.jpg
20180112_183742.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Some Woodwoorking CNC Projects

Post by adbuch »

You have some great woodworking skills and a very nice setup there in your garage/shop. I particularly like those box joints on that wooden chest. What program is that in your second photo? I "dabble" in woodworking, but nothing like what you are doing. Great work!
David
tstturner
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tstturner »

adbuch wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:57 pm You have some great woodworking skills and a very nice setup there in your garage/shop. I particularly like those box joints on that wooden chest. What program is that in your second photo? I "dabble" in woodworking, but nothing like what you are doing. Great work!
David
That program was Vision's software. I just drew up the hopechest in solidworks and exported the dxf to vision for post processing. Vision software was very unintuitive.

I usually build cabinets and furniture by hand on the tablesaw and router table, but with a cnc router, cutting out the stiles and rails, felt like I was cheating. But everything did fit perfectly after designing it on cad.
Attachments
20190204_174744.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

very nice you must have one heck of a dust collector, :Yay am I wrong in thinking the Navy anchor was a laser marking action.
You are expanding your CNC skills to plasma getting more fun from tools :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am very nice you must have one heck of a dust collector, :Yay am I wrong in thinking the Navy anchor was a laser marking action.
You are expanding your CNC skills to plasma getting more fun from tools :Like
Yes - I was curious about that as well. It sort of looks like laser work, but when I zoom in it is hard to tell. That's one tool I don't have yet. I bought a small one several years ago, but ended up giving it to a friend before I ever used it. But it was for smaller work, and couldn't handle anything larger than about 8x12 inches or so.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Let me put a bug in your ear, sometime back I bought a small laser and mounted it to my CNC table. It worked very well but I guess it was to cheap as I could not get it to modulate the beam. So like many projects its on the back burner for now. It used the PWM output to control the modulation for the shading of the level of burn on the object. There are software packages to do this type of work (lightburn is one) I would not be surprised if others like Fusion 360 could control the PWM outputs too.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
tstturner
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tstturner »

I did have some laser work on that project. Outsourced it because that's not in my wheelhouse...
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tstturner wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:43 am I did have some laser work on that project. Outsourced it because that's not in my wheelhouse...
OK! Thanks for the update. It's always hard to be able to do everything yourself.
In my case, I farm out lots of parts for cnc laser cutting, even though I have a cnc plasma table. And they can usually do the entire job for what it would cost me just for the steel plate. Lots of 3/8' thick and some 1/4" for my P-Max machines. I also have them do my radius gauges.

Many of the plates have laser etched cross hair marks for drilling and etched lines for lining up for welding. And they can get them accurate to within a few thousands of an inch. Same for overall plate dimensions.

David
p-max_ws_basic_kit.jpg
p-max_ws_basic_kit.jpg (85.98 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
p-max_ws_y-axis_kit.jpg
p-max_ws_y-axis_kit.jpg (92.39 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
radiusgauge3.jpg
radiusgauge4.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Just in case anyone is curious what a P-Max is, it is a reciprocating power hammer for shaping sheet metal. Used by many automotive restoration shops, marine restoration, and artists for metal sculptures, and so on. They buy my kit, weld up the frame from my plans, and have a nice machine when finished. The picture below shows the one I use here in the shop.
David
2010_1221p-max_kit_photos_20030.jpg
2010_1221p-max_kit_photos_20030.jpg (88.5 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
And here is a video of the P-Max in action. I'm making a sample hood scoop just to demonstrate some of the capabilities.
The last photo shows the finished small scoop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGrtL6p0Fk
P-Max demo video.jpg
P-Max demo video final result.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

With the right equipment some people are truly artists, a joy to watch thanks. :Like :Like :Yay
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

That's awesome David! Just checked out your website...BLOWN AWAY! That PMax is awesome!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks guys! It's fun to work with metal (and wood, plastic, etc) and metal shaping with the P-Max is just one more way to help create a part. In the old days, guys would pound the sheet metal in to a hollowed out tree stump to shape (stretch and shrink) their sheet metal parts. The P-Max power hammer just helps to "automate" the process - sort of like cnc plasma cutting compared to the old way of cutting by hand with a oxy/acetylene torch. I'm glad you like the website.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Metal working another fun sport, :Yay I build a few Bead Rollers and here is the last Bead Roller I developed. I sold plans all over the world for it. Mine and 2 other builds from those plans.
finished pictures (10).jpg
Bead Roller (1).jpg
Bead Roller (1).jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
Richard Pykett's Bead Roller (1).jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - those are nice looking "beefy" units, and I particularly like the top diagonal support. What size rollers do these use? And were you making your own rollers, or using some others that were/are commercially available?

Just curious - did you at one time sell plans on Ebay (or elsewhere) for a machine that was a combination English Wheel/planishing hammer, or maybe it was a bead roller/English Wheel? I remember seeing some photos on Ebay years ago and I think the guy was in Florida.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I did machine the die I used but also for those that wanted to use commercial dies the shaft ends could be machined to the OD for those dies. I think mine were about 2-1/2" in diameter. And yes that was me on eBay selling the Combo E Wheel/ Bead Roller. Here is a corny video of that unit.
big die.jpg
dies 2 A.jpg
roller dies and shapes A.jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - I just finished watching your English Wheel/Bead Roller demonstration video - very nice!! You put a lot of time and effort into that project and it really shows in the final result. Did you build very many of those machines for customers, or were they more interested in buying your plans and building it themselves? And I like that removable support table. I've seen something similar on the Mittler Bros machines lately, but you were probably ahead of them on that one. Great work!
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I build the prototype for the plans, and some dies for a few customers. I do not have the facilities for building large numbers of equipment, only a home shop. I have built 9 CNC tables, which allowed me to see and make changes to the design for the slider assemblies. Cut and sold parts for those also. Which allowed me to bank roll new projects. Your setup is in a different ball park than I am.
One of the real advantages to both the Bead Roller and E Wheel combo is the quick release for removing the material as you use it. shown here

It seems we have hijacked this post sorry.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - I really like the features you've incorporated into your 5th generation bead roller. Particularly the sliding top shaft and cam-lock lever. That short lower axle is also great for clearance for larger curved parts. Very Nice!! I have sent you an email inquiring about the plans. I have also sent you a link to download the P-Max Pullmax Style Reciprocating Power Hammer files.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks David :Like :Like :Like :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:11 am Thanks David :Like :Like :Like :Like
Tom - you are very welcome! Hope you can find time to get started on you new power hammer build. And from what I have seen so far, those bead roller plans looks like a great resource for building a deluxe bead roller.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

And by the way - thanks for the tip on the roller material. I use heat treated material for my hammer dies, but my English Wheel anvil rollers are made from 4140 annealed. 1018 would work as well, but I stick with the 4140 just in case a customer wants to go ahead and have them heat treated.
David
16_piece_anvil_set_1.jpg
16_piece_anvil_set_1.jpg (97.73 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

That some fine looking work there, put a tool in some people's hands and they become artists. :Like :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:12 am That some fine looking work there, put a tool in some people's hands and they become artists. :Like :Like
Thanks Tom! My Nakamura Tome Slant 1 CNC Turning Center (lathe) gets most of the credit. But I do contribute by writing the programs - which is the fun part.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Reminds me of the old funny saying "He who dies with the most tools wins" Good show :Like :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”