Hypertherm DIP switch settings

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
trainboy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hypertherm DIP switch settings

Post by trainboy »

Hypertherm 45xp with machine torch. Page 108 owners manual says set DIP switches to 20.1:1 for Plasmacam cutting systems. Currently set to factory setting of 50:1. Can someone confirm this. thanks.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm DIP switch settings

Post by adbuch »

"The voltage divider produces an analog DC voltage that increases with a longer arc and decreases with a shorter arc. It has 5 settable ratios (20:1 , 21.1:1 , 30:1 , 40:1 , and 50:1 ) that allow you to match up the output voltage level to many commercially available height control systems on the market. Hypertherm height controls use the 50:1 ratio, so that is the default setting. If you have a PlasmaCam table...it uses the 21.1:1 setting. The ratio is changed by pulling the cover off the Powermax and setting a small series of switches per instructions in the operators manual."

So the correct setting is 21.1:1.

David
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

trainboy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:14 pm Hypertherm 45xp with machine torch. Page 108 owners manual says set DIP switches to 20.1:1 for Plasmacam cutting systems. Currently set to factory setting of 50:1. Can someone confirm this. thanks.
To know for yourself(and adjust accordingly), unplug the unit, remove the cover and take a look at it..
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yes - you will need to remove the cover to change the setting from 50:1 to 21.1:1. The directions in your manual explain the procedure in detail.
David
trainboy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by trainboy »

I said 20.1:1. I was wrong, it is 21.1:1 as you both are saying. I recently sold my hand held 45xp and I didn't change the DIP switches in that machine. Seemed to cut just fine. However, my mother board and hard drive in my PC died. Could the 50:1 have caused this?
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

All that setting does is change what voltage signal is sent to your thc. If you have the wrong setting, you would just have to adjust your thc to get the cut height to be correct. It won't fry anything.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

And since the Plasmacam thc does not offer the option to adjust this via software setting, you need to physically change the voltage divider setting to match the divided arc voltage to the levels compatible with the software/hardware. If you were previously using a hand torch with 45xp, then you had installed the Plasmacam torch control cable - which includes this 21.1:1 divider incorporated into the cable. If using a hand torch, then the CPC settings have no effect. You will also need the appropriate torch control cable for you cpc port. If you don't already have one, then Robert Johnson has them available at his Learn Plasmacam store.
David

https://www.490creations.com/products/c ... face-cable
cpc cable.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

trainboy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by trainboy »

I ordered Hypertherm #428653 from an online retailer.....and I set the DIP switches to 21.1:1.
thanks for the info.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Sounds good! Let us know how it works out.
David
trainboy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by trainboy »

The hypertherm tech told me to get the #428653. WRONG......this is the kit that goes inside the plasma cutter. I told him I had the newest 45xp with the CPC port built in. I need the cable that connects to the CPC port and my control box. Another week....lost. The hypertherm manual, page 104 shows a cable from CPC to a 6 pin connector, Welders Supply cable shows a CPC connector but individual wires where the 6 pin connector should be.....How frustrating.....
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Ah, what a bummer. Nothing seems easy anymore.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

trainboy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:31 pm The hypertherm tech told me to get the #428653. WRONG......this is the kit that goes inside the plasma cutter. I told him I had the newest 45xp with the CPC port built in. I need the cable that connects to the CPC port and my control box. Another week....lost. The hypertherm manual, page 104 shows a cable from CPC to a 6 pin connector, Welders Supply cable shows a CPC connector but individual wires where the 6 pin connector should be.....How frustrating.....
This is the cable you need. Robert Johnson makes them and sells them at his site.
David

https://www.490creations.com/products/c ... face-cable
cpc cable.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Also available from Jim Colt at PJ MetalFab in 12, 18, and 24 ft. lengths.
David

http://www.pjmetalfab.com/plasma-cam-ac ... play-cable
cpc cable pj metal fab.jpg

trainboy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by trainboy »

That's where I ordered it from. Is there anything else I need to do?...thanks, David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Directions should be included for installation. I think it is basically set your CPC voltage divider, plug in the cable, and start cutting. What Design Edge upgrades (if any) do you have? Be sure to us the proper settings for the material and thickness you are cutting. The mechanized cut charts in your manual will tell you the appropriate settings for pierce height, cut height, cut speed, pierce delay time, current setting, and kerf width. Also be sure to auto-calibrate your Z shift and arc voltage shift before your first cut. Let us know how you make out.
David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I FINALLY got some more cable in stock to make these and have them back in stock on our website!! The supply chain issues have been a mess, the 1000' spool that I usually use has been on backorder from the manufacturer for months. I think it's set to ship sometime in December!!!!!!! Anyway, I got some shorter spools in to get some stock in the meantime so I apologize to anyone who might have lost time waiting and look forward to not running out in the future!!
trainboy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by trainboy »

I reordered the CPC cable from Robert Johnson, he has them now in stock. I received it in 4 days. I had to dispute my credit card charges with PJ Metal Fab....it's been 11 days since I ordered the cable from them and haven't heard a word. Don't know what happened to this vendor.....
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

trainboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:09 pm I reordered the CPC cable from Robert Johnson, he has them now in stock. I received it in 4 days. I had to dispute my credit card charges with PJ Metal Fab....it's been 11 days since I ordered the cable from them and haven't heard a word. Don't know what happened to this vendor.....
Jim Colt has been occasionally active on the Plasmacam Facebook Group, but I think his son is now running the PJ Metal Fab site.
David

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”