Hypertherm Powermax 45XP question CPC and RS-485

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Cere19
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm Powermax 45XP question CPC and RS-485

Post by Cere19 »

I'm currently working to build a DIY plasma table and got the frame all welded up, need to work on adding the electronics. Read somewhere the backlog on Hypertherm units so I stopped at the local distributor and they happened to have one in stock but it was the base model (088112) so I bought that to make sure I had my plasma cutter for once I have the table up and running. I had bought electronics for the table but now I'm leaning towards going LinuxCNC so I would have to get different electronics compared to the cheap breakout board that I had purchased. I'm planning to have a THC controller on it, my question is I need both the CPC receptacle with voltage divider (428653) as well as the RS-485 serial interface (428654) being I will have a THC on the table? The CPC controls the on/off of the torch as well as telling the table to start to move where the RS-485 is for the adjusting of the torch power? That's where I currently get confused trying to figure out if I need one or both or if I'm putting the cart before the horse and need to figure out my electronics first.

Thanks
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm Powermax 45XP question CPC and RS-485

Post by robertspark »

you don't "need" rs485. it's nice to have. it does not adjust the current on the fly, as it's not fast enough (it can adjust the air pressure too

the CPC and voltage divider will help.... but there are other ways of getting the transfer signal (using a simple reed switch and a couple of turns of the workpiece clamp)..... and using a thcad plus a couple of additional resistors you can get away without the voltage divider.... but in my opinion it simplifies things and my time is very expensive at present due to other commitments.... so I would just buy it and move on to other things.... your view point and valuation of your time may be different or free... YMMV each to their own

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pla ... rimer.html

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pla ... eed-arc-ok
Cere19
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Cere19 »

Thank you Robert for the response, time is limited for me with having a newborn so I'll go with the CPC and voltage divider and move onto other things on the table.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Cere19 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:59 pm Thank you Robert for the response, time is limited for me with having a newborn so I'll go with the CPC and voltage divider and move onto other things on the table.
I think that is a good choice.
David

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”