Powermax 45XP vs 1000 g3

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
MaikTheBike2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 45XP vs 1000 g3

Post by MaikTheBike2 »

Hello,

Ive got some questions about hypertherm plasma cutters:

I am thinking about buying a new hypertherm powermax 45 xp (2450€ with hand-torch or a used machine like the powermax 1000 G3 (used for 1250€) to use it with my homemade CNC-table.
What are the differences between both machines ? How does the cut quality on those machines compare ?
Can I use fine-cut on both machines and how good is it ?

What would you recommend ?

How is it possible to CNC-cut with the Powermax 45XP using the hand torch ? Ive read that its only possible to CNC-cut with machine-torch on the 45 XP, but there seems to be a trick to bypass the security-meachnism and CNC-cut with the hand-torch ?
And does the 1000 G3 also have this security (only machine-torch)- feature ?

Thanks a lot and greetings from germany,
Maik
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45XP vs 1000 g3

Post by adbuch »

I am not familiar with the powermax 1000, although I understand production was discontinued in 2010. It does appear that Hypertherm manufactures retro-fit Duramax torches for the 1000 - which should allow it to use the FineCut consumables. If funds permit I would be inclined to buy a new 45xp.

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/hypert ... 125016502/

I do own both the 45xp and powermax 85 and use both for cnc cutting with hand torch on my Plasmacam DHC2 tables. The mod is to typically open up the machine and cut/splice into the purple trigger wire and connect to the controller so that the torch is fired under software control.

Here are several vides showing my 45xp with FineCut consumables cutting some 16ga. steel tubing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yElHonKv6b0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLyEdExyJg
candle holders 45xp.jpg

Here is the Powermax 85 with FineCut consumables cutting some 11 ga. CR steel. As you can see the hand torch works fine.
David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey7gVjewaa4
F-1 Battery Tray.jpg
East German
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by East German »

Hallo Maik,

die CPC Schnittstelle/Dose an der Rückseit kann mit einer Draht Brücke aktiviert werden die sich sonst im Maschinenbrenner befindet.

Der Unterschied in der Schnittqualität von den alten zu den neuen Hypertherm Geräten ist schon Sichtbar aber es kommt natürlich darauf an was man für Ansprüche hat!
Besser ist aber einen Maschinenbrenner zu kaufen!

MFG Peter
Der vor ein paar Jahren vom Hypertherm 1100 auf HT 85 umgestiegen ist und es nicht bereut hat!
Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Translation to English

Hello Maik,

the CPC interface / socket on the back can be activated with a wire bridge that is otherwise located in the machine torch.

The difference in the cutting quality between the old and the new Hypertherm devices is already visible, but of course it depends on what your requirements are!
But it is better to buy a machine torch!

MFG Peter
Who switched from Hypertherm 1100 to HT 85 a few years ago and has not regretted it!
Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC plasma watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

The 1000 was a great machine back in the day but technology has come a long way and the 1000's older power supply could let you down anytime and parts can cost a LOT of money.

For sure go with the Powermax 45XP. If you can't afford the machine torch right away you can bypass the safety on the hand torch and make it work and upgrade to a machine torch in the future if you wish. A hand torch is always handy to have around :Like
MaikTheBike2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MaikTheBike2 »

Thanks for all of your replies.
Nice to see that there are some people from germany here as well.

@Peter:
Weißt du, wie und wo genau die Drahtbrücke eingesetzt werden muss, um den Handbrenner maschinell einzusetzen ? Gibt es dazu im Internet eine Beschreibung ?
Haben eigentlich alle XP 45 einen CPC-Ausgang auf der Rückseite oder gibt es verschiedene Modelle ohne diesen Ausgang ?

English:
Does anybody know how/where the wire bridge has to be put in to make the machine running with the CPC-Connector ?
Does every XP 45 have an CPC-connector on the back ?

If yes then I could buy a regular XP45 and use it with the hand-torch and attach a machine torch to it later ?
And another question:

What is the maximum thickness of sheet metal that can be pierced on a CNC-table with the XP45 ? The manual says 12mm ? Can somebody confirm that or what are your experiences ?

Thanks,
Maik
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

If you have the CPC connector all the connections you need will be in it.

If you buy the 45 XP with the machine torch I am sure it comes standard with the CPC connector.

If you buy with a hand torch it will not but you can make the connections inside or buy the CPC connector. I don't have a diagram showing where to make the connections without the CPC but its not hard and can help if the time comes. If you buy with the hand torch you can add a machine torch in the future.

No experience with the maximum pierce but if Hypetherm says 12mm I am sure it will do it. Maybe someone else here with experience can reply.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I'm not sure it would come with the voltage divider if you order it without the machine torch.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

MaikTheBike2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MaikTheBike2 »

Thanks for your replies.

If I understand it correctly it would be possible to buy a standard 45xp without cpc and convert it to cpc later. Maybe somebody knows if a voltage divider is built in in those machines that only come with a hand torch ?

Adbuch that looks like a good deal but I'm located in Germany and would have to pay additional taxes for the machine.

Thanks,
Maik
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

MaikTheBike2 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:42 pm Thanks for your replies.

If I understand it correctly it would be possible to buy a standard 45xp without cpc and convert it to cpc later. Maybe somebody knows if a voltage divider is built in in those machines that only come with a hand torch ?

Adbuch that looks like a good deal but I'm located in Germany and would have to pay additional taxes for the machine.

Thanks,
Maik
Yes - you can buy the 45xp without the cpc port - which is the model I purchased several years ago. It came with a hand torch. Hyperthyerm offers a cpc upgrade kit to add the cpc port to an existing 45xp which previously had no cpc port.

If the 45xp was purchased with no cpc port, then no voltage divider will be present inside the machine. In my case, I use the voltage divider supplied with the Plasmacam Torch Control cable to drop the raw arc voltage level to the divided arc voltage level required by the Plasmacam controller.

David

https://bakersgas.com/products/hyperthe ... E3EALw_wcB
cpc upgrade kit.jpg
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

You can buy a mechanized upgrade kit. It's part number 428653 for the 45xp. It includes the cpc port and the voltage divider board.
If you're wanting the machine torch eventually, it would be less expensive to buy the kit with both torches rather than piecing it together later on.
It's handy to have a hand torch that isn't attached to a table when you want to chop skeletons or just use your cutter for other projects.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
Beerbudget5
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Beerbudget5 »

As adbuch stated, if the funds allow it, I would go with the 45xp. I had a 1000 g3 and was in the process of adding a voltage divider to it when it gave out on me. It was a good machine but I am very happy with the 45xp. As far as cut quality, kind of hard to say because I was new to the hobby and I don't have much to compare. Another consideration is size and portability. If you are just going to park it next to your table, then this is not something to worry about. However, If you have any plans of moving it to different locations, the 45xp is hands down a better choice. The 1000 was a heavy machine! Also, I can go to any welding shop and buy consumables if I'm in a pinch. Not so much with the 1000, kind of hit and miss at my local shops, unless you went with the Duramax Retrofit Torch.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Beerbudget5 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:34 pm As adbuch stated, if the funds allow it, I would go with the 45xp. I had a 1000 g3 and was in the process of adding a voltage divider to it when it gave out on me. It was a good machine but I am very happy with the 45xp. As far as cut quality, kind of hard to say because I was new to the hobby and I don't have much to compare. Another consideration is size and portability. If you are just going to park it next to your table, then this is not something to worry about. However, If you have any plans of moving it to different locations, the 45xp is hands down a better choice. The 1000 was a heavy machine! Also, I can go to any welding shop and buy consumables if I'm in a pinch. Not so much with the 1000, kind of hit and miss at my local shops, unless you went with the Duramax Retrofit Torch.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
MaikTheBike2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MaikTheBike2 »

Hi,

the weight of the machine doesn't really matter at the moment. I don't know if it was a smart idea, but I bought the Powermax 1000 (with Torch from ThermalDynamics SL60 attached) for 950€ incl. Shipping.

Today it arrived at my location. Its definitely used, but I hope it will work some time. After a while I might sell it again and upgrade to the 45xp.
I saw that there is no AirFilter connected at the rear of the machine. Maybe somebody knows what the size of the connector on the back is ? (Size of the thread).
And is it enough to attach a ~15€ Air-filter/oil/water-seperator from Amazon or do I need a better product ?

Thanks a lot,
Maik
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Maik,
Depending on the relative humidity of the air where you live, you may (or may not) need anything more that the filter you mentioned. If you will be doing a lot of cutting and you live in a humid climate, then a refrigerated dryer may be in order.
David
MaikTheBike2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MaikTheBike2 »

Thanks David,

at the moment there only is a thread at the back of the machine (you can see the picture attached).
Maybe somebody knows the dimensions of this thread to connect a filter ?

Thanks
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-07 at 23.15.22.jpeg
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Guessing it's either 1/4" NPT or possibly 3/8" NPT. You can Google pipe thread sizes to get the dimensions and measure it with a caliper.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I agree - most likely 1/4" npt (pipe thread).
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”