Torchmate 2x2

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
justinside
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torchmate 2x2

Post by justinside »

I am thinking of buying a cnc plasma table and budget right now is limited, so I am thinking of the Torchmate 2x2, what do you think? Am I wasting my time and should I wait and get something bigger?
I would like to get the Plasmacam system but like I said cost is an issue right now.

Great Forum.

Thanks

Paul
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Torchmate 2x2

Post by AnotherDano »

justinside wrote:I am thinking of buying a cnc plasma table and budget right now is limited, so I am thinking of the Torchmate 2x2, what do you think? Am I wasting my time and should I wait and get something bigger?
I would like to get the Plasmacam system but like I said cost is an issue right now.

Great Forum.

Thanks

Paul

Wait and save those pennies - depending on what you intend to use the table for, of course.
I have a PlasmaCam DHC-2 and have been asked to cut six-footers a couple of times. Then, there are the orders for little items that would easily fit on a 2x2 - but they wanted forty of them.

Give it some careful thought, and good luck.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
justinside
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by justinside »

Thanks for the reply, I also notice that you are using a Hypertherm PM30, does that work well for you? I was going to buy the 45 on Tuesday, but If I can save the pennies that would be great also, they can go towards the CNC.

Thanks again

Paul
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I am just setting up a Torchmate 2 x 4....should have it cutting this week. It has the Torchmate bolt together water table and their AVHC torch height control (necessary for best plasma performance). I also have a PlasmaCam DHC2 4 x 4 machine....which is a great machine as well.

If you are contemplating a machine....don't just think low price. I know sometimes it is hard to justify the extra dollars.....but 2 x 2 pieces of steel cost more....they limit the size of the parts you can produce, and will increase the amount of scrap.

Torch height control adds costs as well. It comes standard on some machines (PlasmaCam) and is optional on others (Torchmate)....height control improves cut quality, improves plasma torch consumable life and makes the cnc machine do what it is designed to do....cut parts without an operator babysitting!

Same line with plasma. The Powermax30 is not designed for mechanized cutting...although many are used that way. It has a max recommended pierce capacity of about 1/4", and has relatively low duty cycle. If I was only going to cut 3/16" or thinner...maybe the 30 would be adequate for machine use.....however the 45 is a Powerhouse comparatively speaking.

A few pics of my Torchmate 2 x 4. If you look carefully in one of the pics you can see the PlasmaCam in the background! That is a Powermax65/85 mini torch....I am setting the 2 x 4 up so I can run a Powermax30, Powermax45 and a Powermax85.....with easy plug in switching between them.

Jim Colt
IMG_2063.jpg
IMG_2064.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Always listen to Jim Colt.

The 30 is under powered for most applications. I use 14ga 99% of the time and it does a good job - but it has it's limitations.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday

Return to “Torchmate Forum”