GoTorch Table PC

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
sscan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

GoTorch Table PC

Post by sscan »

Just ordered a GoTorch table and was wondering if anyone has used a laptop with an express card slot parallel port adapter? Seems a laptop would be a lot easier to use than a bulky desktop. Any suggestions?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: GoTorch Table PC

Post by acourtjester »

I don't think you can put a parallel port in a laptop, unless you have an old one with it already in it. You can use a laptop with a USB or Ether cable but the electronics on the table must be using that for communications. You may be able to use a UC 100 adapter but someone else will need to answer that for sure.
https://cncdrive.com/UC100.html
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sscan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 pm Just ordered a GoTorch table and was wondering if anyone has used a laptop with an express card slot parallel port adapter? Seems a laptop would be a lot easier to use than a bulky desktop. Any suggestions?
This looks like it might work. I would give it a try. If you buy on Amazon and it doesn't work, you can always send it back for refund. I am using desktop computers to run my Plasmacam tables, but the parallel cards I am using are the same brand and work great.
David

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Exp ... B001Q7X0W6
Parallel Port adapter for laptop.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

bubbagsj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bubbagsj »

Here is what I bought and use to run mine. Works great and you don't need to buy an extra seat to design away from the table.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

bubbagsj wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:53 am Here is what I bought and use to run mine. Works great and you don't need to buy an extra seat to design away from the table.
The docking station was mentioned on the Plasmacam Community Owners Forum a while back - and the poster had great success.
David
sscan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sscan »

Thanks gents for your responses. David, I was looking at the same adapter that you indicated from Amazon. As for the docking station mentioned above, I assume that has a real parallel port? I ordered a refurbished T430 Business Lenovo that has an express card slot for $188 and I will try the adapter port from Amazon, failing that I will try the docking port option. Thanks everyone for the suggestions
bubbagsj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bubbagsj »

Yes the docking station has a real parallel port. The prices from above were from a few years ago so they are even cheaper now. You don't need the extra ram to run design edge, but I have always found it best to maximize the ram in any computer I buy. Good luck with the adapter port. Let us know if it works as that opens up more alternative computers.
sscan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sscan »

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I purchased the adapter( Startech 1port ExpressCard Laptop IEEE 1284 Parallel Card) suggested by David (adbunch) with my refurbished Lenovo T430 which has a built in express card slot and it worked fine. The machine was detected right away and initialized without any issues. Now I have to weld a frame unless someone can recommend one that I can buy before trying cutting any material
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sscan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:44 pm Just wanted to give everyone an update. I purchased the adapter( Startech 1port ExpressCard Laptop IEEE 1284 Parallel Card) suggested by David (adbunch) with my refurbished Lenovo T430 which has a built in express card slot and it worked fine. The machine was detected right away and initialized without any issues. Now I have to weld a frame unless someone can recommend one that I can buy before trying cutting any material
Glad to hear the laptop parallel card is working for you.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sscan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:44 pm Now I have to weld a frame unless someone can recommend one that I can buy before trying cutting any material
Do you mean you need to weld a frame (stand) to mount your machine on? I'm not aware of any that are available specifically for the Go Torch, but here is one that looks pretty simple to build. You could very easily incorporate a water tray under the cutting grates.
David
cnctable.jpg

sscan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sscan »

Thanks. This does look simple enough to fabricate. Any recommendation as to how far the water level has to be from the bottom of the material being cut?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

My opinion is that you want the surface of the water far enough below the cutting grates that you do not get water splashing onto your torch. I know there are Youtube videos showing the water level basically at the top of the cutting grates - however Jim Colt, myself, and many others do not think this is a good approach.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a fellow PlasmaSpider member showing a test run of his newly constructed table. I think this distance is about right.
David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ItLX- ... e=emb_logo
water tray distance.jpg
You can see the complete post here.
viewtopic.php?f=103&p=190951#p190951

sscan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sscan »

This is very helpful. Thanks for posting the link. Newbies like me need all the help I can get!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I run mine about an inch below the metal there is a small amount of water, you want to capture as much of the plasma dust to stop it getting all over the place..
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I run mine at the top of the slats, or as close to the material as possible. It doesn't seem to cause any issues other than when referencing with ohmic when the post flow isn't running. I just blow the water off of the area before I start cutting.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”