Grizzly G1066Z Drum Sander for Metal?

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Grizzly G1066Z Drum Sander for Metal?

Post by Nacs Fab »

I am looking into buying some sort of belt fed drum sander to remove dross from 14 Gauge and looking for something with around a 24-36" Bed. Do these cheaper sanders do the job for hobby work? I have a job coming up where I need to sand the back of 75 12"x12" trophies I am making and would love the ease of sending them through a drum sander to do the cleanup work.

I realize, many of you have Timersaver and EZ Sander Brand equipment, I am not looking to spend over 10K, not even close to it actually. What do you guys think would be the issue with using a sander meant for wood and using it for metal? Would I have to change the sanding media to a metal type?
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Grizzly G1066Z Drum Sander for Metal?

Post by cuttinparts »

I used to brush the faces of a LOT of aluminum letters and bought a similar drum sander designed for woodwork and it worked great for surface finishing the aluminum. I ended up trying to use it to remove dross and I just couldn't make it work. It would stall the conveyor belt and bog down the sanding drum if you tried to get aggressive. I just couldn't make it work. I am sold now on the muratic acid/water bath, work awesome, make the parts look pro, and zero effort.
Birdiemc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Grizzly G1066Z Drum Sander for Metal?

Post by Birdiemc »

I've never tried what you're talking about with metsl, but I have an older grizzly drum sander I bought off a guy who was hard up and needed cash, I used it about three times with wood and it never worked very well for me. It bound up too easily...I gave it to my father-in-law probably 6 years ago, and I'm pretty sure he had the same issue and parked it in the corner of his shop and never touched it again. So I'm guessing it couldn't hang with metal if it cant hang with wood. Not hating on grizzly here, I own several grizzly tools and like them just fine, that particular piece just didnt ring the bell for me though. It's only a 18" bed, though so maybe less robust than the one you're looking at.

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”