Plasmacam cable from control unit to the plasma cutter

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Artisticmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasmacam cable from control unit to the plasma cutter

Post by Artisticmetalworks »

Hey all,
I bought my Plasmacam 4x4 table used from a private party. Who bought it from a private party. And the list goes on. The hypertherm plasma that went from party to party with the table was sold on ebay before i bought it. Along with the plasma went the cable that connects from the plasma to the controller on the table. Plasmacam wants me to do a change of ownership form in order to order parts for the unit. Unfortunately i do not have the original owner's information, nor do i have a clue how to get it. To be quite honest i think it's plain stupid you have to do that to PAY THEM MONEY to get parts from THEM. I ordered the cable from Jim Colt that he sells, but it ended up being that my plasma is too old to use his plug and play cable. So what i'm asking is if anyone out there has the original cable for the unit out there they are willing to part with, or anyone that is willing to order one for me from them, i will gladly pay more than what plasmacam is asking along with shipping to get it to me. It is the last thing i need to get this damn thing running, and it's driving me crazy.
Please help a guy out.
Have a good day.
-Derek
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam cable from control unit to the plasma cutter

Post by djreiswig »

I don't have a PlasmaCam, but if you tell us what cutter model you are trying to connect somebody can probably help you with getting a cable to connect it.
Does your cutter have a CPC connector? If so, you should be able to access the needed wiring in that connector.
Kind of hard to know what you need without more details.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Artisticmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

its a hypertherm powermax 1000. Thanks for checking in. I think their connector is kind of proprietary but i don't know for sure. The powermax 1000 has a connector port but i'm not sure it's cpc.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I have the cable/wiring kit you need. This is brand new OEM Plasmacam, still in the original package. I sent you a PM, but I don't know if it went thru. I can also tell you how to connect to your HT 1000. You can email me at desert.hybrids@cox.net for details.
David
Plasmacam Torch Control Cable Kit.jpg
Business Card 1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Derek,
You torch control cable has shipped via USPS Priority Mail - you should have it around the first part of next week. You have indicated that you do have the Plasmacam Design Edge Video Manual installed onto your computer, so you will find instructions for connecting your Hypertherm 1000 to the torch control cable here: Chapter 4 - Install Machine, Set Up Plasma Cutter, Install Torch Control Cable, Specific Plasma Cutter Models, Hypertherm, Hypertherm Powermax1000/1250. Let us know if you have specific questions about the wiring.
David
Hypertherm 1000.jpg
Hypertherm 1000 - 1.jpg

Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

So ... what is the status of this situation? Is the machine working now?

If you do not know the name of the original owner or the last registered owner of the table, ask PlasmaCam if a notarized letter stating that YOU are the current owner of the table bearing Serial # ##### and attest to the fact that you have the table in your physical possession will be sufficient to "register" the table in your name. Maybe a clear photo of YOUR driver's license next to the table's serial number would suffice. Blood and semen samples are too difficult to send through the mail, after all.

When a used table is sold two or three times without PlasmaCam knowing about it (which happens more often than you might suspect), they get persnickety about selling anything to the CURRENT owner, regardless of how you came into possession of it. PlasmaCam seems to believe that THEY STILL OWN all of the tables that were ever sold, and you are ONLY allowed to use your table with their blessing.

I honestly do not believe PlasmaCam put a lot of thought into their licensing policies with regard to USED tables. They must have assumed that the original owners would never sell their PlasmaCam tables, or that they would never be sold in estate sales, "Storage Wars" bounties, and via swap meets, flea markets, eBay, Craigslist, local ads, Facebook Marketplace, pawn shops, used machinery sales, etc. etc.

I know ... the original owner is SUPPOSED TO report the sale to PlasmaCam, and fill out that Transfer of Ownership form, and transfer ownership of the table and the software license to the buyer, and the buyer must tell PlasmaCam they he/she is the new owner. I know that the original owner is SUPPOSED TO completely remove DesignEdge from his PC if that PC was not sold with the table. In a perfect world, this would certainly be a reasonable expectation. We do not live in a perfect world.

PlasmaCam fears perhaps justifiably that the previous owner might keep the DesignEdge software on his own computer(s), and sell the table and ONLY the license(s) to the new table owner (but not the physical PCs DesignEdge is running on), thus netting one or more illegal but fully functional DesignEdge installations on a PC. This was almost certainly the case in 2019 when I advertised my Samson 510 table on eBay, complete with the Full Monty of software upgrades and TEN seats. PlasmaCam probably thought I would sell my table with the DesignEdge license and ten seats, but keep the ten PCs with DesignEdge installed on them, and perhaps sell them off in the dark of the night, out of the trunk of a 70's era show boat for $5,000.00 per PC!

It was only then that the "new rule" surfaced, that forbids additional seats to be transferred with the sale of a used table. Oh, it was "a long standing rule" according to PlasmaCam, even though it was NOT mentioned in any license agreement I ever signed, nor discussed in any way in the Owners Community over the past eight years of my participation in the forums. I believe that rule was pulled from a very dark and smelly place about ten seconds after my eBay ad appeared online.

We tend to think of ourselves as ADULTS who do not need to ask for a manufacturer's permission to use or sell something we purchased. PlasmaCam seems to enjoy their perception of us all being their "children" whom they control, and we must be disciplined when we misbehave.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

New cable was delivered on Saturday. Doubt he has it up and running quite yet.
David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

The table is owned. The software is NOT. The use of the software is a licensed product. They could do a LOT better job taking care of their customers and those that have bought the tables secondhand but there is no confusion that the use of the software is at the mercy of a license agreement and not something that is tangibly owned.
Artisticmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hey all, I finally got it up and running this morning! I am so jacked. Plugged in a few settings from hypertherm and it cut some 14ga with no dross on the back.
Thank you David for the help and everyone else who chimed in.
I don't know why it was so hard to just get parts. Very frustrating because if this thing breaks down in the future i'm in the same boat again. But for now i'm just gonna have fun with it and see how it can be useful to my shop as at tool.
I don't know how to close threads out saying they are taken care of so if someone could chime in I'd be grateful.
Once again, thank you all for your help.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Derek,
Happy to hear you've got it running. Yes - it's nice to have some spare parts around just in case.
David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Glad you got it going! The simple answer is to work with Plasmacam and get the table into your name. Otherwise it's going to be a pain in the ass for anything you ever need. It may not be the easiest thing you've ever done but it will be worth it.
eagle6052

Post by eagle6052 »

Hello all Plasmacam 3.1 users.
The 3.1 software does everything I need however there is has always been a problem which is very frustrating.
I am sure that other users would have experienced this issue.
It's to do with the cable which connects the computer to the table.
The cable keeps picking up interference from different sources?
It keeps coming up with a communications error not all the time but enough to be annoying.
Yes I have tried many different shielded cables at assorted lengths but same issue.

There has to be a solution or a heavy duty shielded cable avaliable.

Or is it something elese causing the problem

Thanks
Darryl
Australia
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Darryl,
I am using parallel cables purchased directly from Plasmacam to run my 3 DHC2 machines. I have never had an issue with communications errors. Another possible source for your problem is the actual parallel card installed into your computer. The recommended parallel card is the Axiom brand, and many users say that switching to the Axiom card has solved their communication error problems. The card I am using in my computers is the StarTech brand, and they have always worked great for me with no communication error problems.
David

https://www.amazon.com/58f8026f-0658-47 ... d_wg=uEPqU
StarTech parallel card.jpg

eagle6052

Post by eagle6052 »

Thanks David

Will try and find these in Australia.

I never thought it should be this hard it should just work every time.

Darryl
Jack of all trades
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jack of all trades »

I fixed mine by hooking a ground wire from controller box to the computer. Later was told it was a noisy power supply, even though I bought the computer from Plasmacam.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

This has been mentioned before. The controller is already grounded thru the pc. The additional ground wire may have no positive effect, and could potentially cause a ground loop, which could possibly make matters worse.
David
eagle6052

Post by eagle6052 »

Great info
eagle6052

Post by eagle6052 »

David I have often thought the communication error was comming from the mains 240 volt power supply.

These machines as you know are made in the US were you only have 110 volts a/c

Were as in Australia its 240 volts A/C

I guess the only way is to fit a power inline voltage filter one for the computer power supply and one for the table controller power supply and even for the aircompressor power supply.

Just thinking out loud
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have no reason to believe that your 230Vac 50 Hz should be causing any noise problems any more than 120Vac 60 Hz in the US. As long as you have the slide switch on your controller set for the higher voltage - I believe you should be fine. A more common noise source can be the plasma cutter high frequency, or other high frequency noise from other shop equipment in the vicinity of your computer. It is also best to try to keep your parallel cable connecting the controller to the computer away from the ac power cord, plasma cutter cables, etc. It is also recommended to keep the ground lead from your plasma cutter to the cutting grate/material as short as possible, and to never leave it coiled up when using it for cutting on your cnc machine. Having it coiled creates the equivalent of a large inductor which can create noise problems in the cable between your plasma cutter and the controller used for automatic height control (if you are using that feature). The best thing to do is make up a shorter ground cable lead just long enough to connect your plasma cutter to the cutting grate/material being cut. You can buy the plug, clamp, and cable required to make this up at your local welding supply store. I bought mine at my local Airgas outlet.
David
eagle6052

Post by eagle6052 »

Thanks Again,

Yes allready have a short ground lead from controller to grate.

Also power cords are no where near parallel cable from computer to controller.

Have also tried different distances for the computer to controller.

This communication area has been a real problem.

Having said all that when it works with no errors it just works great no stopping and completing the complete cut out.

This issue has been a real mystery right from day one which no one to date has been able to solve including plasmacam themselves.

I looked for the two cards you suggested but it does not seem to be avaliable in Australia.

One last thing would you have a copy of the DVD upgrade for the 3.1 original program which was sent out around 2017.

In case you were wondering the 3.1 program does everything I need and I could not afford to purchase the new software.

Again thanks for all your imput.

Darryl
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Darryl,
I am running Design Edge and have no DVDs for 3.11. I would suggest you log onto the Plasmacam Owner's Forum and post your question. Perhaps John Derby or one of the other 3.11 owners can help you out or point you in the right direction.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Darryl,
You can order the parallel card directly from PlasmaCAM. I believe this is the Axiom recommended by PlasmaCAM.

PCIe parallel port
Compatible 5V parallel port for desktop PC that fits in PCI Express card slot. (Does not fit PCI Express Mini or regular PCI card slots.)
Part #: PRP
Price: $198

PlasmaCAM technical support can be reached by phone, fax or email as shown:

Phone: (719) 676-2701
Fax: (719) 676-2711
Or contact us by email: support2020@plasmacam.com

However, technical support for USA and Canada is provided by telephone only.

International customers may use email or fax if telephone support is not practical.

This very well may be your problem. There have been others on the Plasmacam Owners Community forum who have purchased the Axion either from Plasmacam or directly from Axiom (I believe they are located in Canada) and this has eliminated the communication error problems they were having.

David

https://www.pc-canada.com/brand/Axiom.html
eagle6052

Post by eagle6052 »

Once again thanks for all your information I will purchase the axiom card.

Darryl
eagle6052

Post by eagle6052 »

Hello David further investigation has reveled that the card needs to be 5 volts and not 3 volts for the plasmacam controller.

Plasmacam got in touch and their card at $198.00 US is a 5 volt card.

Could not locate the Axiom card anywhere.

Our new computer might have been fitted with a 3 volt card.

Reading more it looks like CNC machines all use a 5 volt card.

Will investigate further.

Darryl
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I'm pretty sure that the parallel card available from Plasmacam is the Axiom brand. Ask them.
David

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”