Which torch for CNC on my Cutmaster 52?

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
NorthernFX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Which torch for CNC on my Cutmaster 52?

Post by NorthernFX »

I have an older Cutmaster 52. One of the blue ones with the Radnor torch. Long story short, I was told it was CNC ready when i bought it. Now that the time has come, I quickly figured out its not. I purchased an Automation kit 9-9385, but now that I have it in hand, i realize that i might actually need the Automation interface 9-8311. I had a short conversation with the company that I'm getting my table from and it wasn't clear which i needed. Probably my fault since I'm new to CNC and wasn't sure exactly what to ask. Any guidance on this issue would be appreciated.

I need to purchase a torch and that's where my real confusion lies. I was thinking I need an SL100, but i see about a dozen different part numbers for them and now after searching the forums i see there is also an SL100SV, SL60, and SL40. My manual that came with my machine lists an MC60 and MC100 but I'm guessing those are the old Radnor torches. My local dealer is trying to be helpful but no one there seems to know anything about the CNC world and they need me to supply a part number for ordering.

If anyone can explain the differences between the torches and recommend a specific model it would be greatly appreciated.
The majority of the work I plan on doing will be cutting in the 1/8" to 1/4" range but I will occasionally work with thicker material up to 1/2" and thinner sheet metal.
Last edited by NorthernFX on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Which torch?

Post by ben de lappe »

Hi NorthernFX, welcome aboard. Some information on the table and electronics would help determine which you need, the kit or interface. Not my forte really, sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in there.

The difference between the machine torches will primarily be thickness of material/more amps etc. I had a Cutmaster 101 with SL-100 machine torch on my TM 3 and cut projects from thin copper and stainless to mild steel .25" up to (extremely rare) 1". To me it was a good torch as I recall no issues.
NorthernFX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by NorthernFX »

Thanks for the response.
That's what I was thinking on the torch. My plasma is only rated for 60 amps. i just wasn't sure if there was a reason to use a 100 over a 60. I also read somewhere about needing the SV torch with the split voltage interface or vice-versa but now I cant find where i read that.

The table I'm ordering is from Wright CNC. It uses the My Plasma CNC controller. Proma I believe?
I'll have to get in touch with them again to clarify.
NorthernFX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by NorthernFX »

Follow up
I talked with Tech Support at Thermal Dynamics and they were very helpful and clearly answered every question I had.
I'm going with the 9-8311 Automation interface kit and the SL100 SV torch.
And I ordered my table today. I'm not excited about the lead time, but I've been waiting 15 years for this. I can deal with few more months.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”