Multimatic or Millermatic?

All topics related to mig welding, tig welding, spot welders, flame cutting, etc.
Motoxrdr
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Multimatic or Millermatic?

Post by Motoxrdr »

Ok So Its time for a new MIG welder I have a miller 250x but shes way outdated and have a Lincoln precision TIG 275. Basically only need a MIG But that Multiprocess Multimatic 220 is catching my eye since my TIG is no where near portable. So I cant decide between the Miller Multimatic 220 or the Millermatic 255. Anyone have any experience with either of these? or any multiprocess machines? It says the multimatic has HF start and lift arc.... A HF start should be just like my Lincoln 275 that i have now right? So when I step on the foot pedal it starts the current when in TIG mode?
ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Multimatic or Millermatic?

Post by ctgolfer1 »

First off.I have to tell you I am.not a professional welder, always did ok, all my life just good enough to get by repairing stuff and build stuff. About a year ago I told my kid I wanted a new mig, he and his buddies are professional welders so I told them to go to the welding shop and get me a new mig and meet me at my shop to set it up.
When those three kids showed up with that 220 I was like " what the hell am I going to do with that thing"?
I never touched a tig welder in my life, "your gonna learn tig" is all I got back.
They taught me how to tig...somewhat, still learning but what a damn mig welder, everything you weld is so smooth and clean. I use my buddies new 221 mig often at his race shop where I help out and my 220 is so much nicer to weld with, not comparable BUT I have very clean power at my shop including 3 phase so that may be some of the difference.
Then I got the bill, I almost fell over but it was worth every penny. I never knew welding could be so clean, every time you switch steel thickness just push the button to what your welding and it runs a gorgeous bed from the start. I welded some stainless yesterday and some galvanized stock today and it all looks great.
As far as the tig side ...
one of the kids helping my kid set it up sold his newer tig machine after using the 220 and bought his own within a week of trying the 220 out, it is that good. I have not yet done any arc welding with it yet but I have a project coming up that I am anxious to use it on.
Bottom line is my opinion does not mean much but the 3 professional welders that set it up absolutely love it.
Very glad I bought it.
Motoxrdr
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Motoxrdr »

ctgolfer1 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:05 pm First off.I have to tell you I am.not a professional welder, always did ok, all my life just good enough to get by repairing stuff and build stuff. About a year ago I told my kid I wanted a new mig, he and his buddies are professional welders so I told them to go to the welding shop and get me a new mig and meet me at my shop to set it up.
When those three kids showed up with that 220 I was like " what the hell am I going to do with that thing"?
I never touched a tig welder in my life, "your gonna learn tig" is all I got back.
They taught me how to tig...somewhat, still learning but what a damn mig welder, everything you weld is so smooth and clean. I use my buddies new 221 mig often at his race shop where I help out and my 220 is so much nicer to weld with, not comparable BUT I have very clean power at my shop including 3 phase so that may be some of the difference.
Then I got the bill, I almost fell over but it was worth every penny. I never knew welding could be so clean, every time you switch steel thickness just push the button to what your welding and it runs a gorgeous bed from the start. I welded some stainless yesterday and some galvanized stock today and it all looks great.
As far as the tig side ...
one of the kids helping my kid set it up sold his newer tig machine after using the 220 and bought his own within a week of trying the 220 out, it is that good. I have not yet done any arc welding with it yet but I have a project coming up that I am anxious to use it on.
Bottom line is my opinion does not mean much but the 3 professional welders that set it up absolutely love it.
Very glad I bought it.

AWESOME! Exactly what i was hoping too hear. When you tig weld with it does the arc just start with the foot pedal? Also i hear the actual MIG gun is funky on it... any complaints on that?
ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ctgolfer1 »

Ya, the arc starts and keeps going, it automatically changes something, something to make the something do something and run smoother.
Ya, I did bring the first gun back, trigger was sticking but it is nice to use when you get used to it, different then any others I have used. Kinda cheesy when you start using it then you get used to the lighter weight and ergonomics of it and it sucks to go back to the old ones.
Motoxrdr
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Motoxrdr »

Went and tried one out at vern lewis and loved it. Burnt so crisp on MIG i could't believe it compared too my dinosaur. So basically Im going to go pick one up tomorrow. Thanks for your input.
ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ctgolfer1 »

Your going to love it bro,
Enjoy!
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke »

Wish I would have seen this on time.
Great choice, I chose the multimatic because the way the specs are in the manuals you can run it on more choices of power... I work in a few plants and thought it might be handy.
These machines are incredible, the mig welding is out of this world smooth..
Pulse mig is nuts...
Amazing machines...
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
c_rossman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by c_rossman »

I agree with pulse mig, once you try it you wont got back to short-arc welding. So smooth and easy to manage. I just bought a Lincoln 360mp and its amazing. Also a big deal to have an inductance setting for setting the pinch.

Return to “Mig Welders, Tig Welders, Spot Welders”