Software for Mac\Cross platform

General software related questions should be posted here.
RCA Dog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Software for Mac\Cross platform

Post by RCA Dog »

Hi everybody
Wondering which drafting\design\art software people are using that are running a Mac. I own a machine shop and run PC's at work, and Mac at home. I do all my drafting and design with a program called Shark FX, and export the DXF into Pronest for plasma cutting. Just started plasma cutting, and I'm not super familiar with the 'artsy' side of things, as I do mostly heavy industrial things that are pretty geometric as a rule.
My wife has taken an interest in the capabilities of the plasma for some metal art projects, and I'm wondering what software people recommend for that sort of thing. We have looked at Inkscape, but it doesn't appear to be very stable on the Mac. Also thinking about Corel, and possibly Photoshop. I don't mind paying money for a stable, capable piece of software, as we are thinking she might be able to sell some pieces down the road. The ability to trace a photo would be nice, as well as freeform and geometric drawing\drafting, and obviously DXF output, although it could output just about anything and I would be able to handle it with my CAD program at work. I get along pretty well with my CAD program, but neither one of us are familiar with these 'arty' kinds of programs, so not too complicated would be a bonus.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Software for Mac\Cross platform

Post by plasmanewbie »

I'm a Corel Draw guy on PC and really like it, have used it for over 20 years. Does have auto tracing capability but like most it's really only useful on good black and white images, anything other than that and your best just to draw from scratch in my opinion. Works really well for both artistic and mechanical design but is not as powerful on mechanical design as say Fusion 360 but everything can be done.
TTS
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Software for Mac\Cross platform

Post by TTS »

I use a mac for all of my drawings. I use a mixture of Illustrator/Photoshop and Autocad. It just really depends on what I am making. I know people talk about all the free programs but all the paid programs save me hours upon hours of time which is money. They are powerful programs that once you learn all the tools applicable to what you are doing will make your life a lot easier imo and provide excellent quality and detailed drawings.

Return to “General Discussion”