Torchmate 3 problems

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Fabkid33
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Torchmate 3 problems

Post by Fabkid33 »

I'm Colt I have a metal fabrication and welding shop in Phoenix az I purchased a used torchamte 3 5x15 table and I'm having some issues when I go to cut and shape out the torch is not following the g code and jumps around all sparatic I am runing my plasma torch lines with all the other lines that run the motor signals think I'm getting interference it also has the avhc blue screen and I'm having some issues with that too when I'm in manual mode it doesn't drop the torch to cut I have to manually jog it everytime and when enable the cut the torch is on and when the part gets done cutting it doesn't shut off the torch . Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks from Colt
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Torchmate 3 problems

Post by cuttinparts »

Ah man that sucks, I don't have Torchmate experience but know that taking it 1 problem at a time is very important.

Get your motion issues figured out first. I have always run my plasma torch lead with my motor leads with no issue.

Does it only jump around all sparatic when the plasma cutter is on?

What plasma cutter are you using? Maybe it has a high freq start system.
Fabkid33
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fabkid33 »

Im using a thermal Dynamics cutmaster 52
I didn't try it without the torch off yet I will tommorrow
I cut a metal sign out for my shop without issue then I got a windows update I'm running windows 10 and I started having these issues also my z carriage was dirty got it all clean up and lubed but think it's still binding torch doesn't always touch off like it should before cutting
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

Fabkid33 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:36 am Im using a thermal Dynamics cutmaster 52
I didn't try it without the torch off yet I will tommorrow
I cut a metal sign out for my shop without issue then I got a windows update I'm running windows 10 and I started having these issues also my z carriage was dirty got it all clean up and lubed but think it's still binding torch doesn't always touch off like it should before cutting
That Cutmaster 52 shouldn't be the cause of any interference but for sure try with the plasma off. Sounds like you've nailed it down to a Windows update. You should be able to revert your PC back to before the Windows update and then just don't connect it to the internet again. Best of luck!
Fabkid33
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fabkid33 »

Spend about 3 hours with torchmate tech support and looks like my motors are bad 900.00 to upgrade my motors with the adapters for gear rack and new motor cables with adapters my motor cables have been modified and they recommend new motor cables . I got a quote for the accumove controller and new z axis and new cad and new motors with drive cables it was 6800.00 what do you guys think I should do or should I just upgrade to another company like c and c
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

What if you could get a lower price and free shipping on the CandCNC kit?
Andrewbcdueck
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrewbcdueck »

I'm just in the process of getting my TM3 going and I've been having conversations with a automation engineer he says it IS VITALLY IMPORTANT TO GROUND YOUR TABLE to eliminate EMI( electro magnetic interference. Put a ground right through your concrete within 2 feet of the table and put a solid 6ga wire to the table for starters. I'll put a link to his youtube channel. You should try his steppers if you think thats the problem. He sells 600 oz in motors for 60-80 dollars not sure what new cables would cost but give him a try. https://youtu.be/UpJ4txXh3WM
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

What I'm struggling to understand is that it was working and then all of a sudden you need to replace all the motors? I think there is another issue to solve. Grounding would be a good starts but I have a TD A120 and it agree the machine should not be the issue.
Andrewbcdueck
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrewbcdueck »

Well when I did talk to the support at torchmate they asked what I was going to run my table with my design laptop with Windows 10 or my Laptop with XP and they said it would be better to use XP. So software issue could be the culprit here
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Andrewbcdueck wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:48 pm I'm just in the process of getting my TM3 going and I've been having conversations with a automation engineer he says it IS VITALLY IMPORTANT TO GROUND YOUR TABLE to eliminate EMI( electro magnetic interference. Put a ground right through your concrete within 2 feet of the table and put a solid 6ga wire to the table for starters. I'll put a link to his youtube channel. You should try his steppers if you think thats the problem. He sells 600 oz in motors for 60-80 dollars not sure what new cables would cost but give him a try. https://youtu.be/UpJ4txXh3WM
I agree with all of that except the solid wire part. Stranded wire has lots more surface area for the same gauge and works better with noise . The biggest transmitter of noise is the torch cables. Never coil them up nice an neat or put them in a bunch under your controller or the plasma cutter. A set of chap auto jumper cables gives you the gauge and stranded you need
Fabkid33
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fabkid33 »

My y motor is going bad and making noise and one motor on my x is pulsing torchmate said it's probably on its way out too this all happens with my plasma off
ang1rod
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ang1rod »

I also have a TM3! My problem is the plasma relay black box. I don't hear clicking when I run the file, I don't have a height control its the one you turn to adjust. I press the trigger no the plasma torch and it turns on. I also put a jump wire on the output connections and it ignites. I also put it on Aux plasma on, but that doesn't ignite the plasma cutter. Any advise out there would be appreciated.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Not familiar with TM but have you had this working in the past and this is a new problem?
ang1rod
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ang1rod »

Yes, it’s been working and all of a sudden it won’t ignite. I’m thinking of purchasing a Flashcut universal relay box. And hopefully that might solve my problem.
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

ang1rod wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:33 am Yes, it’s been working and all of a sudden it won’t ignite. I’m thinking of purchasing a Flashcut universal relay box. And hopefully that might solve my problem.
I'm familiar with TM 3 as I had the finished machine, purchased '08. But mine had the blue screen AVHC, model 401a signal generator and little black box for the plasma relay. Surely you can find this online somewhere? If not let me know as I have a couple of connections with TONS more TM parts knowledge than I and will be glad to check. I have no experience with Flashcut.
ang1rod
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ang1rod »

Hello Ben! 1st thank you for your reply. I've searched all over for this black box and cant find it. Not even TM sells it anymore.
I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Hello and not a problem. I understand TM no longer sells/services the older equip, just got to be one out there somewhere way I see it. I've reached out to one individual so lets see what we get.
ang1rod
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ang1rod »

Great! Thank you.
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Unfortunately no news on replacement. Appears grim as you're aware. But he did jog my memory. Is there not a glass fuse located in the relay unit? Like where the power cord enters look for a little button cap...something that unscrews? Surely things couldn't be that simple... :HaHa Alternatively there is a Torchmate owners group on FB that may be able to help. Link here-https://www.facebook.com/groups/1280425 ... p_activity
Worth a shot.
ang1rod
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ang1rod »

Lol! Thanks. I’ll give the group a shot!

Return to “Torchmate Forum”