Another Easyscriber?

All topics related specifically to the EasyScriber drag style scribe & engraving tool.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Another Easyscriber?

Post by OTHill »

Ive ordered an Easyscriber and have a few questions.I have an order for around 500 stainless plaques with name and legal land description for a historical society.I'm wondering how small I can expect to go with lettering.Can I go down to 1/2 in. tall? My table is quite tight .I can routinely cut 1 in. holes within 10 thou. precision or thereabouts. What kind of font would you recommend? what kind of feed speed? Ant suggestions as to what grade of stainless? I'm brand new at this. Any help is appreciated. Here is a sample of what I have in Mind.
Savanna 1.dxf
(188.49 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Another Easyscriber?

Post by Ironken »

I'm waiting on mine too. I saw a vid on PlasmaSpider Youtube that showed them cutting .250 tall letters. I am told that 100-200ipm works with a .250 cut height. I am wanting to make some tags for serial numbers and am using 304 Stainless. I will let you know as soon as my scribe comes in how its working for me.
EasyScriber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by EasyScriber »

Should work very well guys. Here is an example of .250" tall number on a stainless steel plate. This was done on a hobby level cnc table lacking in rigidity so there is a little "wiggle" on direction changes but this is barely noticeable to the naked eye in person. You can go even smaller, it really has more to do with the accuracy and rigidity of your table.

SS-NumberPlate.PNG
SS-NumberPlate.PNG (466.77 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Still patiently waiting. Excited to get it! Got a sheet of 304 waiting to get all scribbled on.

Post by Guest »

Yeah same here. Have a little mirror stainless t try it on.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Got it today! I'll report back when I get a chance to scribble.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Would it help make lines more visible if you went over it 2 or 3 times in the same place ? run the code and run it again before removing the sheet
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

I would imagine so but, Im nesting a half sheet of tags.....that would take forever to run a sheet.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Received my Easyscriber today and am wondering how to set up sheetcam? Im using candcnc rev 11m7 postprocessor
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

I am using a JD2 table and things work a bit differently than CandCnc. I simply pick a normal plasma tool and 0 pierce delay, pierce height same as cut height (.250-.300), 115ipm, no lead in, no lead out and no overcut if I remember correctly......I am away from my puter right now.

Pictured is a bit wavy gravy, as I was running my feed too fast.
Attachments
20190307_173005.jpg
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

So are you using sheetcam and do you just leave your plasma turned off?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

here is what I used post processor Mach 3.scpost and made a tool called pen tool, see attached image.
I position the torch at a start point move the scribe tip down to about 0.01" below the surface and then zero out all DROs. Move the tip up about 0.500" and hit start, this preloads the tip enough for the scribe to mark the surface.
No pierce or torch on commands used this way :lol:
Attachments
DSCN3362.JPG
scribe.JPG
scribe.JPG (38.77 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Ok so what if you want to scribe the lettering but than plasma cut the perimeter?
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

OTHill wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:28 pm Ok so what if you want to scribe the lettering but than plasma cut the perimeter?
I did just that. Yes, done in Sheetcam with the plasma powersource off. I nest a bunch of these parts with scribing and plasma profiles in Sheetcam. Scribing work is in one layer and plasma work in another. I do ALL of the scribing by turning off the plasma profiles and tools and running the post generating my g-code ONLY for the scribing nest and save that job to my desk top. Next, I turn off the scribing layer and turn on the plasma layer and run the post and save the job to my desk top. I secure the material (smaller sheets will move) and run the scribing job after installing the scribe. Once that is done, I re install the plasma consumables and run the plasma program. Just a word of advise, any surface prep (I scuff with purple scotch brite) needs to be done before you start....this process is not very deep and you don't wanna polish off your hard work.

Hope that makes sense. I will watch this thread if I can offer any help.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Im thinking there must be a way to do the scribing, than have it stop to change to plasma consumables than finish with plasma instead of having to reload file. Maybe I'm not understanding
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

You can't run a set of parts each with a scribe operation, and the same set of parts each with a cut operation in the same gcode. The post processors aren't set up that way. If you have 2 operations on a part, SheetCam will do them sequentially. It works if you are using 2 different tools, but with the scribe inside the actual torch, you would have to switch it out between each part.
So Ironken is basically making a gcode with all of the scribing and another gcode with all of the cutting. Then running them sequentially switching from scribe to torch in between. You could probably edit the code files and combine them manually with a pause in between.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Question for ironken You say prepping with Scotch brite. Just wondering what that does? What kind of finish does your stainless come in? Drieswig I was thinking of putting a pause in my gcode but no idea how or how much advantage there would be. Just being lazy or inquisitive I guess.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

In Mach3 an M0 will give you a pause.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

OTHill wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am Question for ironken You say prepping with Scotch brite. Just wondering what that does? What kind of finish does your stainless come in? Drieswig I was thinking of putting a pause in my gcode but no idea how or how much advantage there would be. Just being lazy or inquisitive I guess.
The 304 I get is not protected with plastic.....more cost effective. It is a bit dull and a few strokes with Scotchbrite does the trick. On my system it is super easy to simply import the new job and do the cutting operation seperately.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Ive been trying my scriber today with some difficulty. Here is a snip of my gcode which isn't working like it should.My scriber moves to the G92 line than stops and I set next line to M7 and it does what its supposed to.Can somebody check it for me please? Maybe its the G38.2 where it stops im not quite sure now.
Annotation 2019-03-16 204654.png
Annotation 2019-03-16 204654.png (31.54 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Ok got going now just using Mach3 post. I need some ideas to make the letters stand out more. light needs to be just right in order to read it properly. Any way to high light? Different material? Paint first than scribe? There are going to be 4-500 2" x6" plaques on maybe a 4' x8' area so it needs to be much more visible.
20190318_115617.jpg
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Sorry I couldn't help with the gcode. Looks like you got it though! What you have there is the best that I can get too. For me, it could be a little heavier but, it is acceptable. Maybe you could paint first, then scribe.
EasyScriber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by EasyScriber »

OTHill wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:19 pm Ok got going now just using Mach3 post. I need some ideas to make the letters stand out more. light needs to be just right in order to read it properly. Any way to high light? Different material? Paint first than scribe? There are going to be 4-500 2" x6" plaques on maybe a 4' x8' area so it needs to be much more visible.20190318_115617.jpg
Looks great guys! There are numerous things you can do to enhance the appearance of your scribe projects. A popular technique for some applications is to use a series of parallel lines to create your design. The closer your lines are together the more defined and brilliant the result. This HD logo was scribed in aluminum at only 2.5" tall. This technique is easy to accomplish in Corel DRAW and looks amazing.
HD-LOGO2.png
Painted surfaces also produces great results also. This is painted aluminum using the same parallel line technique but with wider spacing.
Number1.jpg
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

If you use a rotary operation in SheetCam you can fill letters.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
MrsSavage
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MrsSavage »

I have a TACTICAL CNC and they will not help me figure out how to use the Easyscribe as "they do not support it". I believe the program is the same as Easy Cut (?). It will not lift after each letter or between each scribe. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Return to “EasyScriber Drag Style Scriber for Hypertherm”