Hypertherm "Deflector" for Fine Cut

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Hypertherm "Deflector" for Fine Cut

Post by Metriccar »

I was at the store and saw this "220955 Deflector". When would I use this instead of the 220948 shield?

IMG_1481.jpg
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm "Deflector" for Fine Cut

Post by djreiswig »

The deflector is used for cutting unshielded. I'm not familiar with unshielded cutting, but I'm sure you can Google more information about it. Either that or Jim Colt will probably be along shortly to explain.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

I don't think your ohmic (if you have it) probe will work with the unshielded or "deflector".
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

I actually comes in handy when you need to get in tight places or cutting bevels.
I was cutting some corrigated steel and I needed that deflector because a normal shield would drag on the slops.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

rwskinner wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm I actually comes in handy when you need to get in tight places or cutting bevels.
I was cutting some corrigated steel and I needed that deflector because a normal shield would drag on the slops.
That makes good sense. I guess a person could disable ohmic probing and just let the torch touch off in that case.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I strongly recommend the shield for all uses with Finecut...hand held cutting, machine cutting, etc. The shield provides longer nozzle life by providing isolation (from the material and from blowback metal) and allows the ohmic contact to work if your machine is equipped. I see no need whatsoever for the deflector! The deflector was designed to protect the threads on the retaining cap for those users that (for some reason) do not want to use the shield. Jim Colt
probuilder72
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by probuilder72 »

What is the actual difference between the Ohmic Retaining cap and the 220854 other than the ohmic tab on the outside? Are all the internal parts the same?
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

As Jim mentioned, the open deflector was designed specifically for doing what I was doing, such as angles and tight spaces and he is right that it's great for special situations but not everyday use, at least not if you want longevity from your consumables.

>> I see no need whatsoever for the deflector! The deflector was designed to protect the threads on the retaining cap for those users that (for some reason) do not want to use the shield. Jim Colt
Last edited by rwskinner on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

probuilder72 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:27 am What is the actual difference between the Ohmic Retaining cap and the 220854 other than the ohmic tab on the outside? Are all the internal parts the same?
Same thing, just has the Ohmic tab crimped on with a spade connector.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”