Crackling sound made by Powermax45 machine torch

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Crackling sound made by Powermax45 machine torch

Post by enzed »

I have noticed that when cutting with a T45m machine torch, it sometimes makes a crackling sound which can be heard over the hissing sound of the air flow. It is not very loud, but it is audible, and one can hear it if you listen carefully. Is this an indication of something faulty, or an early warning of something going wrong, or nothing to worry about? I cut thin mild steel, from 1 to 3 mm thick (about 19 to 11 gauge).

enzed
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Crackling sound made by Powermax45 machine torch

Post by jimcolt »

The crackling sound with the 45 comes from the Power Supply, and is an audible noise that comes from the inverter power supply. Many can hear this noise, many cannot (I have never heard it...even when standing next to people than can hear it). It is 100% normal with a Powermax45, and has to do with the inverter switching frequency. Jim Colt
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Hi Jim,
Interesting that it comes from the Power Supply. To me, it sounds like it is coming from the torch! Anyway, I'm relieved that it is normal and not an indication of a problem!
Thanks very much and best wishes,
enzed
john78
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by john78 »

Make sure you don't have moisture or oil in the lines. The inverter noise is hard to hear when the machine is at idle. Not sure if your going to hear it when the air is flowing.
4x4 Plasma Table
Mach3 with CSMIO/IP-S
CandCNC Feather Touch & LCTHC
Hypertherm PMX 1000
Homemade Rotary Plasma Attachment
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Thank you john78,
The thought of water or oil in the line also crossed my mind. But I do have water and oil filters, which I check daily.
enzed

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”