Torchmate 2 Gantry problem

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
inspectweld
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Torchmate 2 Gantry problem

Post by inspectweld »

I think the torch assembly slide pad or whatever it`s called needs to be replaced and I can`t find the part from torchmate.
The slide pad couples to the aluminum gantry guide bar that has bolts that are centered about 3.5 inches apart and it seems to be snagging at these bolt holes and leaves a notch about 1/32" deep and wide about 3.5 inches apart on my cuts on the Y axis. I partially took it apart and saw that it has rollers in there and the pad is made of plastic or some sort of fiber material. I didn`t want to get too aggressive with taking it apart so I just blew it out with an air hose to clean it and re-attached it so I could continue to use the table pending fixing or replacing the parts. I sure would appreciate if someone could help with solving this problem if you know how and or know where I can get parts for it. Thanks in advance!
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate 2 Gantry problem

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Here's the link to the manuals, you need to call Torchmate and get the password to view them (I don't remember having to use a P-word in the past)

https://torchmate.com/support/torchmate-123
inspectweld
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by inspectweld »

Thanks but I have that manual already but the password changed. Anybody that knows that TM 2 machine knows exactly what I described. I will post a pic tomorrow if I need to.
inspectweld
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by inspectweld »

Here is a pic of it with an arrow pointing to the part.
Attachments
gantry 2.png
gantry.png
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Ok, I haven't done this but was told to by TM support a number of years ago for another problem with the car sticking.

Remove the Z axis lifter from the car. Under it you will find a number of socket head cap screws. Remove the screws and it should come apart. I would place a board or a pan under it to catch any escape parts.

The whole rail and car assembly was a part made by an overseas outfit, maybe they where called "Big Chief...". I figure that I will just replace the whole assembly with a US made or sourced one the next time it fails.

John
inspectweld
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by inspectweld »

You think maybe someone knows where to get the part I need. I just googled big cheif and can not find anything on that. If I cannot find the part I am going to carefully grind a groove on that part that slides past the bolt holes a little wider than the bolt holes so that no material will touch the bolt holes and will glide on the aluminum rail above and below the bolt holes. It just seems common sense tells me if there is no material touching the bolt holes then it will not snag there.
IHscouts
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by IHscouts »

Inspectweld. Look up Hywin linear rail. Or THK linear rail. They will have what you need. I agree with islander261, i would replace the linear rail and truck at the same time. There may be a part number on the truck where the torch is mounted to it. Naturally having a part number will make it easier to replace. But if you cant find one, you should be able to measure the the rail height and width and find what you need.

I've seen torchmate tables that have had this item replaced on them. They bought the whole assembly from another supplier than torchmate. Here is a link to Hywin.

https://www.hiwin.com/linear-guideways.html
inspectweld
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by inspectweld »

Thank you IHscouts I may have to go that route. There is a number 05/05 stamped on what the manual calls the casette or what I think you are calling the truck. I did grind about a 1/32 depth a little wider than the bolt holes and eliminated any surface contact with bolt holes. Doing this did not change anything, still the same problem. The only other thing it can be is the cable carrier links that also have links about 3.5 inches apart and they could be sticking and pulling. I already tried thoroughly cleaning the cable carrier and working back and forth the joints but no help. The mostly aluminum torch carriage is very light. I`m think now I will also try and add a little weight to the carriage by placing my OA strait barrel torch or a pipe in the u bolt bracket I have rigged up for OA torch cutting. The extra weight may help stabilize the carriage. I have the direct drive sprockets and gear boxes so I should have enough power to drive the extra weight. I may have time tomorrow to try it. Thanks again
IHscouts
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by IHscouts »

Have you taken the drive belt off of you Y motor and moved the torch by hand to see if you can feel the binding? This may help in finding the issue.
inspectweld
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by inspectweld »

Yes I have disengaged the sprocket and there no play at all there and it is smooth. I didn`t have time today to try anything else, we are working on some other things that don`t involve the burn table. I`m using it tomorrow though and I am going to try and weight the carriage a little to see if it helps.
inspectweld
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by inspectweld »

I shook that cable carrier pretty hard and put my OA torch on for a little more weight and the 6" long cuts were smooth in the Y direction. I didn`t have time to try anything longer. The part was 10`-6" x 6" with 24 11/16" holes on 3/4" plate. It all cut better it seems.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”