Shielded Consumables IPT-60 Torch?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
ForceDesigns
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Shielded Consumables IPT-60 Torch?

Post by ForceDesigns »

So I have been reading a lot about shielded consumables and it seems that those are the way to go. I am not running a Hypertherm. I have no doubt they are the best option, but I wanted to get my feet wet with something a bit less expensive. So I have a Razorcut 45. With an IPT-60 machine torch wired in, which works amazingly. Way better than my hand torch setup. Got some shielded consumables, but they are deeper into the cup(?) than I expected. Are the cut settings just that much closer to the plate? It almost looks like a drag tip.

I have attached a picture for reference.

Still pretty new to all of this. It's been great and I'm having a blast. Made the plasma to make some signs and support my automation design side work.

Home Built 4x4 CNC Plasma Table
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
MiniTHC
Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
Software: Mach3 and Sheetcam, Solidworks 2019 for serious design work and Inkscape for signs
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Shielded Consumables IPT-60 Torch?

Post by Ironken »

That's a drag shield. I would imagine that would really throw off your torch height.
ForceDesigns
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ForceDesigns »

Thats what I was afraid of. I don't know what the shielded CNC consumables look like. Guess I'll have to try again.
Home Built 4x4 CNC Plasma Table
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
MiniTHC
Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
Software: Mach3 and Sheetcam, Solidworks 2019 for serious design work and Inkscape for signs
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

I don't see where they sell what Hypertherm refers to as "shielded" other than a drag shield. A quick googler search turns up this guy that deals in these torches......maybe he can give some better guidance.

https://www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

In the pic, the top pic is a hand held consumable stack with a drag shield.

In the bottom pic, the cone shaped "shield" is ......the shield. Beneath that cone shaped shield in the picture is a deflector for non shielded cutting. In essence, the shield covers the nozzle and in some magical way directs airflow around the nozzle. The unshielded deflector leaves the nozzle exposed.
Attachments
1540682576220734.jpg
1540682576220734.jpg (9.17 KiB) Viewed 750 times

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”