Think we could get some "Bridge cutting" software for SheetCAM?

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Think we could get some "Bridge cutting" software for SheetCAM?

Post by Econdron »

Saw an article in The Fabricator magazine about advanced CAM controls, including bridge cutting software. Actually sounded like a great idea and something that would go real well with the parts I cut. Any chance we could incorporate some kind of bridging option in SheetCAM? Something like you just click a lead out and a lead in and it draws a straight line between the two making it one cut. I cut a lot of small parts, same part right next to each other, like a 4" x 4" square plate for example and dozens at a time. It would save a ton of time and consumable life to be able to bridge all the parts to make it just one super long cut. Obviously still do DTHC off before the end of cut, and probably through the bridge, then turn on when it normally would if it started a new part. Just a thought...
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Think we could get some "Bridge cutting" software for SheetCAM?

Post by Ironken »

Just spitballin' here....could you draw the continuous parts in CAD to the approximate sheet size that you cut? Then take it into SheetCam as one big part?

My only concern would be the duty cycle of the plasma power source.
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Econdron »

You don't have to bridge all the parts together. You could do it batches of 5 or 6 with a continuous cut if you're worried about the Duty Cycle. I keep the separate files saved on my CAM computer, CAD computer is on the other side of the building. I like to configure the cut in SheetCAM based on the size of the good sheet still available and the quantity I need. So it would be nice to just bridge a few of the cuts together.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

SheetCam can do that. Look for the 'Max chain length' setting in your plasma cutting operation. If the distance between cuts is less than this distance it will cut across instead of stopping and piercing. This only works if there is a direct line of sight between the two points. If something is in the way it will stop and pierce.
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Econdron »

Thank you Les, I will look for that setting and give it a shot!
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

I just tried that on some simple 1x2 squares. I set my Max Chain Length to .250" and arrayed 5 columns and 5 rows with .200" part spacing with a perpendicular lead in. I could not get it to work.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I've only tried it once or twice so no expert, rather than duplicating a part I made a copy of it, that got the chain cutting working for me, works well.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Econdron »

Worked great. Worked for duplicating the parts or copying the parts. Obviously when you duplicate the part, you have to rotate it so the lead in is within the chain range of the lead out of the initial part. Copying the parts gives you the freedom to specify where you want the lead in on each individual piece.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

In order to chain parts is a leadout necessary? If so, can you move the leadout? I'm a Sheetcam noob!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I don't think you need a lead out. As long as the end point of the part is within the set distance of the start point of the next part, it should chain.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

djreiswig wrote:I don't think you need a lead out. As long as the end point of the part is within the set distance of the start point of the next part, it should chain.

Thank you. I must be oxygen deprived, 'cause I can't make the chaining happen. I'll keep playing around with it.

Edit: I figured it out. Kinda difficult to chain a slew of parts in a 4x4 sheet that is completely full but, this may be useful on other small parts.

Return to “SheetCam”