Hypertherm PM 65 Plasma arc issues and stops during cut

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
shejta
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm PM 65 Plasma arc issues and stops during cut

Post by shejta »

Dear,
I am running out of options. So I decided to ask help fromyou, dear experts.
I have plasma cutter with PM 65 source and I start to gettingissues during start of cutting when plasma is unable to make arc. You can see how it looks like in videobelow. Also thereis issues of stoping of arc on longer cuts. Air is clean and consumables are new. Power is also ok. Amperage do not make any difference.
I need your help and advice.
Best regards.
Samir

https://youtu.be/yH3CNWPBFJg
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm PM 65 Plasma arc issues and stops during cut

Post by plasmanewbie »

Do you see any error codes on the LCD screen?
Using genuine Hypertherm consumables?
Does the electrode slide freely inside the swirl ring?
Is your ground clamp connected both at the material and the plasma cutter?
shejta
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shejta »

There is no error codes on screen. Also, consumables are 100% genuine, electrode is fitted properly and clamp is hooked on machine bed. We put new pneumatic valve and pressure sensor but it not solve the problem. Also, when arc misfire there is some ticking noise in pneumatic valve and LED diods blinking. Is there any other ideas. Thank you for helping me.
Best regards.
Samir
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

electrode is fitted properly and clamp is hooked on machine bed, I think this is your problem you need to connect the work lead directly to the metal you are cutting.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

From watching your video, your torch is too high above the metal to establish an arc or do any cutting, but maybe the video is just for demonstration purposes. It acts like someone is rapidly switching the cutter on and off, so maybe that is the place to start looking. You could short the arc start leads right at the CPC connector on the back of the Plasma Cutter and see if the arc will stay on. This will tell you if the problem is with the plasma cutter or back toward your control equipment.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
shejta
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shejta »

This is for demonstrating purposes. If I put file with for example couple holes and start cutting at piercing hight of couple mm ( machine is equipped with probing sensor to ensure piercing hight ) machine make couple holes correctly and after that misfire one hole. Sometimes plasma misfire couple holes in row. Also, when I made long cut quite often plasma shutdown arc in the middle of the cut. Air still going through torch but there is no flame. Also there is no and error or warning light. From my experience it looks that pilot arc is weak. There is no specific "boom" sound on ignition. Is it possible to be some problems with electric circuits inside. Thank you
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

The air continuing after the arc stops is normal. This is to cool the consumables after arc shutdown.

There are many things that can affect the arc. As acourtJuster points out, a poor connection between the clamp and the material can affect it. Oil or Moisture in the air can affect it. Low air pressure can affect it. Worn or sticking consumables is another cause.

If you have a hand torch, perhaps you could do some manual cutting with it to narrow the problem down to either the plasma cutter or control equipment.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
shejta
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shejta »

I tried with hand torch and results are mostly equal. I will try to clean clamp contact and test again. Also I will try to increase air pressure. Is there any other advice. Thank you all for the help.
Samir
shejta
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shejta »

It turns out that problems comes from moisture in the air. We tried with air dryer and everything works flawlessly. Thank you all.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for posting the solution many don't
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
shanemiller
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shanemiller »

We are also having issues with our powermax 65. Used to cut great but now tip only lasts from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Genuine hypertherm consumables. Have 2 small water seperators and dryer at compressor and 2 10" canisters filled with dessicant. Compressor also has automatic drain. We've went to ground with a ground rod and grounded table and boom to it. Don't know what to try next.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Have a look at your used nozzles and electrodes. Are there black or gray swirling marks around the electrode and inside the nozzle leading up to the hole in the middle. If so your air is clean enough despite your efforts with all the seperaters and desiccant, or could be that your using an air line with a lot of moisture or crap in it.
shanemiller
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shanemiller »

No swirling nothing. I just cut some 9 gauge metal and showed cut time to be 12 minutes and only took 2 tips to cut it. Been using same system for several years now without this problem. I've ran out of ideas on what to do. With new tip it cuts great but not for long,
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

If its not dirty air its gotta be settings. What nozzle and amperage setting are you using? What is your pierce height and cut height at? Not looking for the settings in your software bit actually stop and measure the actual pierce and cut height.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

When you say "tip".....are you talking about the nozzle or the electrode or the shield? There is no part called a tip on a Hypertherm. Can you post good closeup pictures of the worn nozzle , electrode and shield.....the wear patterns will tell a story. Jim Colt

shanemiller wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:55 pm No swirling nothing. I just cut some 9 gauge metal and showed cut time to be 12 minutes and only took 2 tips to cut it. Been using same system for several years now without this problem. I've ran out of ideas on what to do. With new tip it cuts great but not for long,

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”