New to machine cutting.

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Fatbastard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

New to machine cutting.

Post by Fatbastard »

New equipment, Wright pro table 4x4, Hypertherm 45xp, water table. Mach 3 software.

My cut quality is horrible. I Cannot seem to get cut to start where I want it. I zero x, y, and z retool path. Check cut Hight and speed with mach 3. looks like torch is coming off table as it progresses thru cut? Frustrated beyond believe. I did a better job cutting projects by hand.

Chip
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: New to machine cutting.

Post by Brand X »

Is there some code you could post up?. Might help on the X/Y start point..Sounds like issues with the THC on the torch lift. The Ebay kits probably are not the best option on getting a functioning THC out of the box.. Might have to post some pics of that setup, and let experts like Tom take a look..Maybe they use something that actually works, but hard to tell from here. The whole CNC thing can be quite a learning curve, and made way worse when there is little support. On the flip side, if you keep plugging away, you will get a pretty good understanding of your system, or a upgraded one that fixes some of these issues.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

A lot of info missing do you have a THC, did you perform any setup before you started cutting part you wanted to keep? As Brand X states if the THC is not setup (arc voltage) for the metal thickness and speed to cut the metal at about 0.060" the torch will wonder to find the voltage you have set.
There are many posts here that talk about how to determine the arc voltage so when the THC is used the torch will track correctly.
Also a bolt together table may not be able to keep the torch and the metal parallel to each other.
supply equipment you have, what post processor and a G-code will help other to help you get things working correctly.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Fatbastard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fatbastard »

I will try to post info, Thank You

Chip
Fatbastard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fatbastard »

Sorry I cannot load pictures? Not computer savvy. THC controller is a roma, came with my wright 4x4 table. Followed all set up procedures that They sent me in video. I am sure there something that I missed not real detailed in there tutorial. Trying to learn as I go. So many questions though. Did run some G code tests, cut no problem. I've been trying to get customer service on line they just keep sending me video links.... I need to have some one with the knowledge of setting this table up. What I've cut are files I downloaded from this site. I tried to cut a flag and an infinity piece. Starts out cutting fine then seems to ramp up and cut goes to shit. Looks like gouging. I set zero at lower corner of piece Im working on, touch torch to metal, Then lift torch just off metal. Set zero. Regenerate tool path and try cut?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

How about working with Wright? No one knows more about their machines than they do! Jim Colt Hypertherm
Fatbastard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fatbastard »

Wright C.N.C. came thru, James was very helpful. Thanks all of you. I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”