wavy cuts

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

wavy cuts

Post by james.davis »

http://www.plasmaspider.com/download/fi ... w&id=54117
Can any one tell me why my cuts look like this?
I have a DHC2 WITH DESIGNEDGE SOFTWARE ,RUNNING A HYPRETHERM 45,NEW CONSUMABLES.at speeds 300 to 340 same results amps 45
lots of drose on back.
Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
20180323_020235 (1).jpg
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: wavy cuts

Post by plasmanewbie »

Possibly travelling too slow and or slop in your machine motion could cause this.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

What is the material thickness and type? What is your acceleration set at? Do you have advanced height?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Slat wave most likely. All the wiggles are in the same spot, right after a gantry turn. When the gantry changes direction abruptly it shakes the table, causing the slats to wave giving you wiggly cuts. Either that or one of your drive motors is slipping or loose, giving the same thing. I had this exact thing when I first started and found my slats were wiggling.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Mesmetalart
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mesmetalart »

Gamelord wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:31 am Slat wave most likely. All the wiggles are in the same spot, right after a gantry turn. When the gantry changes direction abruptly it shakes the table, causing the slats to wave giving you wiggly cuts. Either that or one of your drive motors is slipping or loose, giving the same thing. I had this exact thing when I first started and found my slats were wiggling.
Just interested. How did you stop the wiggling
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Had the same basic thing at one time, took me a bit to figure out back then but my experience was similar to Gamelord's. My machine was TM3 finished 5'x10', "bolt together". I found running fast cut speed on pieces with hard turns etc. would cause the exact same looking waves. I combed the machine over looking for any sign of unwanted movement and tightened as needed also making adjustments to speed/ramping rates. Seemed to alleviate my issue for the most part until I was hit by belt stretch on one Y axis motor...waves again... :roll:
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I stopped the slat wave by welding in another notched third "center" finger to hold the slats and put a slight bend in them so the slats were under a little tension instead of just sitting in the table free. Fixed the issue right up.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”