xy axis for granite

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
conradestrada
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

xy axis for granite

Post by conradestrada »

I see a lot of people have made their own tables. Nice work! I am looking to make a table to cut granite what I need is a x,y axis only. What have you guys done to make your gantries? What I want is to attach a grinder and it cut straight lines. My neighbor does granite and over a beer I came up with this idea. We all know how that goes. So, if you want to share your ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I am up in age so looking at your photos I could not get large enough to see the designs. I won’t need the gears or anything this will be pushed by hand should be very easy. Or so it seamed over a beer. Thanks
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: xy axis for granite

Post by msimpson99 »

Using grinder?
Push by hand?

Sounds like you need a Tile saw to me.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Funny you say granite. One of the guys on the LinuxCNC forum was trying to talk me into building a granite engraver with some tiny little servos I have and posted some interesting videos. Very interesting.
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-l ... s?start=20
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

So basically you need a table to place the granite on, then rails on each side to roll a gantry on. Then you would need a swivel arrangement to enable the cutting tool to be turned side ways to cut the other direction. Maybe you could find an old radial arm saw that you could borrow the carriage off of for the swivel setup.

I would think you would go thru a lot of cut off disks to cut much granite. Maybe a diamond blade cut off saw with a water spray to cool the blade would work better. You can pick up tile saws pretty cheap that you could adapt to what you want to do.

Just a few ideas I thought of (and I didn't even have a beer!), Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”