Trucut or LDR

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Mbattles
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Trucut or LDR

Post by Mbattles »

I'm looking at purchasing a LDR plasma table with bladder . But have seen the trucut xt machines they have rack and pinion. Would I really notice a difference in the operation between the two I like the bladder water tank on the LDR but which machine would be more accurate and reliable never owned a plasma table so it all is new the difference in price is around 200. I will be mostly cutting 14gauge
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Trucut or LDR

Post by sphurley »

I thought they were both rack and pinion? TC has the rack mounted on the side and LDR mounts it under the rail.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

They are both good systems, both use rack and pinion drive mechanics. Either one can be purchased with a water table or downdraft table. Best bet is to look closely at their design, get feedback about after sale support (trust me....both are excellent) and study and understand the supplied CAD / CAM and machine control software on each. Only warning....don't let price be the final decision maker.....you will own this machine for many years and in ten years you will look back and realize that the purchase price works out to just pennies of operating cost per use. A few thousand at purchase time makes no noticeable difference when it is figured as "cost of ownership over time. Jim Colt
Othog
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Othog »

I bought a LDR, haven't regretted it. Dan has always pointed me in right direction when I needed it
Mbattles
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mbattles »

Awesome I think I'm going with the LDR just was not sure i thought the LDR used steppers instead of rack and pinion or are they the same sorry if it's a dumb question learning as I go I use a laser at my current job but can't afford a nice laser so going with a plasma thank you all for your help and input
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

Steppers are the type of motor, while rack and pinion is the motion mechanism. Motors are either stepper or servo, with servo being the more expensive of the two.
joekocjan
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by joekocjan »

I've had an LDR for a couple of years now, Dan has always got us through whatever problem we've had. Which all of those problems were operator error. Can't speak for other tables but I have no regrets
Mbattles
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mbattles »

Appreciate the help I am going with the LDR it has a 10 week lead time but that will give me time to install a overhead door in my shop.
Othog
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Othog »

Which plasma cutter are you going to use
Rex

Post by Rex »

Hypertherm is the only way to go.
plasmacam 4x8 with DHC2 with Design Edge
Hypertherm 65
philb86
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by philb86 »

Definately go with Hypertherm, I have an LDR and Dans support is second to none if anything comes up table wise, mostly user error.
Mbattles
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mbattles »

I am going with a hypertherm 45 wish I could get bigger but check book can't handle any more cost
Ryan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Ryan »

I was looking at LDR, Arclight and Trucut. I ended up going with a JD2 MAD 4x8. Very glad I did. I think the JD2 is a bit ahead of the game. The table construction is impeccable. The GUI software is still blowing my mind. I went to Trucut and checked out their tables. I was pretty sure I wanted the 4x8 because it was the most affordable. However I took Jim Colt's advice and stopped worrying about a few more thousand dollars. When you are rolling in work a few thousand will be made up for in no time. Especially when you have a top end machine. I have no problems out of my table. The latest update to the GUI allows you to see exactly what the machine will be cutting. So you catch your mistakes before they happen. Great for a noob like me. As for going bigger, you could find a really good deal on a used machine. My dad insisted we went with a PM85 and Im so glad he did.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

FYI the "GUI" has improved (they use LINUXCNC) on JD2, but the proper comparison would be to explore the LINUX based LDR or Arclight. Using the different videos at https://arclightcnc.com/command-cnc-videos/ you can see the user interface is really clean and functional. The controls market has broken into two camps: The Windows (mostly MACH3) and the LINUX/LINUXCNC platform. In the end is how well the machine cuts and the possible options it supports.
all names have been taken
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by all names have been taken »

Please don't take this negatively because that isn't my intentions but am afraid it might come across that way.

My opinion is that you should not order any brand of machine until you do a LOT more research. I do not mean researching brands. You do not yet have a basic understanding of the mechanics of these machines. A proper decision can NOT be made until you have a solid understanding of the machines. If you buy before you understand then you are just shooting from the hip. You work too hard for your money to make a decision in this manner.

There is more then enough information available to you without ever talking to the manufacturers. You know you will have done the proper research if you call the manufacture to order the machine and do not really have any questions to ask them besides lead times.
rcecarbldr
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by rcecarbldr »

Ryan wrote:I was looking at LDR, Arclight and Trucut. I ended up going with a JD2 MAD 4x8. Very glad I did. I think the JD2 is a bit ahead of the game. The table construction is impeccable. The GUI software is still blowing my mind. I went to Trucut and checked out their tables. I was pretty sure I wanted the 4x8 because it was the most affordable. However I took Jim Colt's advice and stopped worrying about a few more thousand dollars. When you are rolling in work a few thousand will be made up for in no time. Especially when you have a top end machine. I have no problems out of my table. The latest update to the GUI allows you to see exactly what the machine will be cutting. So you catch your mistakes before they happen. Great for a noob like me. As for going bigger, you could find a really good deal on a used machine. My dad insisted we went with a PM85 and Im so glad he did.
I just ordered this same table a week ago and also bought the PM85 cutter. I've been using a Torchmate 2x2 with matching Lincoln 40amp cutter for 6 years now. It's been great for simple, one off pieces but it's time to start producing product I can sell and more. I too researched a lot of tables out there and almost pulled the trigger on an Arclight but my being in Florida and them being way out in Oregon was a deciding factor but also the fact I know Bob Hughes (JD2) puts a lot of heart and soul into everything he designs and I love the stainless water table which I will be using Green Cut anyways.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”