therm dyn 60i torch swap

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
gruss
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

therm dyn 60i torch swap

Post by gruss »

i have a thermal dynamics 60i machine with a manual torch. what do i need to do to adapt to a cnc table? i know i need a machine torch, the manual lists a sl100 torch with pendant to switch to machine torch use. where would i wire the pendant to? the torch height control?
DanM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: therm dyn 60i torch swap

Post by DanM »

I almost bought one too but talked to the tech support first. Unfortunately that machine isn't for cnc use, you need either the A series machine or a 52 on up. I'm sure you can hack into it like some have done with the 42 but for me it wasn't worth it when you can get a cutmaster 52 for less than the 60 and it's plug and play. I would suggest returning it for a different unit. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The pendant is not used on a cnc machine. Pendants are for non-cnc things like track burners or pipe cutters to manually start the torch. Jim Colt
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I used the pendant wires (cut the switch off the end of the pendant,and goes to the torch plug) to fire the standard torch on a cutmaster 101/151 (without the CNC interface) Right into CanCNC card.. So yes, it will be one way to get the track torch to work like the automation torch. Although no air valve in the torch, like the SL100SV torch. I still have all the cards to hook up a CanCNC to a 60i even with the SL-100SV torch.

The pendant wires can go to a voltage divider card or table card on the CanCNC stuff. (two places depending) It will work in case you were wondering that.. :mrgreen:
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

Brand X wrote:I used the pendant wires (cut the switch off the end of the pendant,and goes to the torch plug) to fire the standard torch on a cutmaster 101/151 (without the CNC interface) Right into CanCNC card.. So yes, it will be one way to get the track torch to work like the automation torch. Although no air valve in the torch, like the SL100SV torch. I still have all the cards to hook up a CanCNC to a 60i even with the SL-100SV torch.

The pendant wires can go to a voltage divider card or table card on the CanCNC stuff. (two places depending) It will work in case you were wondering that.. :mrgreen:
Yep that sounds like a GREAT setup lol :shock:
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

So are you saying using Tom's voltage card, and inductive pickup does not work just as well as a anything from Hypertherm/victor/Esab. Because you use the trigger wires on the torch, instead of the 12 pin makes your cuts better? Any other helpful insight on how to get this to work. I guess helping someone for a work around,and correcting wrong info from the hypertherm rep is not to be tolerated by some of the real fan boy/water carriers here. LOL.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Since BrandX seems to be saying that I supplied "bad" info.....I have reworded my statement about the pendant switch!

jimcolt wrote:The pendant is not designed to be used on a cnc machine. Pendants are for non-cnc things like track burners or pipe cutters to manually start the torch. Jim Colt
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

Brand X wrote:So are you saying using Tom's voltage card, and inductive pickup does not work just as well as a anything from Hypertherm/victor/Esab. Because you use the trigger wires on the torch, instead of the 12 pin makes your cuts better? Any other helpful insight on how to get this to work. I guess helping someone for a work around,and correcting wrong info from the hypertherm rep is not to be tolerated by some of the real fan boy/water carriers here. LOL.
Your posts on here generally are always about how smart you think you are. Telling someone on a post a redneck rigup of equipment is far from being "smart" or a good idea for them in the long run.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”