proma thc problem

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
MAINVIST
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

proma thc problem

Post by MAINVIST »

Hi all of you!

I have a little problem concerning my proma thc, when I cut on my cnc table (running with mach3) thE THC don't always correct the height of the torch. sometime it jog up/down like a jigsaw and it not make a good cut quality. most of the time, it don't correct the height of the torch to get the good voltage. I do the test mode of the THC all works fine.
I try different setting from the THC menu (histerisis , voltage , max voltage etc.) without result...
I think the problem can come from my old computer (compaq from year 2000) can it be the computer that it to slow?

thanks in advance
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: proma thc problem

Post by AdrianH »

Just wondering what speed you have the THC percentage at, if just jogging up and down I wonder if it is overshooting?

Adrian
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Have you looked at the arc voltage when it is cutting, and does it fluctuate a lot. Are you connecting the Plasma work wire directly to the metal you are cutting. You did not say what brand of Plasma you are using.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
MAINVIST
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MAINVIST »

thank for fast respond

the speed for the thc is 60%
I use a plasma miller spectrum 375 x-treme
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

If I am correct in Mach3, the THC Z axis control does not have acceleration or deceleration, but is basically your percentage of rapid speed so if for example you can rapid at 400ipm but are cutting at 200ipm then your Z under THC will be moving at 240 ipm.

Now I know that those speeds are typically X and Y axis but depending on what your rapid Z is it could still be too fast, basically if your THC is saying the voltage is low move up, by the time the next check of the arc voltage comes around you may actually have over shot so now your THC is reading too high and says go down, you over shoot etc.

Just try slowing the THC speed to something like 10%, even 5%, see if it removes the issue and then try speeding it up in steps to get a good compromise.

The Z axis speed may not be your issue but it is something that is quick to try out and test.

Adrian
LakeCruiser
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by LakeCruiser »

I had a problem with bad consumables. I causes erratic voltages. Mine would even crash into the material.
Homemade 36X36 table
Can go from Plasma to Router in 10 Minutes
American Modified Chinese Controller
Proma Electronics THC
Cambam and Mach3
Longevity Forcecut 40D
Miller 211 MIG Welder

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”