Drawing tablet??

General software related questions should be posted here.
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Drawing tablet??

Post by Dustan »

how the people that own a tablet makin out? is it worth it how does it work? does it work for scratch drawing art to plasma cut I sure hope so cause it sounds easy :P but its prob not :( please someone tell it works awesome :) 8-)
Krazy Kutz metal designs
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Drawing tablet??

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

It's better than a mouse for drawing, because it's more like a pencil, complete with an eraser on the other end, but it's the same as a mouse otherwise, except it has pressure sensitivity, which allows for line width (or opacity) variation while drawing (assuming your software recognizes pressure), and it is slightly more cumbersome than a mouse for non-drawing operations.

Better tablets have better pens and more pressure sensitivity levels. Lower quality pens with less pressure sensitivity levels are harder to achieve smooth pressure variation.

It is not like drawing with a pencil though, it is more like drawing with a sharpie, you have to go slow, and it helps to zoom in for smoother lines.

Overall I'd say it's worth it, because it gives you more drawing control than a mouse, but it doesn't do anything that a mouse can't (except pressure sensitivity), so it's not really any easier, except for the way a pen is easier to draw with.

see also:
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... 410#p11410
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mountain Home »

I have just started using a Wacom Bamboo and I love it, compared to using a mouse. It makes tracing photos a
lot easier, but it didn't make me an artist. The Bamboo at about $100 is a cool gadget to use but I wouldn't expect
any miracles.
tentonjj
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tentonjj »

Dustan wrote:how the people that own a tablet makin out? is it worth it how does it work? does it work for scratch drawing art to plasma cut I sure hope so cause it sounds easy :P but its prob not :( please someone tell it works awesome :) 8-)
heres a link to the most widley used brand. I myself have the intous4 and it makes everything so easy. I must say that like drawing on paper there is a tendency to move the paper around to draw things and the wacom cant. it takes a bit getting it down. when i draw now i do not touch the mouse at all everything is done with the pen.
http://www.wacom.com/intuos/?gclid=CKGP ... KgodbBYfAA
Jayson Johnson
JMJ Graphix
920-517-7122

Return to “General Discussion”