Cutting issues with Hyperrtherm 85

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
bafortin
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cutting issues with Hyperrtherm 85

Post by bafortin »

I recently purchased a hypertherm powermax 85 that I use in conjunction with a Plasmacam 4 X 4 table. The cut quality is great, but for some reason or another, and very inconsistently, it will not start the cut. It will go through the motion as if it were cutting, but only the air blows. When this happens, I get and error message 0-30 (consumables stuck error) . It will do this not cutting issue and next cut action, it will cut. The cutter has about 10 hours of cutting on it. I have been in contact with hypertherm since July trying to figure out what the problem is. In this time, I have changed the torch as well as the air valve. the problem continues to happen, but not 25% of the time as it used to. I am cutting 14 gauge steel as well as 10 gauge and thicker. I believe my air quality is good since I have an air cooling system on the air as well as a oil filter in front of the air cooler.

Here are my parameters:
14 gauge steel
Hypertherm powermax 85
cut speed: 250 ipm
Air cooling system
Air filter canister in front of cooler

I have tried to attach a video link of what it is doing, but I am unable to attach the video. If anyone would like to see the video, I can send it to you if you respond with an email address or a way I can attch the video. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Boyd Fortin
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting issues with Hyperrtherm 85

Post by djreiswig »

There are other posts on this error. Do a search. Jim has some pretty good advice. He usually starts with checking the air pressure right at the rear of the cutter.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Bad Oring and bad swirl ring will cause that. Also if you have your air pressure in manual and its too high it will also cause that.
bafortin
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bafortin »

I did a search, after I posted this, and found some advice that Jim posted. I will follow his advice and see what happens. I have changed the swirl ring per Hypertherm's advice back in August. I hope it is an air pressure issue. Thanks for eth help.
Boyd Fortin

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”