Plasma Cam software update!!

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
north shore fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Plasma Cam software update!!

Post by north shore fab »

I just got off the phone with the tech and sales departments at plasma cam. tech was for some info on setting up the table to be used as a router. they were surprisingly helpful. the guy made a quick reference to a tube cutting attachment but didnt say much about it. when i talked to the sales rep about some different software, he also mentioned they are in the design stages for a retrofit tube cutter for both the 4x4 and 5x10. pretty cool they said about $2000 is what he thought the new attachment would run. not definite yet though.

the main reason for this post though is their new software package. the Cad side of PC i think has always sucked and been very limited, not able to draw a simple oval or curve text were my main complaints. This new software has been in the designs stages for three years and the employees at PC have been testing it for about 3 months on their own machines. It has a lot more features and expanded tool bars, as well as more control options and setting. they guy is sending me a screen shot of the new program i will post it when i receive it. there is also a fonts package and a stencil option that will take any font and automatically stencil the letters with islands in the middle. sounds like a really sweet upgrade they are asking just under $2000 for the software but it only has one seat with it. that sucks i use plasma cam on three different computers. you can buy 2-5 additional seats for $500 and anything over 6 seats is $90. pretty much all the info i got, has anyone upgraded to it? comments concerns?

Tim Yuhas
North Shore Fabrication
north shore fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Plasma Cam software update!!

heres a screen shot of the new software
Attachments
designedge.JPG
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

Looks a bit like the Torchmate screenshot.
Be interesting to know if has auto nesting capabilities.
north shore fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

as far as i know it does not. they did not mention that when i talked to them. and i think i saw a cd on their parts page that had nesting software on it.

i got more info on the tube cutter. it is going to be a stand alone unit and you will have to remove the gantry from the table and mount it to this out piece. sounds like a awful idea. any one that has had to removing and reinstall the gantry knows its a pita to get both sides meshed just right.
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

Yep, looks like Plasmacam are selling MTC nesting software.
It's a pity it wasn't included but, I can imagine the work involved in getting a whole new system developed.
It also includes freehand drawing which would be great if it's compatible with tablets.
30 to 60 days before it hits the streets....
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Possumplasma wrote:Looks a bit like the Torchmate screenshot.
Be interesting to know if has auto nesting capabilities.
Excuse my ignorance (I'm stll learning) but is "auto nesting" a simplified version of the nesting already on PlasmaCam as detailed in their manual page 7-21?

Murray
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

Marray,
Auto nesting is carried out automatically by the software.
You enter the sheet size, number of parts etc, the computer does the rest.
It can nest parts within parts if there's room....it saves a heap of time and material.
Have a look at the MTC website to appreciate what else it does.

http://www.mtc-software.com/

I believe PlasmaCAM are marketing the Turbo Nest version.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Thanks for the clarification, I haven't done a lot of CNC cutting but all that I have done has been on a Plasmacam, when I've had to nest I've had to get the manual out and work through it. Simpler is better, especially for me.
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

Hey Murray,
Is it you that's located downunder, if so, just wondering where?
I'm in Northern NSW...Murwillumbah.
Mick.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

When I saw your location I looked it up in the map book, thought by the "bah" on the end it'd be north. Found it, you don't get much farther north in NSW than Murwillumbah do you ?

I'm originally from WA, about an hour northeast of Perth but moved to Castlemaine Victoria two and a half years ago. A couple of times a year I go back to see family, mates etc. and when I do, that's when I spend a few days at a mates workshop cutting on his Plasmacam. Looking at setting up my own table here very soon, at this stage probably leaning towards a Bulltear with a Powermax 45 (only got single phase power here).

Got a stepson up on the Goldcoast, have to drive up there one day to take a load of his stuff up that's been in my way here since moving, when we do I'll send you a message, you might like to share a vegemite sanga, tinnie and a few yarns :D

Murray
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

Oh okay, I figured you were a Plasmacam owner.
You must have a photographic memory, being able to quote sections of your mates manual in WA.
I've been an owner/user of Plasmacam/Samson equipment for over 8 years and, even I would have to go to the manual to do that.
Re; The eyeball....I'm usually very busy so, doubt that would be on the cards....but thanks for the offer.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

No photographic memory, far from it but I do have lots of exercise books which I write down a lot of references etc. in, helps when I need to do things again, especially as I'm not doing it all the time.
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

The new "Design Edge" by Plasmacam software is now available.
It will import and vectorize bitmaps, tiffs and jpegs. It will also import dxf and gcode.
You can trace and use a drawing tablet. Text can be placed on an arc or inside a shape like a banner or perspective. Text can automatically be stenciled. Text can be automatically combined on a base to make a sign.
It has a shape feature to make flanges, spirals, gears, sprockets, waves, ovals and more.
You can get more information at 1-719-676-2700

George
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

Does it have a price? And are there discounts for plasmacam owners? Is it compatable with all plasmacam tables?
Brian
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

Brian,
The Design Edge drawing program is compatible with all the Plasmacam models. You can get it with machine control functions for DHC/DHC2/Samson
Contact sales2011@plasmacam.com for more details including an upcoming "Webinar" demonstration.

George
7mile
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 7mile »

I called about the new software. It's $2000 there is no demo and the only documentation they could send was very limited. They said I could get on a schedule for a webinar but there schedule didn't work for me yet
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

The "webinars" are the best way to see the features of the Design Edge software. Call Sales for a schedule.
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Arc Innovations »

north shore fab wrote:as far as i know it does not. they did not mention that when i talked to them. and i think i saw a cd on their parts page that had nesting software on it.

i got more info on the tube cutter. it is going to be a stand alone unit and you will have to remove the gantry from the table and mount it to this out piece. sounds like a awful idea. any one that has had to removing and reinstall the gantry knows its a pita to get both sides meshed just right.

I'm lost. What is this tube cutter? Is it the same thing as using a router where now you envolve the Z axis for 3D work?
Arc Innovations

http://ai-metalworks.com
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Arc Innovations »

geo4932 wrote:The new "Design Edge" by Plasmacam software is now available.
It will import and vectorize bitmaps, tiffs and jpegs. It will also import dxf and gcode.
You can trace and use a drawing tablet. Text can be placed on an arc or inside a shape like a banner or perspective. Text can automatically be stenciled. Text can be automatically combined on a base to make a sign.
It has a shape feature to make flanges, spirals, gears, sprockets, waves, ovals and more.

George
With the design edge software, do you have a USB "key" that you can take from one computer to another for a single seat of the software, Or can you only load the software once onto a single computer?
Arc Innovations

http://ai-metalworks.com
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Arc Innovations wrote:
geo4932 wrote:The new "Design Edge" by Plasmacam software is now available.

George
With the design edge software, do you have a USB "key" that you can take from one computer to another for a single seat of the software, Or can you only load the software once onto a single computer?
No, But if you already own plasmacam they will give you an extra seat license for free for your other computer..... for what its worth I have the new software and really love the difference
Brian
superfly611
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by superfly611 »

i am going to be buying a plasmacam soon and would like to have the software in the shop and the house. i thought someone mentioned it would be an extra $500 for software that you can design parts for another computer.. is there some sort of cd key? why can't you install it on more than 1 computer if you own it?
planetxfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by planetxfred »

as with most software, you don't own any of it, you have a license to use it (often on a specific number of machines - usually 1), You can install it on whatever machine you want, but they give you an activation code to enter that makes it work. Witout the code, it is just a file that takes up space. The code is different each time, so cannot be used on more than one computer.
Fred
superfly611
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by superfly611 »

Thanks. I ended up just buying an extra seat License. I'll put it on one of my laptops and then I have the desktop that will run the machine For the other license. My dad got a lot of good information and did a lot of research before purchasing the plasmacam I will consolidate the Notes and share it with others.
I can't wait for it to come in. I just hope my dad gets it together pretty quick. Anyone have any do's or don'ts advice before we set it up?
Russcott
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Russcott »

superfly611 wrote:Thanks. I ended up just buying an extra seat License. I'll put it on one of my laptops and then I have the desktop that will run the machine For the other license. My dad got a lot of good information and did a lot of research before purchasing the plasmacam I will consolidate the Notes and share it with others.
I can't wait for it to come in. I just hope my dad gets it together pretty quick. Anyone have any do's or don'ts advice before we set it up?
following! We just got our PlasmaCam a couple of weeks ago and still setting it up. Looking forward to your consolidated notes.
superfly611
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by superfly611 »

I'm Scanning the notes tonight I hope to compile them tomorrow. If I can't get them into a word document I will just upload them as JPEG's.

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”