Anyone offer a warranty ?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Kibby
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Anyone offer a warranty ?

Post by Kibby »

Hi all. I have a customer that has a business located on Main Street in my town and they ask me to build them a sign. The sign will be three foot by four foot mostly metal but will have small wood cutouts in the shape of leaves mechanically bolted to the sign then the entire sign will be clear coated with PPG top of the line clear coat. There are some other steps involved with prepping the wood just to let you know I have used wood in this way and been successfull. Now to my question. They are asking if I provide a warranty on the sign, this has never come up before so I am wondering what other people do. I am confident in my workmanship but this sign will be hung out exposed to the public. Where do you draw the line about what's covered? Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Gary
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Anyone offer a warranty ?

Post by little blue choo »

You will have no control over how this sign is treated or what it will be expose to. Therefore I would guaranty satisfaction on delivery and nothing else. I have built many outdoor signs and gates and have never offered anything more. Powder coat will hold up better in the outdoors better than clear coat. Just my 2 cents.
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

I always offered a 30/30 warranty on custom work: 30 ft or 30 seconds after they took delivery. You have no control over what happens outdoors. The warranty would need to be a long legal document that list everything you DID NOT cover (bullet holes, lightening strikes, flying debris,vandals, acts of war, acts of God, negligence, etc.) If you lose the job over that its probably a job that needs to go to a sign shop at 3X what you are charging. You could offer them an unconditional warranty on the sign for 3X the price or none for the normal price and let them choose!
Kibby
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Kibby »

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted some conformation from some people in this business. Don't think it's a deal breaker for the job. Appreciate the input.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”