DXF not showing any Paths?

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
bigworm36
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

DXF not showing any Paths?

Post by bigworm36 »

Hey everyone. I have been using inkscape for a while now making all kinds of things amd I love it! However all of a sudden I am having issues when saving as a DXF the file does not show up in sheetcam. The process that causes this is I create my bracket in solid edge and save as a DXF. I then open the DXF in inkscape to add some fancy graphics. I save as DXF again and notice when importing into sheetcam my bracket does not show up only my graphics. I have also notice when opening my bracket as a DXF in inkscape it is seeing it as a symbol and I don't have any nodes or paths which I assume is why I don't see it in sheetcam. Anyone know why inkscape is doing this to my bracket? Thank you for the help !
Arclight 5x5 table
Delta 3 CandCNC controller
Hypertherm PM 85
Linux computer
Solid edge 3D
SheetCam
Inkscape
Millermatic 211
www.ceeplasma.com
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: DXF not showing any Paths?

Post by gamble »

Did you export it as dxf ? not save it. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I use export
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
bigworm36
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bigworm36 »

gamble wrote:Did you export it as dxf ? not save it. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I use export
No I usually just save as .dxf, but I will try that. I'll try anything at this point never had issues before very weird.
Arclight 5x5 table
Hypertherm PM 85
Linux computer
Solid edge 3D
SheetCam
Inkscape
Millermatic 211
www.ceeplasma.com
bigworm36
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bigworm36 »

That did not work. It's odd because even when I save as a DXF in inkscape it doesn't even show in solid edge. So I it's not sheetcam and I don't think solid edge is the issue. Must be something with inkscape that changed.
Arclight 5x5 table
Hypertherm PM 85
Linux computer
Solid edge 3D
SheetCam
Inkscape
Millermatic 211
www.ceeplasma.com
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I don't use Inkscape much, but a couple of things come to mind. Maybe the bracket and the graphics are on separate layers and are not being exported to .dxf together. Maybe there is no color on the line, or maybe there is no line at all on the bracket.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Have you tried saving to Inkscapes native vector format , SVG then importing into SheetCAM as an SVG file? If you can see it in Inkscape and save it in Inkscape as SVG it should export with full curves.
kaharshs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kaharshs »

I have the same problem and do not understand it.
4x8 plasma, candcnc IV
Powermax 65
Millermagic 211 mig
Lincoln sq175 tig
Miller bluestar 2e stick
Bead roller, tube bender, ext.....
kaharshs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kaharshs »

I just found a solution to helped me. Make sure that when you save the file from solid edge that you "unblock all". The areas that were blocked on solid edge 2d would delete after modifying the dxf file in inkscape.
4x8 plasma, candcnc IV
Powermax 65
Millermagic 211 mig
Lincoln sq175 tig
Miller bluestar 2e stick
Bead roller, tube bender, ext.....
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There is a simple thing you may try when you have your object on the screen click on the Select tool and place a box around your object. Move the cursor near the object and hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse to the lower right you will see a box appear around the object. When you release the mouse button the object should now have a dashed box around the object, it may touch some of the edges. Go to the path menu and click on "object to path" this changes all inside the dashed box to a path. If you click on the node tool (next tool below the select tool) and move the mouse cursor touching the object. If it has a path it will show the object as a red outlined object and change back as you move away from touching it.
If you have the mouse cursor touching the object and double click on it it should show the nodes on it.
path1.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bigworm36
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bigworm36 »

Appreciate all the help guys I have tried many of your comments but I get it to show in sheetcam now but have a new problem. I think the problem lies in that the object is a symbol for whatever reason and not a path in inkscape. I'm not familiar with symbols very much but I would think it's driven by the real object somewhere. I tried unlinking the symbol which converts it to an object which is a step further but still not getting the nodes when I do a object to path. Thus is so odd since I have never had an issues with dxf files like this before. Thank you again for all the help.
Arclight 5x5 table
Hypertherm PM 85
Linux computer
Solid edge 3D
SheetCam
Inkscape
Millermatic 211
www.ceeplasma.com
bigworm36
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bigworm36 »

Okay so in case anyone else has an issue like mine I think it has to do with the DXF file that I bought online and how it was saved between the different software. I used QCAD and opened the DXF and saved as another DXF then everything opened as normal in inkscape with all the nodes displaying. Thank you again everyone with the help
Arclight 5x5 table
Hypertherm PM 85
Linux computer
Solid edge 3D
SheetCam
Inkscape
Millermatic 211
www.ceeplasma.com

Return to “Inkscape”