Dan's 5x10 PPLLC & CandCNC Build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Dan's 5x10 PPLLC & CandCNC Build

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Limits connect and configured. It's so awesome how the Y straightens itself to the Y & A limits. Nerd alert! lol.

Motors tuned. I've got 24 Pitch R&P with a 1" PD and using 620oz motors. Once I got the motors config'd correctly, the table ran sooooo much smoother (i.e. acceleration was now spot on). Even ran a few g-codes through MDI screen to make sure it was on. Got a good handle on basic motion operations now.

E-stop plunger button installed, too. Then I also added a "power on" green lamp on the cabinet to show the UPS powered on.

Pick-up the CORRECT RS-485 kit for my 45XP tomorrow at Bakers. I ordered the #228539 kit, but that's for the 65/85/105 only. The 45XP requires the #428654 serial kit (also $6 cheaper).

50A/220v circuit gets run & wired Saturday. So I might actually throw some sparks this weekend.
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Progress is slow but sure. Spring has sprung on me and it's getting hard to fit all this it.

- CandCNC THC PWM wired
- CandCNC DCP-01B wired
- 45XP RS-485 upgrade completed
- 45XP torch, ground, CPC, RS485 all connected
- 220v/50A circuit for plasma installed (120' of 6/2 wire, in conduit, with remote switch)

Just have to...
1. Feed the RS485's cat5 cable through my machine conduit to the control box.
2. Connect the 220/50A to the main panel
3. Mount the desiccant dryer and regulator on wall, and make a pair of 5' air hoses for plasma & dryer
4. Go through setup procedures for DCP-01B and THC PWM.
5. Eventually get the OHMic parts for my Mech torch
6. TEST FIRE!

Pics coming, I promise. =)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Make sure you update the Hub FIRMWARE to version 1.7 so the RS485 will work with the 45XP . You can check the version and do the update using the Hub Utility app.
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Got my 50a 220v powered.

Good news is I've got 240v service.

But...

There's always a but...

Digging in my pole barn panel, i discovered the prev owner ran 6ga wire to the 100A breaker. Looks bigger, but that's because its 6/3. Meanwhile I've just ran my 2nd 50a 220v leg wirh 6/2 off this panel, lol. Seems like a plasma & compressor (mag start) load test is in order, but i think i already know the outcome. Good grief. We shall see.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

What size compressor is on the same panel? A real 5hp should be just under 25amps. The 45XP states 32amps for 240vac at MAX output.
The XP would have to be cutting at 45amps @ 145vdc to get to that.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

My compressor is a 7.5hp that has a mag-start amperage of 64A and running amperage ~35A on 240v. I simply have to do a test run to make sure the instantaneous surge of the compressor won't trip the breaker with the cnc & 45xp running. I at least need to get rid of the 100A breaker and dumb it down to the 6ga wire's capability (60A). Despite, the First Energy engineer is supposed to be out sometime later this week to tell me what my options are for MORE POWER. Best case is they let me run a 2nd meter to the barn since it's a straight 130' shot from the pole with no obstacles. All underground utilities. Even better would be if they let me run a leg of 3-phase (dreaming).

Machine updates...
The 8' ground rod is in and wired. The first 4-ft pounding was a breeze, but that last 4'...oh man my hands hurt! The air chisel hammer was very effective early on, but didn't have enough ass to do much except spend air. Had to resort to the 10# Thor hammer.

Updated Hub firmware with version 1.7 for my 45xp.

Air supply to the 45xp is done. Numatics valve, Numatics coalescer, 2-qt desiccant pot and Numatics regulator/filter all connected off my 3/4" copper grid. The 45xp has its own little filter dude as well. Torch powers up with no errors and locks into R/C mode as it should.

Everything appears to be connected properly and online. All limits are working, home locations set. Only item I won't have running yet is the Ohmic sensor (need torch ring). Did a series of Sharpie-laid measuring tests and everything looks good. Still need to do a long Y-run test for squareness.

Need to check all my settings, mount the consumables, triple-check my floating Z trip distance, and load a test file (straight lines). Will be testing on some 12ga drops from the water table build later this week. Busy week! Spring has sprung!
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Finally remembered to snap a few pics...

Still have a few things to tie down, but nothing too important.
20170508_220632-1330x998.jpg
20170508_220529-997x1329.jpg
20170508_220548-997x1329.jpg
20170508_220658-997x1329.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

looks nice
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Played around with the Z-axis motor tuning and config as well as DTHC setup Friday. Just trying to get machine to cycle through a non-torch program with regular touch-off (no ohmic yet).

When I tried to run a simple program with seven 7" lines, the torch would either drag along the sheet, or, it would trip a probe. Would jog to start point but then fault and stop on G38.2 probe command.

Obviously still more work & homework to do. I need to run through the Z's motor math again, check all my velocity/acceleration values in config, check DTHC settings, Sheetcam settings, etc. Just too busy of a weekend to dive too deep unfortunately.

My Ohmic ret-cap arrives tomorrow, too.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The probe command I used was G31 for moving Z down to touch the metal surface.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Solved it this morning at 5:45am, lol. I had an early morning "oh duh" moment. Post processor UOM was still set to millimeters. DUH! I knew it was a g-code thing, and as soon as i looked at the numbers in the code I knew it was UOM. There was a z-command with "15.88", lol. :roll:

Full system test tonight. 8-)
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

There is no Z axis limit. If you have a mechnaical swtich its hooked up as a HOME (primary ) and backup touch off. If you have the FT-01 Ohmic sensor then its hooked up as a PROBE and is only for touch off. If you want a limit on Z (upper or lower) you will need to add them and put them in the Normally closed loop with the far limits and run that string to the LIMITS input. Limits only do one thing : The stop motion. They DO NOT however ALWAYS work. If you are doing a touch off or homing move it ignores limits. The switch on the Z was there to be used as a touch off (and still would be if you do not have the Ohmic Sensor) it then does double duty as a Home AND Probe (input set to Z home + Probe) TO test either finction use the Home Z button to home and in the G-Code display window hit the MANUAL tab and you will see a manual Touch off button . The two functions do different things. There is an absolute MACHINE Zero (set by Home switches . There are WORK zeros (set by the DRO and DRO zero buttons) and they are OFFSETS from machine zero . While you can run without homes and just set any old spot as Machine zero it sure makes life easier to have the machine know exactly where it is at all times no matter where you start the cut.
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Cut some metal, finally! Did some line cuts, circles, slots i had drawn in Pro/E and got a little rambunctious with some Inkscape fonts. Using some 12ga sheet drops from my water table build.

Outside of diving the torch and shooting a 1/2" hole in the pan off the edge of the sheet, it was a good night. Still A LOT to learn, no doubt. Only gets better from here forward.

Need to get my water pan plumbed -- smoke is no beuno.

Did not attempt to run plasma and let the big compressor kick on simultaneously. Baby steps.
20170516_223450-756x1008.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Time for a little happy dance :D :lol:
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

More like a happy shuffle...with burning a hole in my table and all, LOL.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I just might steal that controller enclosure idea when I build out my space. Thanks for the pics.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Capstone wrote:I just might steal that controller enclosure idea when I build out my space. Thanks for the pics.
It really is a pretty simple cabinet setup (and cheap). It's definitely not air-tight though, as it's meant to sit a few feet away from my water-pan-equipped table. Should keep dust from settling on it all. This isn't a commercial/business operation, so should be just fine for my needs.

I added 3/8" wood inserts (reclaimed shelving) inside the cabinet to mount stuff to. I stuffed the wiring from the table in pvc pipe and plumbed in into the cabinet with a short piece of flex drain hose.

Certainly some nicer cabinets out there, but they cost a lot more than $40!
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Tested the water pan for leaks. No leaks on the ~38' of pan welding. But one of the threaded flanges has a small drip. Tipped table to move the 1/2" deep water to the other end, and silicone caulked both flanges to be safe. Prob won't be cured fully until Saturday AM.

Already have a couple leads on some odd plasma side jobs. Word of mouth travels fast!
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Stupid Harbor Freight floor jack must have a leak b/c the table was sitting level on the floor this morning. All of the water that was in the table drained into a bucket...leaving a nice coating of oxidation on 75% of my pan. Son of a bee sting. Just glad I poured in 4gal of water and had a 5gal catch bucket.

Going with the sodium bicarbonate, water and some green dye for the quench fluid.

Any tips for using hard/well water? My well water is high in Fe. EDIT: Duhhhhh...I imagine the plasma water will also be high in iron content soon, LMAO! <open-hand-to-forehead> :oops:
Last edited by DMoneyAllstar on Tue May 23, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Water table is leak-free. Made a couple cuts and it is literally smoke-free and dust-free. I am AMAZED! Glad I made my initial cuts without water just to get a perspective on the benefits of the water table. Good Lord every machine should be equipped with one.

Checked my desiccant pot and all my vertical traps, and everything is bone dry.

Game on!

=) =) =)
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

More practicing and ended up having some floating Z-axis issues (haven't installed FeatherTouch Ohmic stuff yet..but I think it's time).

There is a micro-switch in my PPLLC floating Z head. Then there is what I'll call the "key" which is a black plastic piece that triggers the dip-switch and stops against the side of a cap screw in the keyway. Somehow the key got stuck and threw off the Z-values to where the Z moved enough to completely remove the key. When it tried to send the head back up, the key wasn't positioned correctly and bent the tab of the dip-switch. SMH. So I had to take the Z off the carriage and dive into it. There's a burr / impression that develops where the plastic key stops against the cap screw. This burr / impression caused the key to get stuck, thus preventing the Z dip-switch from being triggered, thus no Z stop, thus Z values are now shot, hence it ended up ejecting the key out the top, lol. Good grief.

In order to resume cutting, I had to clean-up the key, sprayed a little silicone lube on it, and then re-did the Z touch-off config. Also noticed there is some "clean-up" on the side of the key that does NOT touch the cap screw (previous owner issues? factory tweak?).
20170522_232342.jpg
Cutting some 12ga A653 galv CS I've got and there's both some bevel and hard dross. Not a material I'll really be working with much really, so not sure I want to waste my time tweaking feed and torch settings for it.

Also had the 7.5hp compressor kick-in during cutting and doesn't seem to cause any issues with the cut.

Don't have time to look it, but QUESTION: Is there a setting in Sheetcam or CommandCNC in regards to the duration of air flow through the torch after the end of a cut program? It's probably around 10-12 seconds right now and seems lengthy. Is this length of post-flow actually required for the torch for some reason?

Last edited by DMoneyAllstar on Tue May 23, 2017 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

It's funny. I have been following your build and for the last month, we have been on pretty much the same schedule. I just got my table running this past weekend and had the same question about airflow at the end of the cut. I started to just use the arrow keys to move the head around and use the air to blow the water off of the sheet.

Long story short, the post flow air is required to cool the consumables which increases their life.

Link to my post about end of cut airflow:
http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23158
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I ditched the little cheap roller setups, and just use a bent tang. Slides past, and back from trouble areas.. Old Microwaves have some pretty good switches in them. Found in my friends junk collection.. :mrgreen:

DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Simko wrote:It's funny. I have been following your build and for the last month, we have been on pretty much the same schedule. I just got my table running this past weekend and had the same question about airflow at the end of the cut. I started to just use the arrow keys to move the head around and use the air to blow the water off of the sheet.

Long story short, the post flow air is required to cool the consumables which increases their life.

Link to my post about end of cut airflow:
http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23158
Had a hunch it was something like that. Thanks! :)

I think I'm finally leveling out on the learning curve for this stuff. Been messing around with cad, inkscape and sheetcam more than anything and feel like I'm almost ready to cut some parts/art without too many screw-ups. Need to get some more steel (and free-time!).
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Brand X wrote:I ditched the little cheap roller setups, and just use a bent tang. Slides past, and back from trouble areas.. Old Microwaves have some pretty good switches in them. Found in my friends junk collection.. :mrgreen:
I've raided a couple old microwaves, dryers and furnaces for some nice connectors before, ha. Nothing wrong with being resourceful!

I think I'm gonna stick with the roller switch, but need to get on with wiring in the feather-touch to my limits and be done with the mechanical touch-off as the primary sensor. Most of what I'll be cutting is 3/16 -to- 14ga.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”