powermax 45 retaining cap

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
vickiegib1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

powermax 45 retaining cap

Post by vickiegib1 »

not sure if we need 220719 0r 220713 retaining sensing cap for powermax45 with machine torch plasma cam do we need a wire to sense the metal ??? or not. it came with 220713 so do we still need a sensing cap?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: powermax 45 retaining cap

Post by jimcolt »

If your PlasmaCam is either the DHC2 or the Samson models, then you need the 220719 ohmic retaing cap....your PlasmaCam will have a wire that attaches to the tab on this cap....it is used for ohmic contact sensing to find the surface of the plate before each cut cycle. This is one of the best features on the newer plasma cam machies as it improves cut quality, makes the machine easier to operate, and dramatically increases plasma consumable life.

If your plasmacam is not one of the models listed above...then the standard 220713 retaining cap is all you need. You can use either cap even if you don't have the DHC2 or Samson models...there just will not be a wire to connect on the cap.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
vickiegib1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by vickiegib1 »

thank you
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Jim,
What can we use on our PowerMax 30 machines with the hand-held torch, for an ohmic sensor? My little copper wire and clamp is getting to be a PITA to adjust every time I change tips?

Have I been missing something all this time?

Thx,
Dano
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm does not produce an ohmic cap for the Powermax30 as the product was never intended for machine use! There is only a hand torch available....and the duty cycle rating does not meet our criteria for mechanized cutting. That being said, there are many Powermax30 systems being used on cnc machines. My suggest for ohmic contact is to simply clamp a stiff wire on the retaining cap with a hose clamp, extend it about .010" past the nozzle (tip), and put a quick connect terminal on the upper end to attach your ohmic wire....and that should work fine. I wish I had a better answer for you.....but I have not convinced the product manager that this enhancement is necessary....as we sell about 100 systems that are used for hand cutting for every 1 that is used for machine cutting.

Best regards, Jim colt
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Thanks, Jim.

Someone posted a dxf for a sensor and I've got it saved away - somewhere.
But it looked like it would be mounted like a washer between the cap and the torch handle. That would ground the sensor, and extend the retainer. Didn't think that was gonna work, so I didn't pursue the idea.

I'm using the hose clamp method with a piece of heavy copper wire. That's another way to get some green flame, if it gets bent from touching material. 8-)
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”