cut conditions??

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

cut conditions??

Post by rock4xfab »

I think I have read darn near every post here over the past 2weeks.. And from what I see there are alot of Hypertherm users.. I myself have a TD cutmaster 51.. I have read the booklets I have set up my machine and run test cutting circles in 14 gauge. I have written down the conditions on each pc cut and still am not real happy with what I have seen. Is there a place the people have logged there cut conditions.. machine/material I had a bunch of 14gauge laying around cutting 6" circles. Not being in the shop these numbers are from the hip

speed 85-160 IPM
Arc voltage 90
pierce height .190
cut height .130
pierce delay 1.6
40 amp consumables
machine set on 40 amps

I have off yesterday installed a Hankison air dryer directly on the table hooked to the plasma cutter.

Some of the circles have had a nice square edge on one side and a nasty kerf on the opposite. I have checked my table squareness and it is with in .0200 I double checked motor tuning on both X and slave (match)
Only thing I found was my mechanical torch has drag torch tip in it without a shield and the ARC ok sensitivity is too high.. My torch will remain on even when off the plate way too far. need to adjust

so with all that said do you have a TD cutmaster what are you cut conditions??

Mt table
persicion plasma 3x4 with upgraded ball screw on z
CandCNC bladerunner dragon cut 5
water table
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: cut conditions??

Post by Dennis »

You should be slowing down your travel speed to cut the circles.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Whenever you see a change in angularity around the perimeter of the cut....then look for the following.....some are obvious:

1. Torch squareness to plate.
2. Damaged nozzle (tip) orifice. Inspect the exit side of the nozzle orifice with a magnifier (I use a jewelers eye loupe, 10x magnification) and look for any sign of out of roundness. A small nick or a crater will cause cut angle variation....damage on the front of the nozzleis usually caused by piercing too close to the plate. One bad pierce will ruin a nozzle.
3. Incorrect consumable parts combination in the torch. Use the lowest power for the material you are cutting, and match up all of the components in the torch to what your manufacturer recommends.
4. Height control variation while cutting. A plasma torch needs to pierc at pierce height, then cut at cut height. The height should stay within about .010" of the recommended height (torch manufacturer recommendation for the material, thickness and power you are cutting at) during the cut. Higher height = more bevel.
5. Speed changes....are you sure the machine is at cut speed? If the acceleration of the machine is very sluggish...expect cut angularity changes.
6. Air flow restriction or leak....somewhere in the plasma system (bad oring, pinched hose, loose fitting) can cause changes in cut quality.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

jimcolt wrote:Whenever you see a change in angularity around the perimeter of the cut....then look for the following.....some are obvious:

1. Torch squareness to plate. I did look at this with my digital meter and it is.
2. Damaged nozzle (tip) orifice. Inspect the exit side of the nozzle orifice with a magnifier (I use a jewelers eye loupe, 10x magnification) and look for any sign of out of roundness. A small nick or a crater will cause cut angle variation....damage on the front of the nozzleis usually caused by piercing too close to the plate. One bad pierce will ruin a nozzle. I think this may have been the issue, DTHC went goofy and the tip contacted the pate once . But I dont recall before or after I had changed this tip
3. Incorrect consumable parts combination in the torch. Use the lowest power for the material you are cutting, and match up all of the components in the torch to what your manufacturer recommends. I was using the power settings based out of the TD Booklet... My tip was an 9-8207 drag tip.. and should have been an 9-8208. MY question is about the part number 9-8245 shield cup What does it due( for)??
4. Height control variation while cutting. A plasma torch needs to pierc at pierce height, then cut at cut height. The height should stay within about .010" of the recommended height (torch manufacturer recommendation for the material, thickness and power you are cutting at) during the cut. Higher height = more bevel. During the cuts it appeared the DTHC was doing its job in maintaining the .190 pierce and .130 cut
5. Speed changes....are you sure the machine is at cut speed? If the acceleration of the machine is very sluggish...expect cut angularity changes. Motors are tuned and I can hold position within .0005 over 35.5" not sure about the acceleration It appears to be smooth
6. Air flow restriction or leak....somewhere in the plasma system (bad oring, pinched hose, loose fitting) can cause changes in cut quality. No air flow issue other then Maybe moisture witch I know is a tip killer.. ( hence the new air dryer)

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Thanks for the info Jim... I have said it before If I new the tech support was so lacking from TD.. I would have bought the Hypertherm just based on your technical knowledge and sharing on the forums.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”