Help with air dryer

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
elkriverfab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Help with air dryer

Post by elkriverfab »

Hey everybody,

I am wanting to build an air dryer from a small dorm size refrigerator.

I looked through some of the older post for some info but could not find what I was looking for.

My question is this.........

I want to use some copper tubing inside the refrigerator to condense the moisture, collect in a trap and drain .

I looked at some of the older posts and saw where someone used PVC.

I am going to use copper in the same configuration but I am having a hard time finding 1/4 inch flair fittings to adapt the male air connections to the copper tube.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this? I have looked at Home Depot, Northern tool, And Lowe's.

I just need to find out how to adapt the correct fittings on the air inlet and outlet side.

They seem to have every other size but not the size for the air quick disconnects.

This seems like an easy task to do but I am just trying to find the correct fittings.

I may have to go larger on the disconnects?

If anyone has ever tried this before, I would appreciate some input.

I really need to get this moisture out of my lines.

Thanks.
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help with air dryer

Post by plain ol Bill »

How much is your time worth? Unless you really just want to build your own rather than buy one I reccomend the Harbor Freight dryer. I have one, it works well, no regrets and would do it again.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
planetxfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by planetxfred »

Hi,
I just finished building just what you described.
I bought a small (1.7 cu ft) refrigerator at Menards for $72 and 40 feet of copper tubing (3/8 OD 1/4" ID), coiled the copper as small as I could to fit in the top half of the fridge. - Think about the interference with the fridge door before starting to bend! cut two slots in the door gasket between the hinges. Put a gob of silicone RTV to hold it all in place, fed the outlet of the compressor to the top copper tube used compression fittings to go from 1/4 pipe to 3/8 OD copper. Fed the outlet of the copper tubing from the fridge to a water trap/ collector. Make sure the copper tubing is coiled to flow downhill to the outlet from the fridge. All parts clamped in place.set the fridge to about 35 degrees F.
When cutting (using air), the outlet copper tube is quite chilly. I have a secondary water collector at the air inlet to my Hypertherm 1000.
After a fairly long cut (250 inches or so.) the copper tube is still quite chilly, and water has collected in the trap. I have NOT gotten even one drop of water in the secondary collector.
AS a bonus, there is room for a half dozen bottles of water (or beer) to help as thermal ballast to help keep things cold.
Total cost was about US$100 and a couple of hours time. And I have a supply of cold water to quench my thirst.
Best regards,
Fred
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

Fred,

Thanks for the info.

I just finished building the dryer.

I used 1/2 inch steel pipe instead of copper tubing.

Zigzaged as much as I could put in the fridge.

I installed a large water collection pipe with a drain.

I used steel pipe because I kept finding posts on the web saying the copper tube would split * or there was a good chance *

So I used pipe.

I also am running a a paper cartridge filter and a small water collector at the compressor and plasma cutter.

I figured since I had the fridge just setting in the shop, I would try it.

It took a couple of hours and looks pretty good.

The humidity is so bad here, I had to do something to save my cutter, consumables and cut quality.

Will try it tomorrow!

Thanks again.
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

I am the one that posted the dryer using pvc. The only reason I used pvc is that is what I had and it was super quick and easy to do. I have had no problems with moisture at all since installing it. Even on the most humid days!!! Yeah, after sandblasting for a while (maybe an hr or more) the pvc loses some of its coolness but still seems to work ok. I think the metal piping is a much better idea and may swap the pvc out for metal someday but for now, if it aint broke dont fix it, lol. I have heard people having good luck with the harbor frieght models but I didnt want another energy sucking appliance running in my shop, I already run the fridge to cool the brews, so....... thats why I chose the homebrew route. Not to mention it is very rewarding and fun making your own tools that work!!! Espeicaly something this easy to do. I think I have about 2 hrs into the whole project from conception to completed dryer. When I thought about the dryer it was one of those eureka moments and I immediately had to build it to find out if it worked, and of course it works great!

I'm happy to see that other people have seen my project and built there own (probably better) version!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

Jim,

Your idea was what got my wheels turning.

To tell you the truth, I started with PVC but changed it after all the fitting and gluing.

Your pictures got me thinking about six months ago and it was time to just do it.

I ran the cutter for about two hours today at about 75% humidity.

No moisture in the lines.

Also did some painting for another couple of hours with no moisture either.

It was nice to build something that functions like it should without spending an arm and a leg.

As far as harbor freight, I do get stuff from there at times but only after a lot of thinking and looking for alternatives.

Everybody knows they are a gamble.

I did pick up a 30 inch bending brake there a couple of days ago (for bending pepper roasters and small stuff).

After looking at it and finding out I could weld it or repair if it ever fell out into the **harbor** I gave it a chance, good buy.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your home brew air dryer, it inspired me.

If anyone else was thinking of doing it, it does work.

Thanks Jim!
noplacetosail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by noplacetosail »

Why not just place a couple of these inline inside the refrig, with a small dryer just outside the exit, wouldnt that solve a lot of issues and be VERY simple?

http://www.airhoseshop.com/site/932654/page/550731
Last edited by noplacetosail on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hey Jim and Shawn:
Rod hear I have one of those small under counter fridges that could be turned into a dryer. I didn't see the post of your fridge air dryers and sure would like to see them if you don't mind posting them again. I was out on the web and found a home made metal brake made out of 4"C channel and 2" angle iron that will bend light metal. Theres is no fingers on it but from what I saw it is very simple to build. I took the drawing and redrew it using the material that I had laying around the yard. I will send you the link and the drawing if you want it just let me know. I still have not forgotten about the bumper hoist just been very busy with all the crap that keep popping up, it seems like that it just will not end. Between all the health issues and the house things braking it's a never ending surprise what will happen next. HaHa :o :lol: I have to keep a good frame of mind because the END of this year is almost over and then we can start a New Year with a new sets of challenges to over come. :lol: Sorry for the book.

Eagle Mountain Design & Decor
If it's Worth Doing Do it Well
Rod S in AZ
Rod S in AZ
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

Rod,

Tomorrow I will post a photo of the fridge.
It was very simple and works great.

I used threaded steel water pipe with threaded elbows.
I cut two holes on the right side (looking at the door).

The air goes into the top, out the bottom and water collects in the drop tube.

I used an air drain valve for an air compressor for the water drain valve.

Use as many pipe zig zags that will fit in the fridge.

Hope this helps.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”