Fastcut CNC

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
logger
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Fastcut CNC

Post by logger »

Hello, bought a fastcut cnc with a hypotherm 1650. Having a problem mabye someone can help me out with. I can change mt pierce height on the control but when I piecre any higher than 1/16" the torch will not fire and I get a error failure to establish arc.

So if I am cutting thin guage and pierce at 1/16" everything works fine. But if I go to say .5"thk material and want to pierce .25" above the material the torch will not turn on and I get the failure to establish arc error.

Any I deas?
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Fastcut CNC

Post by Gamelord »

Why do you want to pierce that high? You should be following the cut charts for the Hypertherm and pierce at the proper height. This will not only pierce better, but it will save your consumables and minimize dross. Piercing that high .25 will just destroy your consumables.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Gamelord at 100 amps plus you are piercing at .250 +. Are you sure you have the correct consumables in and is your work clamp not getting through to the material?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

You are not being clear. Is the torch actually firing (when the pierce height is at .250"), but not transferring to the plate? (there will be a bright pilot arc at the torch momentarily, then it will extinguish).

If no pilot arc at the torch....is air flowing at the torch when this occurs?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
logger
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by logger »

Jim, the torch is not firing and there is no air coming thru at .25". There is a 8 sec delay then I get a fault that says "Failure to establish arc" Now if I set the pierce height to 1/16" it will cut fine but screw up the tip because I am piercing too low. So I can not get it to pierce any higher than 1/16" what the heck?

GAMELORD what pierce height and setting would use to go thru .5"thk plate @100amps?
logger
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by logger »

Anyone? Ideas???
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

It think that unit uses blow back arc start and should fire in the air. The torch has a "start cartridge" (that turns on the air locally rather than back at the plasma unit. It may be that that cartridge needs replacement.

Sorry I don't know much about the actual firing methods of the TD units .I know how to interface to a CNC control but that is not the kind of help you need. I do know that they cut at a lot higher arc gap and typically lower volts than the Hypertherm. You might give TD tech support a call. If you can't fire it manually at the TORCH ON input then its something in the torch

Where did you buy the 101 ?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Tom.....he is talking about a Powermax1650, Hypertherm.

If there is no airflow at the plasma cutter....that means it cannot start. In most cases it means that the plasma is not receiving a start input (if using a machine torch...the output from the CNC must connect pins 3 and 4 on the CPC interface plug on the rear panel of the 1650.

The big question: Why does it fire at a closer distance, but not at .250" height? I would disconnect the interface cable from the CNC and short pins 3 and 4 on the plasma receptacle of the cnc ....with the torch at .250 height. The torch should fire and postflow should stay on for about 30 seconds after you remove the short. If it fires with manually shorting the start input pins...assume the plasma is ok....and you will need to determine why the cnc/height control is not allowing a start input at a higher pierce height. The plasma torch does not care where it is....it is waiting for a start signal. Jim Colt Hypertherm
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

oops...reading too many posts. Saw a TD 101 mentioned somewhere...
as Rosanne Rosannadana said: "never mind...."
logger
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by logger »

Plasma seems to be ok when shorting the pins still will not fire though when you set peirce height to .25"....wtf

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”