STUD WELDER HELP

All topics related to mig welding, tig welding, spot welders, flame cutting, etc.
saltydog
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

STUD WELDER HELP

Post by saltydog »

Seem to be getting alot more multiple layer stuff.... been using 3m tape with success but the standoff look is much better. Seems that a CD stud welder is the way to go. Any suggestions on make & model???? If it will do 1/4" studs,, more that enough.

Salty Dog
SlagBandit
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: STUD WELDER HELP

Post by SlagBandit »

Not sure about everyone else but I use 1/4" bolts welded to the back of my parts with a alignment hole for the back section. I looked into "actual" sign standoffs and they wanted $2 a piece! Well to hell with that! $1.89 lb for a bag of 1/4" bolts. Just what I do. To each his own!
Torchmate 4x4 Growth Series
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Torchmate 1 5x10
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller 225 MIG
Miller 210 Syncrowave TIG
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

SlagBandit wrote:Not sure about everyone else but I use 1/4" bolts welded to the back of my parts with a alignment hole for the back section. I looked into "actual" sign standoffs and they wanted $2 a piece! Well to hell with that! $1.89 lb for a bag of 1/4" bolts. Just what I do. To each his own!
Hey SlagBandit, any photos to how you do yours?
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

You're right in wanting a CD or capacitor discharge for our lighter type work, weld mark shouldn't show through on anything from about 1.0mm material. A good system is good for mild steel, aluminium, copper and stainless. Drawn arc is really for heavier material.

Not sure if they are available over there but probably one of the most widely used ones I've come across here is the KCD Stud Welder. There are also a few Chinese ones around but the ones I've seen don't come close in performance.

A bit of info on CD http://www.kcdstudwelding.com.au/Capacitor_Discharge
Murray
bripoe
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bripoe »

I tried the stud welder and it did not work for me very well. So, I also use 1/4 x 1 1/2 bolts. I put both layers together, drill a 1/4" hole through both layers. Put the bolt through the bottom layer, enlarge the hole in the top layer to 5/16. Then, weld the top of the bolt to the top layer through the hole (rosette weld). Attached at a couple of examples, I will get pictures of the actual bolts and welds later this week.

Hope this helps.

Brian

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

SlagBandit

Post by SlagBandit »

little blue choo wrote:
SlagBandit wrote:Not sure about everyone else but I use 1/4" bolts welded to the back of my parts with a alignment hole for the back section. I looked into "actual" sign standoffs and they wanted $2 a piece! Well to hell with that! $1.89 lb for a bag of 1/4" bolts. Just what I do. To each his own!
Here are some pictures of a simple sign I did for my son. The pictures are pretty self explanatory. You can do the same thing with multiple layered signs you just have think things through a little more. I just cut the holes for the bolts when I cut the piece. I just make sure everything lines up in CAD first. The benefit of doing it this way is you can take them apart and repaint if you don't like the colors or from age.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Hypertherm Powermax 45
Torchmate 1 5x10
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller 225 MIG
SlagBandit

Post by SlagBandit »

saltydog wrote:Seem to be getting alot more multiple layer stuff.... been using 3m tape with success but the standoff look is much better. Seems that a CD stud welder is the way to go. Any suggestions on make & model???? If it will do 1/4" studs,, more that enough.

Salty Dog
You still looking at stud Welders?
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Torchmate 1 5x10
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller 225 MIG
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

SlagBandit wrote:
little blue choo wrote:
Here are some pictures of a simple sign I did for my son. The pictures are pretty self explanatory. You can do the same thing with multiple layered signs you just have think things through a little more. I just cut the holes for the bolts when I cut the piece. I just make sure everything lines up in CAD first. The benefit of doing it this way is you can take them apart and repaint if you don't like the colors or from age.
This seems like way more work than needed to get this look.
So the nuts on the back are to give it that floating off the wall look? How did you hang it on the wall?

So you line both pieces up, drill a hole through one piece, probably mark it with a marker then weld the bolt to it. Throw some nuts on the back then cut them all down. Any time I've tried anything close to this you really have to grind the crap out of the front piece to avoid seeing the haz and a little pimple of the weld from the other side.

All my layered stuff is small. The largest is maybe 12"x12" but my solution is super simple. No drilling holes or cutting or any of that fancy stuff.
Buy a lot of those small tiny rare earth magnets. I have some that are 1/16" thick. I could get thicker but I haven't had the need to yet. And simply use a dot of glue on the magnet to get it to stick to one piece. Then the magnets hold themself to the other piece. Pull apart and repaint if needed.

Some pieces I use 12 magnets and it's super strong and works well.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
SlagBandit

Post by SlagBandit »

Using magnets would work on smaller projects but on larger and outdoor stuff it wouldn't. As far as dimples in paint, I just turn the heat down on the MIG and move fast! I rattle can the smaller stuff and powder coat the larger outdoor stuff. It also depends on the steel you are using. If it has a mill scale or if its cold rolled makes a big difference on standoffs showing through. I generally primer all rattle can stuff so that helps cover up blemishes.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Torchmate 1 5x10
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller 225 MIG
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

SlagBandit wrote:Using magnets would work on smaller projects but on larger and outdoor stuff it wouldn't. As far as dimples in paint, I just turn the heat down on the MIG and move fast! I rattle can the smaller stuff and powder coat the larger outdoor stuff. It also depends on the steel you are using. If it has a mill scale or if its cold rolled makes a big difference on standoffs showing through. I generally primer all rattle can stuff so that helps cover up blemishes.
So you are saying if it's got mill scale it will show through the front easier?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
saltydog
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by saltydog »

YES..still looking.... so far the GRIZZLY CD welder is our choice. Just need to save up the $$$$$
SlagBandit

Post by SlagBandit »

gamble wrote:
SlagBandit wrote:Using magnets would work on smaller projects but on larger and outdoor stuff it wouldn't. As far as dimples in paint, I just turn the heat down on the MIG and move fast! I rattle can the smaller stuff and powder coat the larger outdoor stuff. It also depends on the steel you are using. If it has a mill scale or if its cold rolled makes a big difference on standoffs showing through. I generally primer all rattle can stuff so that helps cover up blemishes.
So you are saying if it's got mill scale it will show through the front easier?
Yes! Cold rolled tends to clean up with a grinder a bit smoother. Just my experience.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Torchmate 1 5x10
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller 225 MIG

Return to “Mig Welders, Tig Welders, Spot Welders”