DXF's & Inkscape ???

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

DXF's & Inkscape ???

Post by exapprentice »

I have tried and tried but as yet no success in being able to open any yes any DXF files in Inkscape, I do have questions though!
I can open the dxf files in various cad programs: solid edge, draftsite etc etc and I can save them in a multitude of different DXF formats
but so far I still cannot open any of them in inkscape.
tried opening, tried importing all I seem to get is a blank background
The version of Inkscape I am using is 0.48
what version of DXF is best to use in Inkscape maybe if someone can confirm this it might help me focus on what else could be wrong with settings etc.
as everything it should be so simple and I am probably trying to hard and cannot see the wood for the trees???

Any help guidance suggestions pointers will be very much appriciated

Thank you and regards
exapprentice :oops:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: DXF's & Inkscape ???

Post by urbnsr »

I'm also using Inkscape 0.48. It's on a Linux box, mostly. This version saves DXF's in v.14, so I wouldn't expect it to know about some features in higher versions. I'm only assuming on that. I do have better results overall with Inkscape and Linux. I also use Inkscape with Windows when I have to and I don't have as good of results from the Windows box.

With that said, I very rarely load DXF's in Inkscape, so I can't help there too much. I usually use Inkscape to trace an image and probably manipulate some nodes. If I need to do more precision work after that, I save to DXF and finish in QCad before going to SheetCam.

I bet there are others that do it differently. So, YMMV

HTH
Paul
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

What I have found is that if does open DXF files but they are off the screen, Try opening one then hit the - key many times it may show the drawing way up in the corner. just place a box around it and drag it to the center and re-size it.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi acourtjester & urbnsr

Thanks for the responses again.

acourtjester
please can you confirm which key I must "hit" many times :?:
I have whacked quite a few things trying to sort this so "hitting" a key many times is no problem :lol:
looking forward to your reply as always
Any help guidance suggestions pointers will be very much appriciated (now and in the future) :oops:

best regards to all that read this
exapprentice
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Here's what I do... it's an extra step, but very effective.

I use QCad to open and then convert all of my dxf files. it's a mostly Free CAD program that instantly converts .dxf's into .svg files very cleanly just by hitting the .svg symbol on a open .dxf file. the upgrades to the base free program are for CAM purposes, which I went ahead a bought for a nominal fee, but the conversion feature is free even on the base version.
qcad.JPG
qcad.JPG (27.02 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Whatever you do... do NOT hit the first button at the top of this page here. It's a sneaky banner advertisement to a nefarious download

Go down to the middle of the page for the correct links to download.

QCad Download Page
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The key am talking about this the negative key on the number pad this will zoom out and show on the screen as a larger field of view. What I found is some drawings are not centered and may be way out to the top and left (other directions too). But if they are zooming out will show them and you can move them back to the center (zero X and zero Y positions) and then use the plus key to zoom back in.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I am having the same problem exapprentice. I just tried the minus key trick and it didn't work for me. Hope it works for you. I will be watching for more ideas.
Thanks
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Be sure to check the scale when importing a .dxf file into Inkscape. Inkscape will assume that the drawing is metric, you may need to scale the import by 25.4 to convert mm to inches. Also always use R14 or older .dxf formats if possible. Autodesk adds to the .dxf format almost every release and third parties have to guess how to deal with the extensions. I always save my AutoCAD work in a release 12 (R12) .dxf format for importing into Inkscape. Once into Inkscape always keep files in .svg format, Sheetcam uses this the best.

John
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

I wish i could say version 0.91 works so much better! :roll:
I have found thing's quite a few time's off the screen as acourtjester mentioned.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Hi Steel 35 I too am using .91. Are you able to open DXF files? I have found things off screen before but can't find DXF files anywhere.
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

for the minus key not working do you have the NumLock on This is a function of the PC's bios so the NumLock light is on at boot up.
Or under the View tab you will find a Zoom tab to enlarge an image. Also in the document properties under default units you can change to inch and the drawing will the sized in inch and you can scale it before saving.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

If you were referring to me acourtjester my button works just didn't reveal file. I'll figure it out sooner or later.
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It works sometimes and sometimes not, that could be the format the file was saved in. When it worked for me with some files that I think were drawn away from X and Y zero and the is why looking for the image in a larger field worked and I could find the images.
When I did find the image is was small and I had to high light it and move it to the center and them zoom in and re-size it.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

little blue choo wrote:Hi Steel 35 I too am using .91. Are you able to open DXF files? I have found things off screen before but can't find DXF files anywhere.
My overall ratio I would say is lower then solid edge, I have opened in solid edge; saved as DXF then opened in Inkscape and it works :?: If so its not saved dxf again.

I have opened and cut some things using sheetcam when I could not find any other way but it does make it hard to change things.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Somewhat of a re-boot to this subject but I had zero luck converting something that Jim Davis contributed and it's starting to bother me that I can't work with many of the files that others share here.

Why is it that all of the DXF files have so many more nodes and what is the deal with them almost never being connected?

With a Scalable Vector Graphics, every continuous line, as it's seen in the drawing is connected, with nodes serving as adjustments points to the entire shape.

With DXF drawings, a shape with nodes is really a bunch of separated lines arranged end to end that aren't really connected.

Is there any way to simply convert an entire drawing so that ALL of these lines are instantly tied together? I know that you can select nodes from elements within the drawing and conect the nodes, but in most cases this is way too tiresome at best and at worse, you lose the original shape contours.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Capstone wrote:Somewhat of a re-boot to this subject but I had zero luck converting something that Jim Davis contributed and it's starting to bother me that I can't work with many of the files that others share here.

Why is it that all of the DXF files have so many more nodes and what is the deal with them almost never being connected?

With a Scalable Vector Graphics, every continuous line, as it's seen in the drawing is connected, with nodes serving as adjustments points to the entire shape.

With DXF drawings, a shape with nodes is really a bunch of separated lines arranged end to end that aren't really connected.

Is there any way to simply convert an entire drawing so that ALL of these lines are instantly tied together? I know that you can select nodes from elements within the drawing and conect the nodes, but in most cases this is way too tiresome at best and at worse, you lose the original shape contours.
A few days ago I started a similar files cut without spending enough time checking it :o
I have a 1050 Pierce file down to 450 and still cleaning that comes to mind :shock: Days; yes days of it. :x
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Capstone wrote:Somewhat of a re-boot to this subject but I had zero luck converting something that Jim Davis contributed and it's starting to bother me that I can't work with many of the files that others share here.

I to am having issues with this SVG to DXF conversion "http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=18069" and am still searching for an answer. I create a 3D model in Solidworks to get the parts to fit together then save all the 3D parts to 2D DXF files then import to Inkscape with the results being the disconnected segments. I will review the QCAD package mentioned above.
Last edited by Bigdogbro1 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Capstone wrote:Here's what I do... it's an extra step, but very effective.

I use QCad to open and then convert all of my dxf files. it's a mostly Free CAD program that instantly converts .dxf's into .svg files very cleanly just by hitting the .svg symbol on a open .dxf file. the upgrades to the base free program are for CAM purposes, which I went ahead a bought for a nominal fee, but the conversion feature is free even on the base version.
qcad.JPG
Whatever you do... do NOT hit the first button at the top of this page here. It's a sneaky banner advertisement to a nefarious download

Go down to the middle of the page for the correct links to download.

QCad Download Page
After visiting the QCAD site I read that the convert to SVG file is only available in QCAD professional and not the BASE v3.11.3 free version.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Bigdogbro is correct. I think it cost $33 euros. Sorry if I mislead anyone. It's been worth it to me for as many dxf's that I have had to convert.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Well I downloaded QCAD v3.12.5 from QCAD.
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-downloads-trial

Before You Download...

The packages on this page contain the free, open source QCAD software which you can use free of charge for any purpose.

The packages are bundled with free trial versions of the QCAD Pro add-on and the QCAD/CAM add-on. The trial versions of these add-ons are not intended for production use but give you a chance to try before you buy.

The QCAD Pro and QCAD/CAM add-ons terminate after 15 minutes. To continue to try these add-ons, you need to restart QCAD after this.
To uninstall a trial add-on, click on the button with an 'X' beside the add-on in the 'Trial' window.
To use the QCAD community edition without any proprietary add-ons, simply uninstall all trial add-ons.

You can order QCAD Professional or QCAD/CAM from our Online Shop and download the full version immediately. QCAD 3.12.5
I have had a small amount of luck in doing a DXF to SVG full conversion. I have been able to get it to connect most node segments but it leaves overlapping nodes when it does the connect. When you delete the one overlapping node it will somewhat change the contour as well.

I have also tried PDF Creator version 1_7_3 _setup.exe ONLY, anything newer won't have the TO SVG FILE conversion in it. For my MS Windows 7.
http://download.pdfforge.org/download/pdfcreator/list
If you download this program make sure you go into the download install box and click the OPTIONS and UNCHECK all the CRAP added toolbar load-ins.

Other possibilities are:
This will need a computer programmer to compile and get this in a loadable state - don't know if it works either.
http://sourceforge.net/p/dxf-svg-conver ... attachment
http://sourceforge.net/p/dxf-svg-convert/patches/1/

Or
Very PDF ---- http://www.verypdf.com/dwg-to-vector/dx ... erter.html

Anyone else have any insight to this DXF to SVG conversion?
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Another re-boot :D

Just to see if anything new has come along or if anybody has found that sure fire way or any way :roll: of getting DXF's into Inkscape reliably :?

no great problem as with most things there is a work around but it would be really nice to be able to simply get an existing DXF file straight into Inkscape to work on and make changes before saving said "DXF" into an much more user friendly "SVG"

For me the problem only really comes up when I try mixing Engineering with Art :lol:
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have tried a few tricks to make some of the posted files usable when do not directly open in Inkscape. I have the free version of QCad and sometime I have opens a posted DXF there and then saved is using QCad and give is a different name (add an A at the end of the name). By just saving it I think the format stays the same. By changing the name it saves it using their (DXF format) format. I have use different tricks that sometime work and other time things just will not. It depends on the software these were saved with, some of the post have lead-ins and I remove then using Inkscape (node edit) as SheetCam will put them back in when I plan cut there. Not sure if there is a sure fire way as so many software packages are written by different companies even DXF format seems to be different too.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Dirty little secret: DXF is a moving target with as many versions as there have been releases of AutoCAD over the years. You have two sides of the issue ....the export (save as) side that may be using one version of the format and the Import that has to try an read what it can and ignore other stuff. This is what happens when a format is not documented and open standard. DXF was first used to get CAD drawings out of AutoCAD to other programs but the native format in AutoCAD is DWG. Its an okay way to move files into a CAM for processing. It becomes more problematic when you have artwork built in some program besides AutoCAD and usings its Export filter then trying to read it with another non-AutoCAD application with its Import filter. Sorta like running an English to Chinese manual though Google Translate then back again from the Chinese to French. Some things just don't come across. There is no guarantee that a program that will import a DXF will turn around and export it properly.

Most drawing programs designed for illustration and that use clipart will import and export in a wide variety of formats but not always the CAD formats like DWG and DXF.

Here are some formats that are "Standards" and very structured and seldom change:
EPS (encapsulated PostScript - Adobe)
AI (Adobe Illustrator)
PDF (another Adobe format but standard)
SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) open format originally designed for the display of vector files on the WEB.
WMF (rather lame format for Windows)
EMF (enhanced Metafile (Better WMF)

There are others plus dozens of bitmap and video formats.
karensmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by karensmc »

I just found this thread..I'm having the EXACT same problem!!! Has a definitive answer been found? I'm a total novice..
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by thatboystevo »

I have found that the dxf that do open have very thin line width and can barely be seen. I go to view display mode and select outline and it will show up. Might not be the case for some of you but it's definitely helped me opens dxf files that I thought were blank

Return to “Inkscape”