Plasma cam computer?

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
thomsen
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Plasma cam computer?

Post by thomsen »

I am fixing to purchase a plasma cam table and when I went to buy a computer this weekend I found it impossible to find one with a parallel port. Everything is USB now. Can anyone help me out with this problem?
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Plasma cam computer?

Post by AnotherDano »

+1 with Leatherhands.

And while the techs have the cover off, choke that mutha (board) with as much memory as it will take.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
thomsen
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by thomsen »

Thanks, I figured I would have to have one built but was not sure on what kind of mother board. And will def. go with a lot of memory. What size hard drive should I use ? And should I put a video graphix card in? And just a question on why they don't go to a usb instead of the parallel port for hook up? I ran into that problem on my vinyl plotter/cutter and it still gives me fits.

Thanks,
Shawn
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

You can use almost any old computer....I have used $50 used pentium computers on PlasmaCam machines....disable every other program, and just use the PlasmaCam software....it will work great. There are good deals on computers fro Tiger Direct on computers with paralell ports.....I just bought one a few months ago.

The key to best performance is to install the PlasmaCam, drive a ground rod right next to the machine and ground the frame of the machine directly to it with heavy gauge wire, connect your plasma work clamp to this central ground point as well. And use a Hypertherm plasma!

Jim Colt
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

And don't be in a hurry to get a cool display unit (screen).

I bought a flat panel with a wide screen and wish I'd saved a buck or three with a standard square one. The drawings get distorted. If I rotate a picture, it looks wider than it did before the rotation.

Nothing you can't get used to, but why bother.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
DumOleBob
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DumOleBob »

I've run a PlasmaCam for ten years - ALWAYS using an old, dedicated computer. My most recent is a Dell, XP I paid $50 for (which was still too much)! Do your drawing, editing, etc on a new computer if you must, but run your table off an old throw away! The PlasmaCam program isn't all that needy so a very basic PC will do just fine!

PlasmaCam needs to update, but till they do buy your box at the used computer store :P
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

.......... What Bob said.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
thomsen
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by thomsen »

Thanks for the help, have one more question...Found an old comp. I forgot had laying around. It is an old gateway running windows ME has a 20g hard drive running a pentium 2 and just 128mb of memory. Will this comp. work with the pentium 2 and only 128 memory?

Thanks in advance
elkriverfab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by elkriverfab »

I agree with everyone telling you to go used.

You will soon find out your computer will be going through waves of cutting dust and everything else a shop has in it.

I too am in Texas and my computer has been home to thousands of spiders, mice, pack rats, humidity and every other critter in the area.

I have built cabinets to seal it and the summer heat here has always forced me to open it up (today my metal building is at 110 degress).

If you go with an old monitor, do what ever you can to keep the cutting dust out.

I have a huge forced air dust collector under the table that blows the dust outside while cutting but it still finds it's way throughout the shop.

Go with an older computer and drive it like you stole it, you will sone find it to be a tool and one that will be replaced sooner or later.

Also!!!!!!!!!!!! BACK UP YOUR FILES EVERY DAY.

I have had my computers die from the shop environment.

I draw on a different computers indoors and flash drive everything to the cutting computer.

This will save your day in the event of a computer problem.

I am sure you already know all this but just in case, I will mention it.

Just my two cents! :D
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Just adding to ElkRiver's good advice; Backup daily.

But NOT on your computers harddrive!

I carry a thumb drive in my pocket. It has a copy of the days shop files and the 'office' (home) files.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

AnotherDano wrote:Just adding to ElkRiver's good advice; Backup daily.

But NOT on your computers harddrive!

I carry a thumb drive in my pocket. It has a copy of the days shop files and the 'office' (home) files.
That's for sure AnotherDano!

Last year I had a power surge in the shop from a storm. I could not unplug everything before it happened, fried the computers power supply.
Now I can't get into the files on that computer. Luckily I draw on another computer.

I use discs as well as a thumb drive.
Now I have all of these discs....... Gets crazy after a while. But it's better than a fried computer and lost work.

Oh yeah!!!! Dont cut during a lightning storm, that's another story :roll:
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

This is an old thread, but the new DELL Optiplex computers have an onboard parallel port.
You can get good add-on PCI parallel port cards from www.softio.com
Some laptops that do not have a built in parallel port may work with a Quatech PCMCIA parallel port card.

george
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hey Shawn ,Jim Where were you when I was ordering my Computer. I ordered a NEW Dell Optiplex so I could get the parallel port built in according to PC specifications. I did not have any idea that all this good INFO was out here. I spent over 1k and now I could use the cash for all those exspensive HT consumables. :lol: Now that my machine is finally :D :D running the right way, I konw that I will be changing tips for the different types of metal that I use. It would be nice to have two different machines, but I have to make this one pay for itself first. :lol: Thanks to the people that help me to get it running.
Rod S in AZ

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”