dxf to dstv or nc1

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

dxf to dstv or nc1

Post by mcmental »

hi there i have drawn up a sketch firstly in fusion and also freecad and saved them as a dxf and the file when used through sheetcam opens up fine on my plasma, now due to the steel project being 40mm thickness i am using a local business to cut it for me.
they have a new machine from italy and it is a steel projects unit, when i have sent them the dxf the circles i want cutting show on the screen but no dimensions or spacing and the software just says theres an error, they can also use dstv or nc1 files.
a friend of mine sent them a drawing from solidedge as a dxf and that was fine.
im confused as to what im doing wrong if anyone can help please?
thanks
chris
headgasket v4.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: dxf to dstv or nc1

Post by djreiswig »

It appears that dstv & nc1 files are machine code text files. I'm not sure how to go about creating them. I would think the local business would have a program to create the format they need.
I'm guessing that the dxf you created may be the wrong version. Could they possibly use an svg file? I don't know if you are able to produce that format or not.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mcmental »

im going to send them the svg, they only got their machine 3 weeks ago so are still getting used to it.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

mcmental wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:56 am hi there i have drawn up a sketch firstly in fusion and also freecad and saved them as a dxf and the file when used through sheetcam opens up fine on my plasma, now due to the steel project being 40mm thickness i am using a local business to cut it for me.
they have a new machine from italy and it is a steel projects unit, when i have sent them the dxf the circles i want cutting show on the screen but no dimensions or spacing and the software just says theres an error, they can also use dstv or nc1 files.
a friend of mine sent them a drawing from solidedge as a dxf and that was fine.
im confused as to what im doing wrong if anyone can help please?
thanks
chris headgasket v4.dxf
Perhaps this will help.
perhaps this will help.jpg

mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mcmental »

i have passed these on earlier, i was just confused why the sizes etc didnt show up, wondering if it was due to not having a rectangle round them all and a zero point.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Many cad programs, AutoCad and Bricscad included, treat the dimensions as text and as such they are not included when the drawing file is saved in dxf format. For Inkscape, text will not be included in the exported dxf file unless the text is processed by "Path, Object to Path" first.Text saved from Inkscape in svg format will appear when opened in other programs which support svg format.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

mcmental wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:28 am i have passed these on earlier, i was just confused why the sizes etc didnt show up, wondering if it was due to not having a rectangle round them all and a zero point.
Assuming you were using Fusion 360 to create your drawing, any dimensions you add will only be shown in while you are editing your sketch.
dimensions 1.jpg
Once you have exported your file as dxf - the dimensions will not show up as part of the dxf file, even though they still apply.
dimensions 2.jpg
On the other hand, if you add dimensions with CorelDraw
dimensions 3.jpg
and save as dxf - the dimensions will appear when saved dxf file is opened with another vector editor such as Design Edge.
dimensions 4.jpg
The problem is that these dimensions will be treated as vectors and the person doing the actual cutting would need to deselect them to keep from having them included as part of the cut paths.

Here is what may happen if the file is processed to cut all vector paths.
dimensions 5.jpg
And here is the result if the operator/programmer deselects the dimension lines and dimension text.
dimensions 6.jpg
So the best thing would be to leave your dimensions off of any dxf files you submit for cutting, unless perhaps you are planning on having some of them laser engraved - such as part marking, etc. You can print out copies for yourself with the dimensions showing for future reference. That is the way I do it.

David

mcmental
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mcmental »

Thanks David again for your help
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

mcmental wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:36 pm Thanks David again for your help
You are quite welcome! I hope you found some of this useful for your project.
David

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”