High School Teacher In Need

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
BackwoodsMetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

High School Teacher In Need

Post by BackwoodsMetal »

I have slowly been getting things figured out but still learning. I recently a local gym owner gave me his logo and wants a 4' x4' cut. It is a little out of my league. I could attach everything but not without butchering the overall image. I know there are several people here very talented in this area and would like some suggestions. What programs do you use, how you would get started, etc. If someone would be will to get me started I would be very appreciative.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

BackwoodsMetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: High School Teacher In Need

Post by BackwoodsMetal »

I would also be interested in any suggestions on learning materials that anyone knows of. I have watched several youtube videos, etc. Still looking for a good series of videos though. Not just random stuff, a logical progression from beginning student into harder topics.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

The first place to start is to ask your client for a higher resolution image of the logo if available and I am sure there is one because that one is too small for anything other than a website logo. Because this is a simple black on white logo this image could be easily auto traced however the size of the image is only 700px wide. Getting an accurate auto trace on such a small image will not yield good results. Get a larger image if you can and it save drawing it from scratch.

Alternatively it is possible that your client has had a vinyl decal made for the storefront or back of his truck. If a vinyl decal has been cut for this logo then the vector file you need to plasma cut this already exists. This is even better than my first suggestion above.

These are my 2 suggestions for a starting point. Knock those 2 off and then we know what direction to go.
BackwoodsMetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BackwoodsMetal »

gym logo.jpg
It is a chain of gyms that he has just recently joined. I had the same thoughts as you put he came up short and said it was the only one he had available. This is what I got from modifying but I know there must be a better way. I hear you on needing a better image.

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I think the resolution of your supplied image is fine for auto tracing and conversion to vector format. It will get you close and can be edited to clean it up after conversion. The big question is once converted, what will you do with it - from a design aspect. Do you want to do a layered piece with individual pieces and colors attached to a backer, or is it to be cut as a single part? If cutting as a single part, then it will need to be modified so that the centers of some of the letters don't fall out when cut. Same for the center portion - it will need bridges, etc. to keep it all intact. Here is your file as a straight conversion to dxf.

David
Combat Base Parabellum dxf image.jpg
Combat Base Parabellum.dxf

Last edited by adbuch on Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

What program are you using for editing your file? Inkscape or ? I also assume that perhaps you are looking for something resembling the last screen shot you posted. More specific information about your intended layout would be helpful.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a comparison of your original image file vs. the auto trace. I am looking at the letter "M" for an example. The auto traced letter is an almost exact duplicate of the original. So my feeling here is the resolution for your supplied artwork is fine.
David

Original vs. auto trace.jpg
Original vs. auto trace 1.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

BackwoodsMetal wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:12 am I would also be interested in any suggestions on learning materials that anyone knows of. I have watched several youtube videos, etc. Still looking for a good series of videos though. Not just random stuff, a logical progression from beginning student into harder topics.
My question is - what specific "learning materials" are you looking for? How to run a plasma table, how to use cad/cam software, how to design artwork, etc. And then which specific table, software, etc?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here are a few possibilities. The first two would be ready to cut. The third one is based off your sample attempt and will need the center artwork creatively bridged to the main piece to keep it from falling out. There would be more possibilities, particularly if you are open to creating a layered piece. That would be a main backer piece with some of the other pieces cut as individual parts, painted contrasting colors, and then attached to the backer.

One simple method to place your parts accurately would be to scribe the outline of your parts on the main backer piece using something like the EasyScriber installed into your torch in place of the consumables. You can learn more about the EasyScriber here.

https://plasmaspider.com/shop/easyscriber.html

I used a combination of Design Edge, Inkscape, and Paint.net for creating/editing the files shown below.

David
Combat Base version 1.jpg
Combat Base version 1 close-up of center artwork.jpg
Combat Base version 1 close-up of center artwork -1.jpg
Combat Base version 2.jpg
Combat Base version 3.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Nice work showing the different options for the same object, and how they look. :Like :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

I use Corel and the auto trace was similar but not quite as good as Davids results but in my opinion its just not a good result. Sure some elements are ok and the rest can be cleaned up but anything can be cleaned up with enough time invested. My point was to ask for a larger logo for a better trace result with little to no cleanup but you already thought of that. Looks like it's cleanup time!!
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:25 am I use Corel and the auto trace was similar but not quite as good as Davids results but in my opinion its just not a good result. Sure some elements are ok and the rest can be cleaned up but anything can be cleaned up with enough time invested. My point was to ask for a larger logo for a better trace result with little to no cleanup but you already thought of that. Looks like it's cleanup time!!
X2 On CorelDraw, Doug Green has a Y/T channel that covers the how too topics on all versions of it.

OP have you approached your art teacher for any input?
BackwoodsMetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BackwoodsMetal »

First thanks for all the support!! I run design edge mostly, I have learned things from using the program and trial/error. I have watched several youtube videos but haven't found anything that I loved. I am not familiar with auto trace. Is autotrace part of the conversion process when importing images? I am good on bridging and keeping lettering from falling apart. I get about 45 mins a day, in a semester long course, so I am trying become more efficient teaching students. I know I can improve with file conversion and also getting better teaching resources will move students as quickly as possible.

David thank you for the work, I like to see how others go about tackling projects. They look great!! I have messed around with inkscape some but I should revisit that I guess.

I will look into Doug Green on youtube.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

What I have found with software packages is because they are developed by different people and companies how they do things and what they call it can be very different. As see David does very well with Design Edge, and you have that it may be better to double down with it.
With many of the post here there is a wide range of software being used, some use a few to complete a project. Meaning some sections are easy with one package, and other sections are easier with another. Like manipulate the image with pme and trace another and mode work with another. But this may be better left until you are proficient with Design Edge. Have the big picture well understood before branching out. Another thing is is some students will catch on quicker so lean on the students for feedback to help.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:25 am I use Corel and the auto trace was similar but not quite as good as Davids results but in my opinion its just not a good result. Sure some elements are ok and the rest can be cleaned up but anything can be cleaned up with enough time invested. My point was to ask for a larger logo for a better trace result with little to no cleanup but you already thought of that. Looks like it's cleanup time!!
I personally see no problem whatsoever with the trace result as far as the main logo/letters. It matches the original provided by the OP almost perfectly. I think the result is fine, particularly for plasma cutting. My opinion is that the letters may have been purposely created with the look they have. As far as the center portion of the logo, some portions will require manual tracing - at least for the auto-trace I achieved using Inkscape.
David
gym logo center.jpg

Last edited by adbuch on Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

BackwoodsMetal wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:48 am First thanks for all the support!! I run design edge mostly, I have learned things from using the program and trial/error. I have watched several youtube videos but haven't found anything that I loved. I am not familiar with auto trace. Is autotrace part of the conversion process when importing images? I am good on bridging and keeping lettering from falling apart. I get about 45 mins a day, in a semester long course, so I am trying become more efficient teaching students. I know I can improve with file conversion and also getting better teaching resources will move students as quickly as possible.

David thank you for the work, I like to see how others go about tackling projects. They look great!! I have messed around with inkscape some but I should revisit that I guess.

I will look into Doug Green on youtube.
If you've got Design Edge with the Advanced Design upgrade, then you pretty much have the "Cadillac" of CAD programs for plasma cutting. I would most definitely recommend that you learn one CAD system first and learn it well. I wouldn't worry too much about revisiting Inkscape. If your time is limited, then focus on becoming proficient using Design Edge. I have found that I can accomplish things with Design Edge in minutes that would take me hours to do using Inkscape. I do like Inkscape for bitmap tracing, and that it my go-to program for performing that function. Design Edge will auto-trace as well, but I personally find it quicker to do using Inkscape, and I can sometimes achieve better results.

Since you already are using Design Edge and a Plasmacam table, then my suggestion is that you take a look at Robert Johnson's excellent Learn Plasmacam Youtube video series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQ5z9z2jhE
learn plasmacam 1.jpg
Robert also holds Plasmacam seminars (3 day workshops) 3 or 4 times a year at different locations around the country. I would highly recommend that you consider attending one.

https://www.facebook.com/learnplasmacam/

If you have not already done so, then join the Plasmacam Owner's Community Online Forum as well as the Plasmacam Facebook groups I have linked to below.

https://owners-community.com/index.php? ... 08d0339513

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PlasmaCAM.Tips

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1124877220943063
learn plasmacam 2.jpg
The Video Manual is also a great resource for learning Design Edge. You should already have it installed on the computer you are using Design Edge on. I have attached the printed version of the Video Manual below for your convenience.
PlasmaCAM Manual.pdf

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

BackwoodsMetal wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:48 am I am not familiar with auto trace. Is autotrace part of the conversion process when importing images? I am good on bridging and keeping lettering from falling apart.
Yes - auto tracing (vectorization) is the process of automatically converting an image (jpeg, bitmap, etc.) from "dot matrix" form to a purely vector form which is required for creating cut paths. I will get back later this evening and give you an explanation of how the Design Edge auto trace works.

Here is detailed explanation of bitmap vs. vector.

https://kb.iu.edu/d/afmr

David
Last edited by adbuch on Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the sequence for importing a jpeg image to Design Edge and converting to vector format using auto tracing. You will need to have the Advanced Design upgrade ($998) to enable this feature. If you don't already have Advanced Design, then I would expect the school will be more than happy to pay for it (assuming this Plasmacam table and software is owned by the school) as this upgrade will really enhance the students abilites with this software and table.
import jpeg 1.jpg

import jpeg 2.jpg
import jpeg 3.jpg
import jpeg 4.jpg
import jpeg 5.jpg
import jpeg 6.jpg
import jpeg 7.jpg
import jpeg 8.jpg

Last edited by adbuch on Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

As is typical with many files like this, not all the detail has been accurately traced. The settings for "Pixel Size of Defects to Fix" and "Edge Rounding" can be adjusted and the conversion process repeated in an attempt to improve the accuracy of the auto trace, but I find it much simpler and quicker to simply manually trace the defective details using the Bitmap image as a guide.
import jpeg 9.jpg
import jpeg 10.jpg
I have deleted the defects and manually traced over the original image. Yes - it would make life easier if the original artwork was super high resolution, but quite often this is just not the case. Of course if this was a paying job, the additional time to edit the file would be factored into the final cost to the customer.
import jpeg 11.jpg
There are other defective areas which can be treated in the same manner. Simply delete the defects and manually trace over the image.
I like to use the Bulge tool "Z" for much of my manual tracing. Very quick to do and can match the original image quite well.
import jpeg 12.jpg
import jpeg 13.jpg
I did not bother to edit out the defects in the conversions I showed previously - as these were provided simply to show some possibilities for creating the logo. I will provide the pcm files below. The OP can open these with Design Edge and use them as a learning tool for manual tracing. Be sure to let me know if you get stuck and I will try to help you.

David
Combat Base Version 1.pcm
Combat Base Version 2.pcm
Combat Base version 3.pcm

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way - for working with and editing these pcm files, it will be very useful to import the original artwork/image into Design Edge. Not as an auto-trace, but image only so that the existing drawing file can be superimposed over the original image for manual tracing. By the way, I've been using Design Edge for over 5 years now - so I didn't learn all of this "over-night". I would recommend watching Robert's basic Design Edge videos, and then lots of practice creating files, editing files, etc.
David

In this example, I opened the Combat Base Version 1 pcm file first, and then imported the logo center image. So both are visible at the same time.
import image 1.jpg
import image 2.jpg
import image 3.jpg
import image 4.jpg
import image 5.jpg
import image 6.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a good video discussing the pluses and minuses of auto-tracing using Inkscape (or Corel, Design Edge, etc.) Much of this would certainly apply to the auto-tracing of the images provided here by the OP.
David

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=33075&p=202768#p202768
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Well done David. That DesignEdge looks pretty sweet for tracing.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks! I haven't heard back from the OP yet, so I wonder how he is making out with his gym logo project. Yes - Design Edge makes it pretty easy for both auto and manual tracing, as well as editing drawings.
David
BackwoodsMetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BackwoodsMetal »

I have been off a few days. Appreciate the help, I have my students working on it. I will post something up after the holiday once they get things done.

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”