can anyone scan in parts?

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
tinbender
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

can anyone scan in parts?

Post by tinbender »

i would like to have some parts scanned in and the size adjusted to correct scale... they are paper patterns i made and they have so many different radius in them they would be a nightmare to draw... looking for some one to hire i can send them to and get exact dxf patterns... thanks to all in advance!!!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: can anyone scan in parts?

Post by acourtjester »

there are members that will do that for you search for paid drawing in the upper right corner search function.
There is a simple way to do that if you have a page scanner that you can scan each drawing or have as a drawn image file. You can use Inkscape to copy and size drawings. In Inkscape with the part on the screen click on it so it is highlighted as in the attached image. Next in the top tool line click on the small lock icon (arrow pointing to it) make the lock closed. Now in either the W or H box enter the dimension for the part in the X or Y direction you want to resize. With the lock closed Inkscape will correctly resize the whole part to the dimensions you want. Click on the Path drop down menu and click on "Object to path" This will convert your drawing to a path and then save it as a DXF or SVG and your done.
resize 2.JPG
resize.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

tinbender wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 am i would like to have some parts scanned in and the size adjusted to correct scale... they are paper patterns i made and they have so many different radius in them they would be a nightmare to draw... looking for some one to hire i can send them to and get exact dxf patterns... thanks to all in advance!!!
I've got some spare time. Show me what you want to do.

Joe
addmenow (at) mail (dot) com
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinbender wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 am i would like to have some parts scanned in and the size adjusted to correct scale... they are paper patterns i made and they have so many different radius in them they would be a nightmare to draw... looking for some one to hire i can send them to and get exact dxf patterns... thanks to all in advance!!!
I have the ability to auto-trace paper patterns using Scanything with a digital camera. This method can product very accurate results, and I can certainly scale them after scanning to the sizes you need.
Email me at desert.hybrids@cox.net or phone to discuss. I have sent you a PM as well.
Thanks,
David

PS - I can also scan in solid objects with very accurate results. I have the same setup as shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjKcyQaeus4
Business Card.jpg

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I used to use a machine that moved an acetylene torch along a black and white line exactly like that. Gosh, that was waaaaayyyy back in ... 1983, I believe! Maybe it was a little later. This is the same technology. It IS accurate, but programs like Inkscape and others can create a cut path quickly from a line drawing. When the drawing is "sloppy" I use DesignEdge (PlasmaCam's software) to trace the shape. It is quick and accurate, and even FUN!

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The OP is asking to trace/digitize paper patterns. This is not something Inkscape can do. He is not asking to create a cut path, but instead he wants to create vector files from paper patterns. Yes - this could be accomplished using a digitizing board as discussed in the threads referenced below, but the digitizing board method is much more time consuming than simply using an auto-tracer. In addition, the output from LogicTrace 2018 generally requires more post-editing than that from Scanything. This has been my personal experience and I use both methods depending on the specific circumstance.
David

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... 49#p200249
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

True, but a scanner can convert a drawing on a piece of paper into a .jpg image rather easily. Frankly, so can a smart phone these days. This of course assumes that the drawing is not a billboard. :HaHa The camera trace tool is great, but I do not believe it would work with the PlasmaCam software. The cnc table is driven through their own software, and thus, the software that runs your camera is probably fantastic for "normal" cnc machines. They can be driven by a myriad of software choices. This is one handicap with DesignEdge software. There are others :Sad

I am glad to see your setup though. I believe it used to be called the Opti-Tracer, and it looked like something that came off of a WWII battleship! Still, it was fascinating to watch it work. This was LONG before home PCs, and the Internet.

We once set up a job with some sheet metal and let it cut. The $%^&# machine started following a BUG that had landed on the paper, and the whole sheet was ruined before we caught the problem! :HaHa

I haven't experimented with a camera on the PlasmaCam table yet. My thought was to use a wireless camera with crosshairs, and plot points that way. But it would still require manual movement of the lens from point to point.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:29 pm there are members that will do that for you search for paid drawing in the upper right corner search function.
There is a simple way to do that if you have a page scanner that you can scan each drawing or have as a drawn image file. You can use Inkscape to copy and size drawings. In Inkscape with the part on the screen click on it so it is highlighted as in the attached image. Next in the top tool line click on the small lock icon (arrow pointing to it) make the lock closed. Now in either the W or H box enter the dimension for the part in the X or Y direction you want to resize. With the lock closed Inkscape will correctly resize the whole part to the dimensions you want. Click on the Path drop down menu and click on "Object to path" This will convert your drawing to a path and then save it as a DXF or SVG and your done.
resize 2.JPG
resize.JPG
This is a good idea for drawings that will fit on a scanner - normally 8 1/2 x 11 inches. For larger drawings - this approach could be problematic. One possibility would be to cut the paper patterns into smaller segments and scan individually, and then try to fit them back together after converting to dxf or svg. Also the scanned image will have lines with a certain width, so you will actually end up with two lines and will need to edit one out. But this can all be done. The beauty of the auto-tracer is that it will follow the outside (or inside) of a line so you only get a single line - unless you actually wanted both sides. I do my auto-tracing on an Avid pro4848 cnc router table set up for auto tracing, and can auto-trace patterns up to 48" x 48" in size.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:59 am The camera trace tool is great, but I do not believe it would work with the PlasmaCam software.
You are correct - it will not work with a Plasmacam table. I am using it on an Avid Pro 4848 cnc table running from Mach3. The Scanything software is only compatible with either Mach 3, Eding CNC, or LinuxCNC.
David

https://www.sheetcam.com/Scanything/index
scanything.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Questions are asked here to get answers, sometime the answer does not fit the original poster's circumstance. Looking for a vector drawing is the way to go as it can be scaled without a problem. The original post sounded like you had a complex drawing that was of a small size. David's suggestion would have worked well for something 4x4 or for a larger table. An indication of your size requirements in the original post would have helped. You may look toward a Billboard company who may have a larger printer capacity.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

This is how I have to do it, because my machine can't take advantage of that amazing camera tracer.

Joe

https://youtu.be/4AdFgUqnZxE
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

acourtjester wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:42 am Questions are asked here to get answers, sometime the answer does not fit the original poster's circumstance. Looking for a vector drawing is the way to go as it can be scaled without a problem. The original post sounded like you had a complex drawing that was of a small size. David's suggestion would have worked well for something 4x4 or for a larger table. An indication of your size requirements in the original post would have helped. You may look toward a Billboard company who may have a larger printer capacity.
I would like to see what the OP wants. He has not responded. Please understand that I do this mainly to benefit ME. I have memory issues, so ANY reason to get onto the PC and work with my software helps me to retain the knowledge of what it can do. So I look for reasons to go through the motions. This is also why I do free online training for DE. If I walk away from the software for six months, I will most likely FORGET 90% of what it can do. It is something I live with. :Sad

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

It sounds like he wants to send the physical drawings to someone in order for them to be scanned and turned into DXF files. I am guessing he doesn't have, or perhaps doesn't know how to USE a flatbed scanner, or he may not be computer savvy.

Of course, I always ask, "Where are you located?" If the OP is anywhere near me, I don't need much of an excuse for a ROAD TRIP! :mrgreen: Of course, if he is in some remote outpost like Seattle or Guam, then a personal visit is not practical.

Joe
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

I have taken a picture of a part a few times and use an app on my phone called Pixomatic to convert to a black and white. I make sure that my lens is centered over the part. I have been able to convert that part to a DXF file. I prefer Inkscape to convert. I have then put the DXF file into Advanced DesignEdge and scaled it up to the size that I needed. It probably is not exact, but was so close the times that I tried it that I was super happy. Pre CNC days I had to take field measurements and do a hand sketch and take back to the shop and hand cut…
Not sure if your part needs to be dead-nuts on, but I was pleased with this process on the parts that I tried it on….
Most things however can b drawn in a CAD program and can be draw super accurate. With a few years now under my belt with a CAD program that I have learned I much prefer this method (drawing it up from scratch) over tracing if at all possible
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:42 am Questions are asked here to get answers, sometime the answer does not fit the original poster's circumstance. Looking for a vector drawing is the way to go as it can be scaled without a problem. The original post sounded like you had a complex drawing that was of a small size. David's suggestion would have worked well for something 4x4 or for a larger table. An indication of your size requirements in the original post would have helped. You may look toward a Billboard company who may have a larger printer capacity.
Tom - I assumed that these might be larger than a sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 11) but since he did not tell us the sizes we were only speculating. For a pattern that will fit the desktop scanner, my method would be scan to jpeg, import to Inkscape and trace bitmap, then save as dxf and open with Design Edge to edit and scale. You could do all of this in Inkscape, but for me I don't really use Inkscape that much -mainly for auto tracing. For anything larger that will not fit my desktop scanner - I would use another method - digitizing tablet, auto tracer, etc. The pattern does not have to be large for either of these other methods to work well.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:58 am

It sounds like he wants to send the physical drawings to someone in order for them to be scanned and turned into DXF files. I am guessing he doesn't have, or perhaps doesn't know how to USE a flatbed scanner, or he may not be computer savvy.

For larger templates a flat bead scanner will not work - as has been previously discussed.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:52 am

I would like to see what the OP wants. He has not responded.
He has contacted me to discuss. I received an email this morning with some details and will proceed from here. He has around 20 patterns of various sizes, so we will see how it goes.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I have no doubt you will produce great files for him!

Joe

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”