Help with Design to cut out in Plasma

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
mallen4123
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help with Design to cut out in Plasma

Post by mallen4123 »

Hello everyone, I have recently set up my new Plasma Table and began cutting out purchased files. I am working on learning how to make my own.
i have a buddy who is wanting me to cut out a sign for him with his business name and logo.
In my attempts, The problem that i keep running into is that the logo face is half white and half black, which makes it disappear when i trace it in Inkscape.
I tried to add intersecting lines so that i would not lose the eyes and other features when they are cut out but i need alot more experience with this to get it right.
Can someone show me how this would be set up to cut on my Plasma Table?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help with Design to cut out in Plasma

Post by acourtjester »

The way I would do this is to cut out the black sections and place a solid back painted black or another color. the only places that may cause a problem is the lower lip part (needs a small bridge to connect it like the upper lip) and the insides of some letters. Here I show the top metal in red. :Like
lip 2.svg
lip 2.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by acourtjester on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

All the letters are going to be separate anyway so why not leave the eyes that other piece in the top right separate just as it is and keep the logo original. Of course with this approach you will need to mount all those pieces on a background.

Trying to bridge the components and do all of that so its one piece will not look good in my opinion.

Alternatively you could cut this so everything shown in black drops out as waste and the finished product is the material with those components cut out of it. This will eliminate you from having to attach all those individual letters and stuff to a background.

What approach are you leaning towards for this project?

As I was typing this acourtjester beat me to the Submit button and has done a great job, same as a my second suggestion but did all the bridging for you. He's got the skills and the speed!
mallen4123
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mallen4123 »

Thanks for the input! I think i will go the route of cutting out the black areas. He wants this made into a hood prop, so the added layer will give it more support and also look better.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Post you finished product so we can all enjoy.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
mallen4123
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mallen4123 »

Okay, i went in to the logo and attempted to bridge the area around the mouth so that i would not lose all of that detail when the black area was cut out, but ended up butchering it to the point of it not looking like his logo any longer. All of the video tutorials in Inkscape make it look so easy to do but i am finding out otherwise. i have alot of learning to do.
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

If you look at AC's post directly below your original post he has done all that work for you bridging the mouth and the text and i expect it will be good to go. Did you try opening that up?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

that are correct done deal
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill