Newbie just getting started

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
308billw
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Newbie just getting started

Post by 308billw »

Hi fellow cutters. I've just started pretending like I know how to trace a couple simple pictures. :) I've come across this one that is way over my head currently. Thought it would be a good one to be able to cut out tho so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie just getting started

Post by Larry83301 »

What software are you trying to learn and what size are you going to make your piece? How far have you gotten on this, where are you "stuck"? These questions need to be answered so that someone can "help" you learn how to proceed and learn to do files like this. Also what machine type are you planing to use to cut this, plasma, laser, router, 3D printer?

Larry
308billw

Post by 308billw »

I have tried a little bit on inkscape, draftsight, built in computer paint program, but honestly would rather pay for a program if it was simpler. lol. I have a 4 x 4 plasma table to cut it on and was thinking around 18 inches tall. I managed to trace an outline of a motorcycle on Draftsight and it actually came out pretty good but took quite a bit of time, and the "nodes" didn't really appear like I thought they would which made tweaking it a bit difficult. While it was fun trying there can't be any money in this doing it that way. So when I said I'm "stuck" on this picture it was more of a "if it took me that long hand tracing" a motorcycle outline then this will never happen. Is adobe photoshop a good option? Thanks
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

but honestly would rather pay for a program if it was simpler
There is no simple, one click, easy way. Most guys who do this use several programs, each to do a certain task that the program does well.
Acourtjester, a member here has videos on youtube instructing on Inkscape.
I use Autocad, not because it is simple but because I know the program fairly well and am comfortable with its commands. I make it work eventhough I know it is slow sometimes and cumbersome.
Pick a program, free or otherwise and sit down and learn how to use it. YouTube is a great instructor.
Another option is to use someone to convert for you. Ben DeLap, RobinHill and others charge a very fair fee to convert files. Save your time for the shop?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

tnbndr wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:12 pm
but honestly would rather pay for a program if it was simpler
There is no simple, one click, easy way. Most guys who do this use several programs, each to do a certain task that the program does well.
Acourtjester, a member here has videos on youtube instructing on Inkscape.
I use Autocad, not because it is simple but because I know the program fairly well and am comfortable with its commands. I make it work eventhough I know it is slow sometimes and cumbersome.
Pick a program, free or otherwise and sit down and learn how to use it. YouTube is a great instructor.
Another option is to use someone to convert for you. Ben DeLap, RobinHill and others charge a very fair fee to convert files. Save your time for the shop?
YEA, what he said. If you don't want to or are not willing to invest the time to learn some of the different CAD type or drawing with vector type programs it's better time wise to pay someone else to create the DXF file for you and then you can spend your time learning how to CUT the files, after you are comfortable cutting files you will want to expand into making your own files. When you begin to make your own files I suggest you start with something a little easier than the picture you posted.

Just my 2 cents, not a mandate by any means.

Larry
P.S. I've been using CNC machines and CAD/CAM programs since the mid 1980s and I'm still learning new things almost every day.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you want to try another free software package to do this download Paint.net and watch RDJ357's video on tracing :Yay using paint and play with the setting as he states. here is a quicky from your image more time will get more results. A lot of the shading will need to be removed with the setting in paint and the brightness cutoff threshold in Inkscape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzVGRx ... e=youtu.be
sign 33.JPG

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
308billw

Post by 308billw »

Thanks for the tips. I'm kinda glad to hear that I've already been going about it the right way as opposed to finding out that I was "riding a donkey" when I could have been "driving a Ferrari". :)
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

You are going to need some artistic ability to "trace" a picture like that and have it ready for plasma cutting. A plasma cut file is normally like a stencil file i.e. one single continuous piece, not multiple piece. A general bitmap image like the one you've shown has a great deal of detail that cannot simply be converted into something that can be cut. You literally "re-create" the drawing to look as close as possible to the original while leaving out all the shading, etc. Myself, I just don't have that arty ability, I'm much more mechanically capable.

And yeah, making money from that type of thing is hard if you don't have the capability. I've lost count of the amount of guys who've got away from custom work because of all the BS which can be involved. If you can't charge a customer up front, you might find yourself wasting a lot of time when the customers says, "Oh that's not how I thought it would look".
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Beefy is correct the arty images are harder to trace. But I have used the Paint program as RDJ357's video shows but if you do small sections of the drawing making a file for each changing some of the setting in paint as you do each one. Then assembly them in Inkscape like putting a puzzle together by using the import function in Inkscape so they are on the same page as you load each section. They will maintain the same size done this way. You can also remove some things as you bring them into Inkscape, to build a clearer drawing. It does take time but I have been pleased with the outcome when I worked on some like that, give it a try with a small section you may be surprised by what you can do.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SlagBandit
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SlagBandit »

I have to use a couple different programs when I do traces. But like most people I don't have a ton of time to learn a new program every time the art work I need brings a complete new challenge. I use Torchmate CAD for the majority of my outline traces but I also use Vinyl Master. Vinyl Master has a very good Line Tracing plug in that does a very good job on getting you to a starting point which then can be edited in CAD. I did this basic trace in Vinyl Master which will need some basic clean up. Look for "drop Outs" as I didn't get too in depth into it. Hope It helps or at least helps on learning.

Torchmate 4x4 Growth Series
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Torchmate 1 5x10
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller 225 MIG
Miller 210 Syncrowave TIG
308billw

Post by 308billw »

SlagBandit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:16 pm I have to use a couple different programs when I do traces. But like most people I don't have a ton of time to learn a new program every time the art work I need brings a complete new challenge. I use Torchmate CAD for the majority of my outline traces but I also use Vinyl Master. Vinyl Master has a very good Line Tracing plug in that does a very good job on getting you to a starting point which then can be edited in CAD. I did this basic trace in Vinyl Master which will need some basic clean up. Look for "drop Outs" as I didn't get too in depth into it. Hope It helps or at least helps on learning.
Thanks slagbandit, that's pretty cool. I didn't get to look at it earlier because I only had my phone. Looking forward to trying vinyl master and learning all I can about these other options.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Send that pic to Ben DeLap and ask for an estimate to convert to dxf. I bet you will be surprised.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”