need help

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
dwwelder
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

need help

Post by dwwelder »

does anyone know how to convert this pic? Its for a really good friend that wants a sign. We do mostly parts and im not sure where to start with this. Any help would be much appreciated

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: need help

Post by acourtjester »

One simple way is the get a screenshot of the plaque saved in JPeg, and import it into Inkscape (free program) and do a trace of it.
Then remove the fill and clean up the lettering adding bridges to the letters that the centers will fall out. this would be for Plasma cutting if routing set the G-code up for "V" carving. Most if not all are covered in YouTube videos, or you could contact Ben Delap to contract him or other here that do tracings to create a file for you. Once you learn how to do it the field is wide open as to what you can do.
DSCN3678.JPG
DSCN3901.JPG
pelican (2).JPG
pelican (4).JPG

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
dwwelder
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dwwelder »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:27 am One simple way is the get a screenshot of the plaque saved in JPeg, and import it into Inkscape (free program) and do a trace of it.
Then remove the fill and clean up the lettering adding bridges to the letters that the centers will fall out. this would be for Plasma cutting if routing set the G-code up for "V" carving. Most if not all are covered in YouTube videos, or you could contact Ben Delap to contract him or other here that do tracings to create a file for you. Once you learn how to do it the field is wide open as to what you can do.
DSCN3678.JPG
DSCN3901.JPG
pelican (2).JPG
pelican (4).JPG
thank u for the advice
mkingaz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mkingaz »

Use Snipping tool on our computer and make it a JPG, move over to inkscape and copy as a bitmap and your off and running. Good luck
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

mkingaz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 pm Use Snipping tool on our computer and make it a JPG, move over to inkscape and copy as a bitmap and your off and running. Good luck
I also use the "Prt Scr" key and paste into Paint from the clipboard, then you can save as a PCM or BMP if you wish.
Plasma.png
Like the example above. :Yay :Yay

Larry

robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Heya,

So this took 1 minute in Inkscape directly from the image you posted, took me about 15 times longer to type this lol. Import the image into inkscape. Select the image. Click Path -> Trace Bitmap.

Use one of the options. Brightness cutoff is the easiest, and then its a matter of adjusting it and see how you go with the results. I set this one to .690.

Click Trace Bitmap. This actually places the trace over the top of the original picture. Drag this away from the original. Delete the original so you don't get confused. You can tell the difference between the two because the original will not have the stroke and fill options available.

Once you have your trace only, select it. Click on the Fill and Stroke option at the bottom left hand of the screen (just below the rainbow-ey looking thing) This will open an option of the Fill and Stroke. On the fill menu TAB select none (little X box on the left) then click the Stroke Paint TAB. Select Black. This will give you your lines.

SAVE AS!! So basically click File -> Save As and then save it as a .dxf (desktop cutting plotter).

When it asks you about LWPolyline and stuff in the pop up menu, deselect both options and there you have it. You many need to do some fiddling and adjusting of the final .dxf. But it will get you pretty close on most black and white things.
quick trace - barber shop.dxf

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Well Ben it's been a long time since you have posted welcome back.
As Be shows with his description it is fairly easy to do what you wanted, easy to learn and do yourself, that makes going from idea to cutting much shorter.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

To get all the details from this drawing it needs to be about 36" x 34" FYI
Jim
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Saw this and thought I'd let you guys know that dwwelder was pointed in my direction in another post one day last week and I was happy to oblige. Thanks jester for the input here as well. :Like With a few brief messages he explained how he wanted this sign, one piece and the details/lettering tied together. Following his instruction this is what I came up with.
Kennesaw_PS.png
Ben! Good to see you here, been quite a while. Thank you for gracing our simple 2D page with your presence. :HaHa And also for the lesson in Inkscape. Maybe following your directions I'll finally be able to trace something. :Yay

Pretty much hit the nail on the head Jim, this came out to 31.5"x36" to be exact. :Like

Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

Thank you BensPlasmaAu for the easy instructions on how to trace and convert a picture to DXF. The way you wrote it out made it much easier to follow along and I could complete a project much faster then before. I saved your instructions for reference untill I get used to doing it your way as I only use Inkscape once in awhile. Thanks again!

Larry

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”