It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Help making DXF file from Pics

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
dtb

Help making DXF file from Pics

Postby dtb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 am

So I have really no idea were to start. A gentlemen came in with handcut template and wants us to create the files so we can cut him several at a time. Don't even know were to start. I have attached two file I need help converting. Size isn't that important I can always scale them to size. The turtle is 15 1/2" nose to tail and 14 1/2" wide. The mermaid is 58" tall. Any help would be more than greatly appreciated.

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help making DXF file from Pics

Postby acourtjester » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:39 pm

There is a problem with the images due to shading if you tried to do a digital trace. A simple solution for the turtle is to get a large sheet of paper and trace around it and mark through all the internal cut lines, then take a image of the trace and then use it for a digital trace.
You may be able to use back lighting for both again taking an image and then do a digital trace from that. Back lighting will remove the shading.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
CandCNC DTHC-IV & Feather Touch
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PM 256 tig

beefy

Re: Help making DXF file from Pics

Postby beefy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:41 pm

dtb wrote:So I have really no idea were to start.

Inkscape is free and there's lots of tutorials on Google, Youtube, etc on how to manually trace bitmaps. It can also auto-trace but that is not a magic wand and is very dependent on the bitmap image you are tracing. Very often you still have to manually edit an auto-traced drawing.

There's also Coreldraw (which I use and prefer), Adobe Illustrator, Vcarve Pro, and others that are paid software.
8 x 5 water table
Powermax 1250 with Duramax torch
UCCNC controller, UC400-ETH & UC300-ETH motion controllers.
Sheetcam
Geomagic Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw X5

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”