Snoopy

General software related questions should be posted here.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Snoopy

Post by Jfile »

Hi Everyone,

Just getting started so I really haven't dug in to the software that came with my table. One question that I have is, what software is recommended for tracing and creating final dxf files? I would think the software that runs the table is proprietary for the table but I assume, when it comes to designing, tracing and creating drawing files, you can use other applications so long as the end result is a dxf file that the table computer can read. Can you guys confirm if my thinking is correct?

I haven't even made my first cut yet (hopefully this weekend) but I have a request for a snoopy mail box topper. Here is a picture similar to what I want to create. I found a few Snoopy files on the forum but not lying down like this one. Basically I want to trace Snoopy (without the bird and dog house). I think the client even wants the ears left off and he's going to mount the Snoopy vertical on his mailbox and paint the black ears down each side of the mailbox. His wife is a huge Snoopy fan and I think if it turns out as I'm envisioning it, she will really like it. I just have to find out what software to load this jpg into so that I can edit it down to what I want.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.

Jeff
Attachments
Snoopy.jpg
Snoopy.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 645 times
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Snoopy

Post by acourtjester »

Congrats on getting started, I would start with small simple things like a square and circle, unless your table is all setup and ready to cut. You want to be sure you scale and tools setting are ready for you to cut finished products. Now I and many here use Inkscape to do our conversion from images/drawings to DXF you can also convert to SVG both can be used for G-code making. There are many other great software package to do the same thing but Inkscape is free and there are a great number of youtube videos so you can learn how to do many things with it
You snoopy image has a water mark so you may want to buy the image they go for about $5 to $8 from the Clip Art sites on the web. Doing a trace on that image the ware mark may come through, if you buy it that will be gone. :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Hey. Thanks for the reply. I picked up some 14 gauge metal today and I'm hopeful I can try some cutting this weekend. I like your idea of starting with some simple shapes. I didn't realize the metal was going to be as costly as it is so I don't want to jump in headfirst and waste it by trying to cut something fancy before I'm sure that I'm ready for it. The table is set up, the control software is installed and I learned how to "home" each of the axis today as well as zeroing them.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean about the scale and tools settings. Are those in the software that I use to cut drawings and shapes? By the way, I did end up downloading Inkscape. I'm not sure yet but it looks like it might be better than the CAD program that came with the table. It is called QCAD. Like you mentioned, there are lots of videos and tutorials for Inkscape, plus with a good many people using it, it will probably be easier when discussing issues with others, especially if that's what they are using.

Make sense about the watermark. I didn't think about that but for now I was just trying to get an idea of how to proceed. I will definitely look around for a royalty free image when I start that project or just purchase the image.

One thing that I didn't quite understand regarding the trace process. Does the software do that automatically and then you just touch up problem areas or is tracing pretty much a completely manual process?

Thanks,

Jeff
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It sometime seems like a mountain to clime but if you go slow and understand the why and where fore it becomes easier. By Scale the reason for CNC is to produce what you draw, if the table was not calibrated as to the distance traveled (steps per calibrations). A 1" square will not be a 1" square or a circle will not be round. Tool settings is knowing what speed each metal thickness needs to be and what amps and nozzle to use to do cutting. If you have a Hypertherm they post the tools setting in the manual these should be used when making a G-code for what you are cutting. Other things are how to cut, on the line of the drawing or an outside offset or inside offset, to use an lead in,out. Again these are entered in the G-code as it is made.
Now the trace some are very easy like a simple line drawing you load the image and do a trace bitmap to get a path to convert to DXF. Images are more complicated, Some photo cannot be traced as an auto function but hand traced (like tracing with a pen of what you want on top of the photo. You still may need to modify the trace after it has been make into a path by using the node tools.
here is a clip art I traced and broke apart so I could cut separate parts and assemble in a painted layered wall hanging.
If you send me a PM with you email I will send you a Google drive link to download a video of how I did this. :)
man cave 2.0.jpg
DSCN1991.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

Jfile wrote:Hey. Thanks for the reply. I picked up some 14 gauge metal today and I'm hopeful I can try some cutting this weekend. I like your idea of starting with some simple shapes. I didn't realize the metal was going to be as costly as it is so I don't want to jump in headfirst and waste it by trying to cut something fancy before I'm sure that I'm ready for it. The table is set up, the control software is installed and I learned how to "home" each of the axis today as well as zeroing them.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean about the scale and tools settings. Are those in the software that I use to cut drawings and shapes? By the way, I did end up downloading Inkscape. I'm not sure yet but it looks like it might be better than the CAD program that came with the table. It is called QCAD. Like you mentioned, there are lots of videos and tutorials for Inkscape, plus with a good many people using it, it will probably be easier when discussing issues with others, especially if that's what they are using.

Make sense about the watermark. I didn't think about that but for now I was just trying to get an idea of how to proceed. I will definitely look around for a royalty free image when I start that project or just purchase the image.

One thing that I didn't quite understand regarding the trace process. Does the software do that automatically and then you just touch up problem areas or is tracing pretty much a completely manual process?

Thanks,

Jeff
Hey Jeff, Welcome.

Acourtjester gave some great advice (as usual)

Just a quick suggestion, Check out the tool & garage organization thread. Lots of good stuff in there (some may need to be modified to fit your needs). Try cutting some of the welding tank hooks or bottle markers or grinder holders for example. Its a good way to practice and get something useful out of that expensive steel. :D

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13958

Return to “General Discussion”